Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 5th, 2005, 05:29 AM
salem5050

Default Wish I could get back the excitement of a first cruise!

On May 7 we will be going on our 5th cruise. I am excited, but sure wish I could get back that feeling I had before my first cruise!

Do you all feel the same way?

Of course there is excitement and experience with cruising multiple times, but wow, that feeling and anticipation can never be matched for that first cruise!!

Mary Margaret
Sponsored Links
Old April 5th, 2005, 05:33 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Wish I could get back the excitement of a first cruise!

That excitment comes from the unknown.
Sorry for the bad news but unfortunately you will never have it again in that way.
Its just like a drug so to speak.

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old April 5th, 2005, 07:22 AM
Admiral

Are you kidding? Each and every cruise is new and exciting to me! I can't wait to discover all that each new ship has to offer! This time, we are taking my daughter and her boyfriend, so in a way, it will be like experiencing it for the first time, through their eyes.

donna

Old April 5th, 2005, 09:11 AM
Jeanne&Ellis

We have been on 20 cruises and the excitement is still always there, guess it depends on the person. A new ship is a new adventure, new people and i only have 3 more days till my 21st!!
Old April 5th, 2005, 09:22 AM
pcboston

Salem5050..........The way to keep the excitement is to try different ships, different cruise lines and different itineraries, and get to see as many different ports as possible. Some people stick to only one line and I think you cheat yourself that way, because, variety, after all, IS "THE SPICE OF LIFE" For me, boarding a new ship and exploring it, seeing what it has to offer, and experiencing new countries is what cruising is all about. Its the predictability that gets old after awhile, just like in the rest of life. I have done 7 cruises so far and am ready for #8 in less than 3 weeks, and am as excited as the first time. Have never repeated a ship so far, although if a ship I had been on offered a really unique itinerary, I would be tempted. I have tried 5 cruise lines so far and each has their pros and cons, I do have my favorites but each has had some value in its own way. I also enjoy going with people who have never gone before, it IS fun to see it all again in someone elses eyes. Don't be afraid to try out something different, you limit your experience when you do. Only after doing that can you really know which ones are best for you and fit your vacation needs and expectations. Happy cruising to all!
Old April 5th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I do think the first cruise is just that..it won't happen again...Seeing things for the VERY first time,is exhilerating, and having your head on swivle like a kid in a candy store..

That said..EVERY cruise will make your heart flutter, if you are a true Cruisemate.
Seeing different ships, exploring new nooks and crannys, will excite you, in a different way. each one no less enjoyable, and that flutter in your stomach will be there again. The research, the planning, the waiting, the terminal, the walk up the gangway, all build to that wonderful feeling of "Lets Eat!...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 5th, 2005, 10:06 AM
Admiral

I think I feel what Mary Margaret feels, There was an anticipation and and elation
that although still there is no longer as intense. We have a cruise scheduled for 3 and a half weeks from now and I haven't even taken down a suitcase or checked to see if my tux is pressed. We have certainly been "changingup" the destinations and that helps to add to the excitement. We have also added a bit of pre and post in new cities that add a lot. In addition, we have backed off a bit on every vacation being a cruise.
Basically we now do one a year where we were doing two. Kind of makes the cruise , when it comes up, more "special".
This upcoming trip is a new ship for us (Century) but sailinf is from Ft Lauderdale (been there done that) and all 4 ports are places we have been at least twice and in some cases 3 or 4 times or more. I must admit , although I "need" the vacation, I am not anticipating it like I did the Vancouver/Alaska/west coast trip we did last fall.
Old April 5th, 2005, 10:37 AM
venice

I understand your thought salem5050...It's almost like comparing your first cruise to the first time you were really in love..there is something special and magical about both of them that any cruise or love interest , after that ,is not quite the same

all the posters make a great points..what you also might want to consider is taking a break from cruising and the longer you are away from it the greater the anticipation will be when you do it again (once again, like falling in love)
Old April 5th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Maxine

I agree the excitement and wonder of our first cruise (in 2000) will always be a great memory. When I have had a bad day, before I go to sleep I imagine I am boarding the ship, getting my welcome champagne, ........ and soon I am asleep.

Having said that, we were on Millennium March 6-13 (cruise #6) and even though it has been a month I still have cruise withdrawal. To me there is no vacation like a cruise - it's the only time in life I feel truly pampered - and I haven't even tried the spa yet! We do love a balcony, and I would rather have that than spa treatments.

