Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 18th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Admiral

Default Next stop..........Havana!

Do you think Cuba will be a future cruise stop once Fidel kicks the bucket? Do you think the city of Havana is worthy of a stop? Has anybody been to this city who can describe it's current condition nowadays?

Regards,
Thomas
Sponsored Links
Old April 18th, 2005, 03:14 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Next stop..........Havana!

I certainly hope so! The lights of that city on the horizon look just too intriguing from a passing cruise ship. Imagine the routing possibilities with Havana or Cienfuegos as a port of call.

I may dwell on the land, but I live at sea!

Steve

Summit

Sensation 2/03 I disembarked, but never really left the ship.
Enchantment 9/03 Just had to go back.
Inspiration 3/04 Just have to go back again, and again, and again...
Sensation 04/05 The vessel made me do it!
Summit 03/06 It's Margaret's fault!
Old April 18th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Admiral

I don't know, but I really want to go!

I have a coworker who went on a mission trip with his church and he said it was really interesting and definitely worth seeing.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old April 18th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I have said for many years now, when he dies I want to go..Cruising there will be the best way to see it, since it will take years to build up the infrastructure to our standards..There was a magazine, now defunct, called South Florida, which I subscribed to, that devoted one whole issue to..what, and when IF.........Carnival,back then, said, they were poised to be the first cruiseline to go in...with every other one following behind...

The stories inside the magazine, which I saved, were so very interesting.....One mentioned that when family visits from Miami...they dress in multiple, and I do mean many ,many layers of clothing on the plane, so that when they land, they just peel it off and give it to their families..This way they can bring more then the luggage regulations would have allowed...I also wonder when this invariably does happen, how many Cubans will actually decide to return to their changed homeland. Lots of tears will be shed when this situation does happen.

Post Edited (04-19-05 06:39)

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 18th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Admiral

I think not only Havana , but all of Cuba will literally burst with tourism some time after the death of Castro. Hilton, Sheraton, Fairmont, Ritz, Windham, Marriott and more will be waiting to build new highrises facing the water. Cruise Lines will line up for dock space in a new Caribbean destination. There is a huge beautiful untapped and unvisited culture lying only 90 miles off our shores just waiting to trade dollars for new cars. Just think of all the good mid 50's Chevy's that will appear on the US market for restoration. Do you think some day Guantanimo Bay will be just like the Royal Navy Dockyards in Bermuda?
Old April 18th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I haven't gone to Cuba, though from Canada it's not difficult. Have had several close friends go, and other than a few upper end all inclusives with nice beaches, none really raved. Thus it didn't draw my attention enough to visit myself.

It has some allure to Americans because it's forbidden.

Off course it's close proximity to the US will make it "explode" with development once it's allowed. Not sure if that's going to be a good or bad thing.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old April 18th, 2005, 05:27 PM
CruzinK&J

I agree with Kuki that tourism could be both bad and good. Too bad some laws, rules and regulations coujldn't be instated before Cuba is exploited like so many other places. Havana is popular with Europeans but they aren't as fussy as Americans are. I have no urge to go there until the standards there are better for safety as well as tourism.

Judy
Old April 18th, 2005, 06:02 PM
libbynan

I watched a special on current Cuban music on one of our HD channels right after we got our HD TV. DH and I were blown away! Those who have HD know how it makes you feel that you are practically in the picture. Havana was gorgeous in that old European, peeling paint, gracefully aging style and the people were to die for. And the countryside and beach shots made you want to start packing your bag. Plus the music was terrific!
Old April 18th, 2005, 07:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

Having lived in South Florida (Homestead Air Force Base, r.i.p.) during the Bay of Pigs and the Cuban Missile Crisis, I've been fascinated by Castro and Cuba for years.

As soon as it becomes legal, I'll be on the first ship!

Funny aside: About 3 years ago, my mother was in a nursing home watching t.v. and Castro was on some newscast. She said, "My God, is he still alive?" I assured her he was. Then she said, "Don't tell me Rose Kennedy is still alive."
Old April 18th, 2005, 08:03 PM
Passenger

I read in a travel magazine a while back that Cuba was a port stop for cruise ships prior to the Cuban crisis.
Old April 18th, 2005, 09:20 PM
Admiral

When Fidel goes to smoke his stogie in the sky, Cuba will be wide open for cruises.
I would bet that some cruise lines already have plans made. I would also bet you will have to book over a year in advance to get aboard ! Hope I get to go !
Old April 18th, 2005, 09:35 PM
Admiral

Cuba, being one of three communists countries left ( China and North Korea, being the other two) seems to me to be years away from creating a culture capable of hosting cruise ships.

Fidel Castro has been in power since 1959, almost 50 years. When he and his rebels took over they siezed all the land from the landowners and put it in the hands of the state.

I think it will take a while for the justice system down there to decide which families own which lots and for all the dust to settle. And this is only on the premise that the country changes to a democracy.

Regards,
Thomas
Old April 19th, 2005, 08:43 AM
David Starkey

I'll pass on Havana.....things have to change a lot before I would feel welcome.
Old April 23rd, 2005, 08:47 PM
CruzCrazy

I have to agree with Thomas, the country would have to change over to a democracy before you would see an improvement.

I live in Miami and have seen what the Latins from Cuba have done to this city. The architecture is beautiful and they will spend their money investing in a nice place to live. After speaking to many who were exiles, they said that Cuba was a beautiful island before Castro.

I firmly believe, if given the chance, the Miami Latins would take their money and invest it back into Cuba and bring it back to the way it was.

I hope I can see this happen in my lifetime.