Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 15th, 2005, 08:05 AM
Admiral

Default A Funny, True Cruise Story

You will love this!

Chris and I mark the end of a cruise by retiring the shipboard card of the previous cruise. We marked the end of our Enchantment cruise by retiring our Sensation card. We marked the end of our Inspiration cruise by retiring our Enchantment card. And today, I marked the end our most recent cruise (Sensation) by retiring the Inspiration card. The retirement process consists of putting a strip of magnetic backing on the cards and sticking them on my filing cabinet.

The reason we wait to retire the cards is that they get used well after they expire. We use the card of the previous cruise as the safe key for the new cabin. It's our nutty little way of keeping our cruises connected. What it means, however, is that we always have the cards for two different ships on every cruise. And that habit has now gotten funny twice!

Aboard Enchantment, after securing the safe contents, I put the Sensation card in my pocket, then off we went to a cocktail party for our cruise group. Immediately after the party, we went to our first dinner in the dining room. You should have seen the maitre d's face when I handed him the card to verify our seating assignment. He cleared his throat, and said, "Sir, you're not only on the wrong ship, you're on the wrong cruise line, not to mention several months late!" The whole group got to laugh as I mumbled my apology and fumbled in my pocket for the correct card.

Now jump forward to a week ago last Monday. We were in the waiting area of the New Orleans terminal. Chris had just told that Enchantment story to some nice folks we had met the day before at Riverwalk, and were now waiting with us to board Sensation. Everyone was having a nice laugh at my expense when the boarding announcement came.

I was carrying several bags in my lap as Chris pushed my wheelchair. Everything, of course, had to go through x-ray. After they got out of x-ray, they got hurriedly and quite inconveniently restacked on my lap.

As we approached the photo machine that matches face to card, Chris jokingly reminded me to make sure I hand over the correct card--more laughter. Precariously balancing the carryons with one hand, I handed the card to the crewman, the picture got taken and I officially became a passenger.

Then came Chris's turn. She confidently handed her card to the crewman. "CARD FRAUD! SEE TICKET AGENT!" said the mechanized voice. The crewman reinserted the card and got the same result.

It was my turn to laugh. "Read the card," I suggested.
"Wrong ship!" said the crewman, a bit startled.
Chris was only slightly embarrassed about the irony. She giggled, handed him the correct card, and became an official passenger, too. At least, this time, the wrong ship was on the right cruise line.

I may dwell on the land, but I live at sea!

Steve

Sensation
Summit

Sensation 2/03 I disembarked, but never really left the ship.
Enchantment 9/03 Just had to go back.
Inspiration 3/04 Just have to go back again, and again, and again...
Sensation 04/05 The vessel made me do it!
Summit 03/06 It's Margaret's fault!
Sponsored Links
Old April 15th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Admiral

Default Re: A Funny, True Cruise Story

That's an interesting procedure you guys follow, Steve. But I don't umderstand one thing. When you say "shipboard card", I assume you're referring to the Sign & Sail card or whatever it's called. If that's so, my question is how do you use the card from one cruise line as a safe key on a different line? Or for that matter, on another ship of the same line? On some lines, the safe is opened by a numerical combination which you set yourself. But if I remember, Carnival's safes are opened with your S&S card...right? Do you mean that your S&S card from another CCL ship will open the safe on your current CCL ship? And how did that work on the Enchantment OTS?

Regardless, your story of how the retained cards got you in hot water on a following cruise was really funny. You, I can understand ... but I'm surprised that Chris made a similar booboo! <BG>

Jack

Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old April 15th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Admiral

That is funny, Steve!

Jack, you can use any card with a magnetic strip to open and lock the safes. Some people use their sail & sign key (although that's probably not a smart thing to do), some use a credit card, I've heard of people even using grocery store discount cards.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old April 15th, 2005, 10:15 PM
Admiral

Great stories Seahunks! Thanks for sharing.

donna

Old April 16th, 2005, 12:55 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

I've used a library card to open safes on cruise lines that have the safes that require a magnetic strip card. Another reason I love Princess and Celebrity - they have the code safes - you make up a 4 digit code and that is what you use.

Steve - I would have loved to see both yours and Chris' faces when it happened. Priceless is what I would call it!

Old April 16th, 2005, 05:45 AM
Admiral

Any magnetic stripped card can be used for the safe. On the first cruise, we used our AAA card. As someone else said, don't use a credit card, and don't use the S&S card, because it's backed by a credit card--just a further security precaution.

Yes, I enjoyed the irony. A minute before she nudged me about my previous faux pas, then does the same thing!

Steve

Sensation
Summit

Old April 18th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Yeoman

I also have what I think is a funny cruise story. Years ago my sister and I sailed on the Pacific Princess, and at that time the entire dining room staff was all Italian. We were seated at a dining room table with all attractive single women. Unbeknowst? to any of us one of the women was born and raised in Italy so of course she was fluent in the Italian language. She had no accent and never spoke a word of Italian during the cruise, however the last day she let the waiters have it. Come to find out the waiters had cute little names for each of us, and went into detail about what they "would like" to do to each us. She told the waiters in their language that she listened to their filthy mouths all week and she would not report them this time, however if she ever returned for another cruise and they had'nt cleaned up their act, they would be reported.

Waiters beware, because you never know who may be listening!

Happy Sailing.

Carol
Old April 19th, 2005, 07:37 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: A Funny, True Cruise Story

Ha ha! Good for her!

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old April 20th, 2005, 10:49 AM
Admiral

Another funny thing, I just remembered, was due to the location of our OV cabin, and NOLA's odd boarding logistics. I have yet to see anything like it anywhere else--only 4 cruises, go figure.

Our cabin was E-71, two doors away from the gangway, and on the same deck where it entered the ship. NOLA uses a circuitous gangway with sharp corners, similar to ride queues at amusement parks. Our window was only 5 feet or so away from a gangway segment that ran parallel to the ship. As pax walked up the ramp, they approached our window. When we got into the cabin, I crawled over the bed, and opened the curtain.

Suddenly, I felt like a kid on a school bus. A lot of approaching pax stopped to enthusiastically wave at me. If I had been thinking, I would have taken pictures of the people who stopped to wave at my idiotically grinning face before making the turn. It would have been hilarious to indulge in some facial mischief, and take pictures of their reactions.

Steve

Summit