Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 20th, 2005, 07:40 PM
estrella

Default suggestions for swollen ankles

Anyone have any suggestions about what to do when your ankles and feet swell because of the heat?
Sponsored Links
Old April 20th, 2005, 08:01 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via Yahoo to karessamom
Default Re: suggestions for swollen ankles

I've been battling this for a long time. Best advice that i can give is keep your feet elevated, lots of water, and cut down on caffene--there was one other thing i was thinking and i've just drawn a blank. The big things are to elevate legs when you can and drink, drink, drink (lots of water) that's what my doc. told me. My legs still swell. My dr. gave me some water pills that i take when they get really bad, but i really don't like taking them or depending on them. She also told me that exercising helps. Salt that was it--cut down on salt.

Post Edited (04-20-05 21:15)
Old April 20th, 2005, 08:08 PM
Jeanne&Ellis

My doctor also told me to cut down on your salt. Its in a lot of foods especially in those wondrful on board restaurants.
Old April 20th, 2005, 09:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

Like others said drink lots of water, limit salt, caffene and alcohol, and elevate your legs as much as possible.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old April 20th, 2005, 10:40 PM
BoosterMom

Unfortunately, my suggestion is compression hose. When I was pregnant, I had swelling ankles so bad, along with varicose veins. At that time, you could get them through Sears catalog and of course, hospital supply stores. Yes, they are hard to put on, yes they are hot, do they help........absolutely. I also received the info that other posters are giving out. I was also told that while my legs were elevated to twirl my feet around in circles. Guess it helped with circulation???
Old April 20th, 2005, 11:55 PM
Yeoman

Elevate those feet at every opportunity...BEFORE they start to swell. Avoid dangling your legs for extended periods of time. Avoid sitting or standing for extended periods of time. Although compression hose do help you must be careful in choosing them so that they fit well. If they are too tight at the tops it will exacerbate the problem. These may be too uncomfortable to wear in the heat as they are pretty heavy and they don't breathe well.

Drink lots of water! No less than 48 oz..If it is hot make it 64oz. Avoid salt and salty foods.

Lesley

Old April 21st, 2005, 01:19 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Totally agree with Lesley!!!! The support hose should be measured to fit properly. Drink lots and lots of water, elevate the legs and rest whenever possible. In fact, a trick that a friend of mine told me, put the life jacket you find in your stateroom under the foot of your mattress at night to slightly elevate the foot of the bed - it does help!

Old April 21st, 2005, 08:32 AM
estrella

Thank you all for the great advise - I, unfortunately, have a sit-down type of job all day so it really becomes a problem in the heat. I drink LOTS of water all day but this does not seem to help. I went to a doctor and asked about a circulation problem because I was concerned about this and he did not seem to think I had one but I totally disagree with him. He would not even let me go on Aspirin therapy (I'm not that young). I may try the compression stockings and see how I make out - I'll talk to the pharmacist.
Old April 21st, 2005, 08:35 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: suggestions for swollen ankles

Why not go to another doctor for a second opinion?

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old April 21st, 2005, 10:02 AM
First Mate

Location: Near Liz's favourite home, Windsor Castle, Berkshire, U.K.
Default Re: Re: suggestions for swollen ankles

Dear Estrella,

I had a smiliar problem to you and in the end got a second opinion adn it has changed everything for me.

Ever since my son was born (19 years ago) I seem to all of a sudden have a problem with swollen ankles (had never happened before).

Anyway, a couple of years ago I went ahead on medical advise (prevention better than cure) and had the veins in my legs stripped. This is a usual procedure for varicose veins which I did not suffer from and I had keyhole surgery so I found the whole thing quite easy to cope with.

However, it was felt that because of my seemingly ciruclation problems, veins could prove to be a problem in the future for me. Bearing in mind that my Uncle (my Mother's brother) has phlebatis, I thought this a good idea.

What a difference it has made! OK, when I fly now I always where the surgical stockings and still really does keep the circulation going and my ankles NEVER swell now (remember I am talking about longhaul here as we live in the UK and regularly travel to Phoenix to see friends (circa 11/12 hour flight).

Now, I never have a problem with swollen ankles even in very high termperatures (think Arizona in summertime).

The operation was a success and the only drawback about the whole thing was that I could not drive for 6 weeks and have to walk a minimum of 5 miles a day for the 6 weks following the op.

Might be worth looking into - for me it has made me a feel alot better and I hope that I will also never suffer from varicose veins either as a result.

Am entering my 50th this year and none in sight yet.

Good luck and regards,
KG
Old April 23rd, 2005, 12:30 AM
glojo

B6 vitamin suppliment , and stay off coffee, works for me.
Old April 23rd, 2005, 10:03 AM
Admiral

Estrella--what a great name for a cruise website! "Star," by which ships were guided through ages before GPS.

I had a problem with edema about a year ago--scared the dickens out of me! Over the past few years I've had increasing problems with walking, due to cumulative musculo-skeletal effects of a childhood accident, now compounded by osteo-arthritis. I started spending more and more time in a wheelchair. But one day, I left the wheelchair at home and walked a little too far at a picnic. The following day I noticed the swelling.

My doctor was far less concerned than I was. He advised me to spend a few days taking frequent "prop" breaks. Then after the swelling went down, to increase the amount of time I spend standing, and--oddly enough--to increase my water intake. So far, it has worked. I'm rarely without a container of water now, and when I'm out and about, I try to spend as much time pushing around as being pushed around in the wheelchair. I just have to be sure not to have too little anti-inflamatory in my system, or the joints seize up.

I made quite a sight on my most recent cruise, pushing the chair all the way from my forward cabin to the aft buffet for my morning coffee. More walking than I've done in 2 years. But--look ma!--no swelling. Works for me!

I may dwell on the land, but I live at sea!

Steve

Summit

Sensation 2/03 I disembarked, but never really left the ship.
Enchantment 9/03 Just had to go back.
Inspiration 3/04 Just have to go back again, and again, and again...
Sensation 04/05 The vessel made me do it!
Summit 03/06 It's Margaret's fault!
Old April 24th, 2005, 09:28 PM
estrella

These are all wonderful suggestions - I may just try them all. This is also a great cruise site for information, suggestions, ideas, and just plain discussion on the greatest vacation - cruising. Can't wait to go!!