Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 18th, 2005, 08:22 PM
AR

Default Perspective

This morning while I was listening to passengers complain about their experiences on NCL, talk about calling their lawyers, and accuse the captain of all manner of incompetence, something else was happening just five miles from my home.

A school bus collided with a garbage truck, killing a little girl, leaving both drivers in critical condition, and injuring a number of other children.

Washington's Fox affiliate (who else) called what happened on the ship "utter devastation." Yet, as I understand it, no one on the ship was hurt, the ship was never in any particular danger, there was never an emergency delcared and no one was ever called to muster stations. And I hear that the ship is off already on its next run.

Five miles south of here, a family is making funeral arrangements for their little girl, and other families are keeping watch over their loved ones at the hospital.

You may or may not read or hear a brief squib about the bus accident--it was reported briefly on at least one network newscast. You will hear much more about the big wave. Larry King will be interviewing "survivors" for weeks, whenever there's a lull in the Jackson trial.

We have lost all sense of balance, all understanding of what's important. We're hedonists of the first order, and anything that interrupts that pursuit is very big news indeed.
Sponsored Links
Old April 18th, 2005, 08:46 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: Perspective

I completely agree.

Cable news needs ratings.

I was amazed at one "Spin Free Zone" show that promoted the Dawn as "Cruise Ship Tsunami Disaster". If that isn't spin I don't know what is.

Take care,
Mike(Dismayed with the times)

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 18th, 2005, 08:55 PM
Admiral

AR, I couldn't agree more. I am truly sorry for the passengers and crew on the N.C.L. ship as I'm sure that was a very trying ordeal. However, as usual, the media is making a circus out of it and a few of the passengers are jumping through the media's hoops.

I made a simiilar post or two when all the hoopla about the Glory cruise was in full swing and got pretty well trounced for my efforts. So be it. As I said, I very much agree with your post.
Old April 18th, 2005, 09:23 PM
CruisinK&J

I agree. I feel much sympathy fpr the parents of that little girl and for those who were injured in that bus accident. The news media have lost a sense of "balance."

Jdy
Old April 18th, 2005, 09:40 PM
Admiral

Agreed.

donna

Old April 18th, 2005, 09:43 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

The horror of the school bus accident far outweighs the discomfort of the Dawn passengers, but the media won't let it go.

It is a sad commentary on our times when every single news program on CNN and FOX covers the "cruise from hell" over and over again. Even O'Reilly (political commentator?), Greta (legal commentator?), Hannity (important news guy?) - 3 programs in a row have covered this incident.

You are so right - the perspective is wrong. Thousands of little kids ride busses every day and will be afraid, and no child should ever be afraid. While I'm sure there were children on the Dawn, 4 people - a mere 4 people - were injured. Of course, we haven't yet heard from the "post cruise traumatic disorder" that will follow and will no doubt result in several lawsuits.

My sympathy to your neighbors and thanks to you for being "fair and balanced" - we could use more of that.
Old April 19th, 2005, 06:13 AM
Admiral

Some of the passengers have to realize that because of Mother Nature, (stuff) happens! If this the worst thing that ever happens in their lifetime, they've got a wonderful life ahead of them. I'm also tired of hearing about the NCL "disaster". The tsunami in Asia was a disaster...the little girl in the school bus was a disaster... But the Dawn was a news story, where the newspeople have blown everything out of proportion. The "major" flooding on the Dawn was no more than an inconvience. The spring flooding that we've had in our area, where people have lost their homes, and in other areas where some have lost their lives is a disaster. I wish the newspeople can move on to next subject.

Ed

Norwegian Majesty
Old April 19th, 2005, 06:14 AM
VTJen

I agree too

VTJen
Old April 19th, 2005, 07:05 AM
Lynne and Trevor

I saw the story and pictures of the school bus accident this morning. It looked terrible. Kudos to the bus driver who was thrown from the bus but still got up and helped the children in the bus.
We had another young girl abducted and killed this past week. I think that's a catastrophe, too.
The news coverage of the Dawn was sensationalized because it was "down time". The Terry Schiavo story is gone, as is the Pope's death (no offense intended) that allowed 24 hour coverage for a week. As earlier posted, we're not getting total coverage of Michael Jackson, and there needed to be something that would catch the viewers' attention.
There is an article in our Tampa Tribune today, on a back page, of course, talking about the Dawn incident, but then it goes on to tell about these waves and how they can be formed and in the "system" many boats are lost to these waves each week. The Dawn Captain had slowed the ship to 4 knots from it's 21 trying to avoid any major damage. The article says that the waves come so quickly that they are hard to escape, but there is a move to incorporate the expectation of them along with the hurricane reports and other navigational reports necessary for each cruise. The information in the article will never make the news, however. Lynne
Old April 19th, 2005, 11:34 AM
libbynan

I really hate to comment further on this situation as I could go on and on and on....... people have lost all sense of proportion and seem to think that they deserve a guarantee that nothing will go wrong in their lives EVER and if it does, then SOMEBODY is to blame!