Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 8th, 2005, 02:11 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C
Default Phone company, saga continues

Well, I have placed 8 repair calls to get my computer, fax and DSL line to be corrected. Let alone if I decide to use the voice portion with all the static no one would be able to understand.

Today there was 2 technicians out and they determined there is a problem, intermittent, but a problem. Did they solve it, NO. Turned over to cable maintenance. Now comes more battles, will they solve my problem??

I'm so tired of getting nowhere with this company. The speed of DSL is down to a slow crawl, dial up is like the days of having a Commodore 64 (300 baud).

Can't get on chat because it takes so long to log in. Posting messages here is like pulling teeth.

I'm just frustrated beyond belief. Pride in the job today is non existent. Blame it on someone else, turn it over to another department to get out from under the problem so those people do not have to deal with it. Sheesh no expertise these days.

Round trip San Francisco Mex Riv, Mercury May 4, 2005

Sea of Cortez on Ryndam 9-28-2005

Round trip Los Angeles to Hawaii, Summit March 26, 2006

Post Edited (04-08-05 02:15)

Sponsored Links
Old April 8th, 2005, 02:37 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Phone company, saga continues

I beg to differ with you Steve, re: "Pride in the job today is non existent".
As you may or may not know I am a business fault man for TelstraClear over here in NZ.

I am disappointed that you have had bad service from your telco. There are tech's out there that do have pride in their performance and customer satisfaction.
I believe that I may be one of these tech's.

I believe this, as I myself have been disconnected several times for no good reason and I have been extremely peeved at the situation.

I had an ISDN basic rate fault today that I was very hesitant to carry on through with as I was at a lose to find the reason for the problem.
BUT, with the help of one of the Exchange tech's we managed to find a possible reason for this customers problems. Unfortunately we believe it lies with the pabx itself with slow messaging response on the D channel leaving the exchange no option but to remove the tei.

Recently I also recommended that a cable fault team inspect / repair a possible faulty joint in the cable feeding a company here in Wgtn,NZ. No one believed me enough to take action. After chopping various customer ccts to spare pairs in the cable and the customer screaming blue murder at his customer rep and me escalating the issue to my managers manager, something was done. Funnily enough they found a joint enclosure that was full of water. Well bugger me. (NZ saying). I just had to say "told you so" to my manager.

I hope you manage to get this issue sorted with the help of "cable maintenance".
I suggest you calculate how much your dsl has slowed and apply the same reduction to the bill they send you. You are obviously not getting what you are paying for!

GOOD LUCK!

"CABLE RULES! OK"

Post Edited (04-08-05 02:41)

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old April 8th, 2005, 02:52 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

Hi Ho Lombard (Liam),

Maybe you should fly over here and solve my problem. I too am a technician and take pride in my work and grab the bull by the horns to solve a problem. I do not give up or turn it over to another. I believe in solving a difficult problem no matter how long it takes, especially intermittent problems. Our customers always ask for me and no one else because I get the job done.

I work in digital imaging and computer generated equipment. Also work with our legacy engineering microfilm machines. If I can't solve the problem that day I lie awake at night going through everything in my mind to correct the problem.

Yep, there are still some of us that have PRIDE in the job we perform.

Round trip San Francisco Mex Riv, Mercury May 4, 2005

Sea of Cortez on Ryndam 9-28-2005

Round trip Los Angeles to Hawaii, Summit March 26, 2006

Old April 8th, 2005, 02:59 AM
Admiral

I have the same problem with sleeping also.
I continously work things over in my mind with a difficult fault/issue before I manage to fall asleep.

Maybe we should start a company called PRIDE.

I'm sure that beenie weenie will have something to contibute to this thread.

Post Edited (04-08-05 03:30)

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old April 8th, 2005, 07:28 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb

Y2C and Lombard---DUH.

Cruising on Ruby Princess: September 22, 2015. 10 Days, From New York to Quebec City. My 98th Cruise!
Old April 8th, 2005, 07:28 AM
Admiral

Y2C, sorry you are still having troubles with your phone company. It reminds me of the continuing saga of the oil company I have been dealing with over my mom's house. I think you have to pass a stupidity test to work there, then no-one is allowed to know what anybody else is doing! Frustrating to say the least!

donna

Old April 8th, 2005, 08:02 AM
Admiral

Hang in there Steve, it will get better next week and somebody will solve the problem. I'm sure you are aware that this week is Stupid Week.

Regards,
Thomas
Old April 8th, 2005, 08:25 AM
libbynan

Reminds me of what RD posted earlier this week, "Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity." I've told that one to everyone I've seen this week. Never fails to evoke falling-down-in-the-floor laughter. This problem (lack of pride, lack of service mentality, whatever) is universal.
Old April 8th, 2005, 09:11 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Steve:

I'll be out there next Tuesday. I'll bring my set of LanCat's out and we'll test the run between the junction box and your house. If they fail I'll save the test results for the telco. In the mean time we'll run an overland link from your junction box to your d-marc. I can run a jumper from your current pairs in the junction box to a set of open pairs and then to the overland. That will take care of any cable problems until they get it fixed.

Will you take care of the fines and feed Kramer while I'm in Federal prison for tampering with the junction box?

Seriously: If your neighbors are not experiencing the same problem, the problem has to be in your cable run between the junction and your house, your cable pair in the box, or in the C.O. The most likely is the cable run between the junction and your house.

BTW: Did this problem start happening after you started your landscaping and gradually become worse? Changes in landscaping can cause water to settle in different places in the yard and gradually wear through old cabling causing "intermittent" problems. I hope they put in a new run. It may mean trenching your yard but it would be worth it in the long run.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 8th, 2005, 09:15 AM
Cruisin K and J

I can sympathize, Steve. Our computer went down before we sailed. The problem was in the phone company's line. And as you expeienced, the tech couldn't fix it and turned it over to the cable maintenance people. He insisted that the line was fixed, but the computer still is not right, and it's a very simple dial up one. DSL is not available here. But I sometimes think that people just have way too much tech stuff on their computers. Maybe simple is best.

Judy
Old April 8th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hang in ther Y2C,
I thought a short while ago you had the problem pin pointed and it was just a matter of fixing it?? Hopefully it will get fixed and soon!

Keep us posted, OK?

Message Boards Moderator