Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 6th, 2005, 10:51 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Cruisin' Meme
Default OT: Pet insurance?

Just looking for anyone who may have pet insurance and whether you think it's worthwhile. My dh and I have become overwhelmed by the health problems of 3 of our 4 pets (2 dogs & 2 cats), and we're considering insurance through VPI. It wouldn't cover a lot of existing issues, so it wouldn't save us much there; but it would have covered the $900 surgery my dog just had on her knee from an injury. And, who knows when another incident might happen? We already spend hundreds of dollars a month on regular meds and foods, and an injury just about undoes us financially. (In fact, had I not already booked our upcoming cruise when it happened, we wouldn't be going. Bummer.) We realize now that 4 pets is too many when healthcare issues stack up, but they're ours now and hindsight is 20/20. We're trying to do our best in the situation. Just wondering if any of you have experience with this subject or company. Thanks!
-Amy
Sponsored Links
Old April 7th, 2005, 12:40 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C
Default Re: OT: Pet insurance?

Most pet insurance companies go out of business quickly. They relize that pets are expensive to insure. Once the company goes belly up you are out of luck, paid all those premiums and no coverage.

These companies also insure pets to a certain age, knowing that the elder years cost them big bucks. Last time I checked it was 6 to 7 years old.

Wish I had a better answer for you. We love our pets but as they get older the medical costs increases.

Old April 7th, 2005, 02:57 AM
Admiral

After Watson the Dachshund had to have back surgery at 3 years old to a tune of $3500 I checked on the insurance. I decided not to get it since there is so many non-coverage clauses. It really seemed like the only thing the insurance would cover is the price of euthanasia if they get cancer between 8.5 and 8.75 years old if the dog has one red ear and one brown ear.

Regards,
Thomas
Old April 7th, 2005, 07:14 AM
Admiral

Pet Insurance has many non-inclusive items, so you really have to know your breed and it's "regular" health problems, or be a mind reader and guess what problems they might have in the future. Our so-called top-of-the-line purebred Golden Retriever had so many unusual medical crises in her first 11 months, she ended up costing us over $2,500 before she was a year old. Only then did I look into pet insurance, and she was rejected because of her long medical history!
On the other hand, my dog's sister's owner (a friend) bought pet insurance the day she brought her home, and has been lucky to have her covered for average vet visits, x-rays etc. and will need the help in the future due to the fact the dog has been diagnosed with hip dysplasia. Yes, another fine, pure-bred, specimen from a "reputable" breeder!

donna

Old April 7th, 2005, 08:06 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

We have had pet insurance before, but it didn't cover enough so we dropped it.
You love your pets and they are part of the family, sometimes it is best just to let go, as hard as that is to do. If they are suffering and quality of life is no longer for their good.
Old April 7th, 2005, 09:16 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Amy,

The company you mentioned has been around for a while and is a relatively good one. Just remember that you must pay everything up front and then be reimbursed by the insurance company the amount the policy allows. You may not be reimbursed anything if it is not covered.

Pet insurance can be a good thing in the event of injury. Most policies will not cover genetic problems such as hip dysplasia. Pet insurance is not worth it for standard care such as shots, and check ups. You will pay more for the insurance than the office visits and shots.

However, one accident and surgery can cost thousands of dollars. I'm taking care of Molly the dog who was hit by a car. Total bill at the U of M for orthopedic: Open Hip reduction, elbow reconstruction, plus all the x-rays, medications etc: $3,645. This doesn't even take into consideration the (gratis)$1800 + of emergency care (closed reduction, lung inflation, x-rays, hospitalization) that my daughter gave her before surgery. Plus, I am basically giving her hospitalization here at my house with my daughter changing her splint and bandages every other day. If we were not in this situation the total recovery cost for the dog would be around $6,500. I'm somewhat lucky, I only had to pay just over half that amount, someone else would've had to pay the whole thing.

Just remember most pet care policies have a cap of between $10,000 and $15,000 over the life of the animal.

Most animals go their whole lives without having nothing more than getting bit by the neighbors cat or stepped on by Uncle Ernie.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 7th, 2005, 10:43 AM
Admiral

Amy
Want to save some money? A little advice from your ol’ Uncle Jason. This works only If you buy pedigree animals though. These animals usually come with a 1 year guarantee.
Dear wife Carol has a Miniature Pincher, Tasha. When ever Tasha becomes ill, I volunteer to take her to the veterinarian. Instead of taking her to the Vet, I take her back to the breeder, where they replace her with a new one. When I bring the new dog home, I tell Carol that the Vet has given her a shot, and she's cured. However, the shot has a side effect, that makes her look younger and complete memory loss. So she will need to be retrained altogether…
This works like a charm…By the way…our Tasha is 40 years old (that’s 280 in dog years)

Did I mention that my wife is a true blond???

and laughing is contagious,
here’s hoping for an epidemic!
Old April 7th, 2005, 12:53 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Cruisin' Meme

Jason, you're an ornery fellow! <g> Thanks to everyone for your input. I was already aware that there's an awful lot the insurance wouldn't cover, thus my hesitancy to purchase it. Just wanted other folks' thoughts, too. We'll probably just stick to life without it and hope for the best.
-Amy