Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 17th, 2005, 07:12 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Rogue Wave/ NCL Dawn

I just saw on tv that the Dawn was hit by a rogue wave,while on it's way back to NYC....The wave was said to go as high as the 9th and 10th deck, flooding 62 cabins ans breaking 2 windows, with people scurrying to safety. Four people were injured.The ship is in Charleston SC. The Captain has reported,"he has never seen anything like it in his 20 yrs. at sea.".NCL said the safety of the ship was never compromised.I am sure we will hear LOTS more , when our Cruisemates come home..

Post Edited (04-17-05 07:16)

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old April 17th, 2005, 07:16 AM
susancruzs

Default Re: Rogue Wave/ NCL Dawn

I just heard that, too! They happen, with no warning, I remember reading about HAL's Rotterdam being hit years ago and I think the QE2 has, too!

I'm sure we'll hear lots about it!

Susie
Old April 17th, 2005, 07:30 AM
MagnoliaBlossom

You can read the whole article on the Drudge Report (www.drudgereport.com).
Pretty frightening.
Magnolia Blossom
Old April 17th, 2005, 08:27 AM
Admiral

YIKES! I don't need to hear that less than a week from sailing! I hope everyone onboard was OK. Any Cruisemates we know on that cruise?

donna

Old April 17th, 2005, 08:29 AM
Admiral

That must have been some ride! I hope the injured passengers are not injured too badly.

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old April 17th, 2005, 08:41 AM
Administrator
Admiral

There were no serious injuries and the ship is on its way back to New York. I personally believe that like in any incident such as this, it isn't as bad as most news reports are making it out to be and not as trivial as the cruise line says it is.

I spoke with a number of passengers of the Crown Odyssey (now Norwegian Crown) in 2000, when it was hit by a rogue wave off of Palma de Mallorca and had to dock behind us in Barcelona. Some windows were broken and a two or three people in balcony cabins were injured. The people we spoke with were scared but they commended the crew on how they handled the situation. We were on the Renaissance R2 and our second cruise. My wife was a bit worried after that but it didn't deter us from cruising.

The interesting thing is that no matter how much I have researched I have only found two small stories about the Crown Odyssey's encounter with the rogue wave and one just mentions that it had mechanical problems and had to divert to Barcelona.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 17th, 2005, 08:52 AM
dtigerr

I was on the Dawn last March and the remnants of a wave soaked people in deck chairs on the top deck. We had very heavy waves and were unable to stop at their private island.

I hope everyone onboard will be okay.
Old April 17th, 2005, 09:37 AM
Admiral

Mike I agree with your statement: "I personally believe that like in any incident such as this, it isn't as bad as most news reports are making it out to be and not as trivial as the cruise line says it is."

I'd gladly take my chances at sea any day of the week instead of the rush hour traffic! Thankfully, no one was seriously injured.

Have you played CruiseMates Cruise Trivia Today?
Old April 17th, 2005, 10:19 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Rogue Wave/ NCL Dawn

An interesting article on the study of rogue waves may be found at http://www.esa.int/esaCP/SEMOKQL26WD_index_0.html. A more general article may be found at http://www.marinelog.com/DOCS/NEWSMMV/2005apr17.html.
JOE
Old April 17th, 2005, 12:11 PM
Admiral

Actually it was not so much a "rogue" wave as just one bigger than the rest. The seas this week between Bermuda and the USA were running as high as 70' because of a big storm out there. Looked like a hurricane on the sat photos but it was not tropical in nature. These waves are really not all that rare even though it is not common, in that area. I have traversed that area myself in the past on Uncle Sams ships and we once had waves comming over the flight deck of an aircraft carrier! The poor guys in the destroyers and cruisers were under the water part of the time! I am very glad that nobody was seriously injured and that goes to demonstrate just how seaworthy today's cruiseships are.
Jim

Old April 17th, 2005, 12:22 PM
Lynne &Trevor

That's why I prefer larger ships to small ones. Even at that, when we hit the Jeanne swells last year on the Caribbean Princess before turning around, they wreaked havoc. No major injuries,etc, but the waves seem to stall the ship for a moment or two before going back out.And, they weren't even 47 ft as reported for the Dawn. The worst part for the passengers, although it was "fun" for the kids, was the water being pushed back and forth in the pools. Eventually they were closed for safety reasons after a woman hurt her arm when a pool wave pulled her into the stair rail in the pool.

I'm glad that the passengers are ok on the Dawn. I'm sure we'll be hearing and seeing some of the tales. Lynne

PS. Trevor served on an aircraft carrier and almost got blown overboard during a rain and wind storm. It doesn't take much for waves, wind, etc to affect our ships.

Old April 17th, 2005, 12:39 PM
Yeoman

We were on the Dawn last month. We had some pretty rough water the first day out & a lot of people were really feeling it. I can only imagine getting hit by a wave that big. It must have been pretty scary. I just hope everyone is well & they will get back on another cruise & make up for this one.
Nancy

Explorer of the Seas
Old April 17th, 2005, 05:05 PM
Passenger

Questoin, do these waves only hit on the East coast cruises? I've never heard of it before. Won't deter me from crusing ither!

Old April 18th, 2005, 07:39 AM
Iceman

Hello all you must remember we are in a world now of media that likes to make things worse than they are. I have been watching my local news here in NJ and you see the same 3 people interviewed one guy saying and I quote " they were playing the TITANIC song on the panio and we felt like we were on the Titanic". Get real here. Why do you not see any interviews with passangers that say NCL did a good job under the given problem. I would love for the media to take a survey of all the passangers coming off the ship and see home many would go on another cruise. I am sure it will be a high number. I can't wait to see the afternoon news I am sure there will be happy and sad people and lots of LAYERS lined up giving out cards.

Iceman NJ
Old April 18th, 2005, 07:47 AM
MagnoliaBlossom

I really feel sorry for NCL because the media is NOT going to give them a break - after all they are a big bad business who commit the evil act of making a profit! FoxNews said the Dawn docks today in NYC and they will have cameras there. Hopefully Fox will get some interviews with real cruisers not just whiners.
MagnoliaBlossom
Old April 18th, 2005, 11:17 AM
adeline

I' m worried as i'm cruising in northern europe in mid may. how can i find out what the seas there have been like in the past. any idea ?
Old April 18th, 2005, 07:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

"Ship happens".
Old April 18th, 2005, 10:13 PM
Palm Trees

If this happend at dawn, where is the piano being played??