My nephew and his family are on their first cruise - Disney Wonder. Each day I think of them and hope their cruise experience is as great as ours have been. Wish I was cruising now!
Old April 5th, 2005, 02:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

We have been on 12 cruises, and everyone of them is just as "exciting" as the first one!! We look forward to each cruise.
But its a personal thing, and everyone has their opinion and thats what makes the world go around.

Old April 5th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

We have been on 12 cruises, and everyone of them is just as "exciting" as the first one!! We look forward to each cruise.
But its a personal thing, and everyone has their opinion and thats what makes the world go around.

Old April 5th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

the first time is the best, have been on carvnival a few times on 4 night cruises, it was fun but the same ports, really didn't have time to do longer, always had the kids or inlaws, love the heck out of them, this time it is just the wife and i and let me tell ya i am as excited as a kid at christmas, what else is new. this time we are going on 8 days 7 nites to the eastern carrib, leaving on the 10th, and let me tell you if it were up to me we would leave today and camp out at the port, so excited as the first yessss i ammmm, we are trying a new cruise line, new for us, costa mediterrenna, italian theme and we are vey excited about that
Old April 5th, 2005, 03:50 PM
Admiral

Although each subsequent cruise is exciting, they will never match the first. On the first cruise you wondered about what the ship is like, will we get sea sick, how is dinner served, what the cabins looked like, what is there to do on the ship, how will people dress, etc.

There were just so many unknowns on that first one.

Regards,
Thomas
Old April 5th, 2005, 04:28 PM
Cruisingrandma

Hi, We treat every cruise as if it was our first. We get all the info together and we go to different places so it is like a first cruise. We try to make it different ships. Newer ships. Thats so exciting... Plus we do book a yr in advance and then we have a monthly crusie news letter sent to all our group. Our group is a group oa 10 to 12. 12 this trip coming up. Then we have cruise meetings. We go out to brunch and have meetins and talk about the cruise. We make it all new every time... We have lots of fun. We are not all young folks kind of half and half. We range in age from 21 to 66.... All family... cousins and there kids. So i guess what I am saying is it is what u make of it. and we make it all new and all exciting.... happy cruising....
Old April 5th, 2005, 05:54 PM
Admiral

For me, every cruise is still new and exciting. However, I've only been on three cruises so far so that's probably the reason for it. I might feel differently after I've been on 10 or 20 or them. But for now it's still exciting and I think one way to keep it fresh is to try a different cruise line each time, if possible. And if you have to repeat, go on a different class ship than the one you went on before. Choosing an itinery that has ports you've never been to before also helps. That way there will always be something new for you to experience whether it be a different ship, a different cruise line or new itineray.

Gail
Old April 6th, 2005, 02:01 PM
libbynan

My experience, I guess, is a little different. My DH and I were very apprehensive about our 1st cruise..... he was worried about motion sickness and I was worried about crowds. As it happens, we had a great time and would already have been on another cruise if we had not both had to be treated for cancer. We are currently searching for cruises to book. But we did not discover Cruisemates until after our cruise. We know that because of the info we have gotten here and because of our good experience on the 1st cruise, our level of anticipation and excitement will be much higher the next time around.
Old April 8th, 2005, 09:13 AM
Captain

Take someone with you who has never cruised. See the excitment in their eyes. That is even more exciting. It's awesome.

ROMANS 8:28

VIKING SERENADE 1993
HOLIDAY 1995
HOLIDAY 1997
HOLIDAY 1998
ECTASY 1999
ELATION 2000
STAR PRINCESS 2002
SPIRIT 2003
NCL STAR 2004
PRIDE 2005
PRIDE 2006
PARADISE 2007
MS OOSTERDAM 2008
SPLENDOR 5/2010

Carnival Splendor
Old April 8th, 2005, 09:43 AM
Passenger

I was not looking forward to our first cruise AT ALL! DH kept trying to persuade me to go but I was sure the "boat" would sink. So...he gave me a cruise for Christmas to force me into it. It was on Song of America, and we had a very forward outside cabin. Arrived at our first port (Cozumel) while it was still dark in the morning. Suddenly, there was a HUGE, metallic noise that jolted my frazzled nerves out of bed. Grabbing my life jacket (always near me) I race out into the hallway in my shortie pj's to be ready to get off. Then I heard my DH's voice (he didn't even get out of bed) saying calmly "Get back in here - that's the anchor being dropped!" I had wondered why I was the only one in the hall. At that point I pictured how I must look with my hair standing on end in my shorties halfway into the life jacket. It was just SO embarrassing! He still tells that story to this day. After that, I guess I was just "shamed straight" and let myself enjoy the experience. Just got back from our 13th, on the Radiance and love each one better than the last. Booked the Jewel on board for next spring.