Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 28th, 2005, 06:33 AM
Admiral

Default Prayers needed PLEASE!!!!!

Found out late yesterday that a high school friend of my son committed suicide earlier in the day. His mom found him in his room. My daughter also knew the boy. The rest of the details are still unknown to people outside of the family except that he had dropped out of college a few weeks ago. An autopsy is being planned.

This leaves me wondering, as I'm sure alot of other people, what could be so terrible in the life of a 20 year old that death is the better option?

Please pray for his family, friends and for him. Thank you. :o(

Old April 28th, 2005, 07:07 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Prayers needed PLEASE!!!!!

Yet again I have been informed of a suicide.
They are very hard to understand why?

I choose not to try and ask myself why?
But I do hope one day society in general will find out what causes these to happen and maybe reduce the incidences.

I had an "incident" 3 years ago when visiting friends in christchurch (my previous old home town) when 1 day after I left CHCH a women that I had only just met at dinner and watching spiderman 1 at the cinema topped herself. .
I asked myself "what if?" But I could not come up with an answer.

I have had 2 or 3 other similar incidences and still cannot come up with an answer.

Pass my sympathies on if you can Cheryl.

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old April 28th, 2005, 07:34 AM
Admiral

How very sad. Prayers going out.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old April 28th, 2005, 07:35 AM
First Mate

My prayers are on the way to the family and for the boy, may they get through this with their love. )))))))))))))))))))

Robin

Costa Atlantica 3/2004
Brilliance 2/2005
Brilliance 2/2006
Brilliance 2/2007
Explorer 2/2008
Old April 28th, 2005, 08:00 AM
Admiral

My heart goes out to the family of this young man.......so sad.

Old April 28th, 2005, 08:16 AM
Admiral

So sorry to hear about this, the person who is gone is at peace, while others are meant to suffer horribly.

Sometimes people think that suicide is their only way out, and for one reason or another, don't open up to others. They don't realize it's a permanent solution to a short term problem.

I've been hearing about the new form of bullying that's been going on....kids in chatrooms being threatened and harrassed by other kids in their school. One young boy commited suicide over this. The parents weren't monitoring his computer activity at all, if so, this might have been avoided.

Hopefully something will be learned from this tragedy....my sympathy and prayers to all involved...

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old April 28th, 2005, 08:51 AM
CruisinK&J

I can only answer the "Why" of this with my own experience.

Although the problem may seem trivial, to the victim, it's really not. It comes down to the relentlessness of the situation. My problems have gone on for a year now, and there is no light at the end of the tunnel. Bad things just keep happening, and I don't think I'll ever be happy again. My husband is permanently brain damaged. My mother suffers from dementia and is in a nursing home. I lost my brother. Financially, I need to win the California lottery. I have no support system. The one who should be encouraging me is my spouse, and he doesn't seem to care.

Perhaps this young man felt the same way. You know, when the problems pile up, you can become extremely sensitive. So the so-called least little thing becomes a big thing, and pretty soon, everything is monumental, like the malfunctioning oven, for example.

All this doesn't bring back the boy, I know. I can only offer sympathy to his family.

Judy
Old April 28th, 2005, 08:58 AM
Admiral

Judy--you are in my prayers that you will soon see light at the end of your tunnel. My prayers will also be for your happiness. Please remember that there are peole that you can talk or vent too. Some are right here on this board. Feel free to e-mail me if you need to "talk", vent or just to say HI. I may not always have the right answers but I am sure good at listening. :o) (((((((( ))))))))

Old April 28th, 2005, 09:22 AM
Admiral

How sad to hear of this news. I think as Liam said there are no easy answers or no answers at all as to why someone would chose a permanent solution to temporary problems. The pain must out weigh the reasoning portion of the brain somehow. My heart and prayers go out to this man's family who is left with the guilt and the sorrow.

Judy, I'm keeping you in my prayers too. If you have a first line for help call center out your way, please call them. It will be worth it to you to be linked up with people who can be physically present to help you through all of this. I'm so glad that you share with us, because that is an important step too. My favorite song as a Christian is "Turn your eyes upon Jesus. Look full in His wonderful face, and the things of earth will grow strangely dim in the light of His glory and grace." Whenever I am faced with difficult things, I just start singing that to myself and change my focus, and peace settles in.

Phyll

Old April 28th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Definately will pray for peace in the hearts of this young man's family. Tragic!

10 years ago my son's best friend (then 13 yrs old) killed himself. No one, even my son who was very close to him, understand why, as he hadn't talked about any problems, nor had he acted unhappy.

A week after the funeral we were taking our boys on a cruise, and my son took his friend's picture to keep with him next to his bed, saying he wanted his lost friend to enjoy the cruise too.

It brought us all to tears as we talked about it, and tried to understand how someone so young could think his problems so severe that death was the answer.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old April 28th, 2005, 10:17 AM
Captain

My prayers go out to this boy's family and also to you Judy. We have laid our dear friend to rest yesterday. Accident.
My Brother and my niece both committed suicide. It is so hard to understand the pain they must have been in to do such a thing.
I wonder if the person that considers taking their own life at all stops to think of the added pain they place on the love ones they are leaving behind. Not only do they have to deal with this loss, but they are also burdened with the "if only" and "what could I have done".
Judy to the person who does not understand the peace and love that comes from a personal relationship with our Lord, this may sound condesending. But there is strength there for you and if you will reach out to your Christian community you will find an abundance of support and power.
My prayers and thoughts are with you.
Susan

ROMANS 8:28

VIKING SERENADE 1993
HOLIDAY 1995
HOLIDAY 1997
HOLIDAY 1998
ECTASY 1999
ELATION 2000
STAR PRINCESS 2002
SPIRIT 2003
NCL STAR 2004
PRIDE 2005
PRIDE 2006
PARADISE 2007
MS OOSTERDAM 2008
SPLENDOR 5/2010

Carnival Splendor
Old April 28th, 2005, 10:27 AM
Admiral

Prayers on the way. How desperate must one become, to think the only way out is death? There are so many alternatives, and too many people pleading to help, too think that death is the only way to resolve things. Just ask!!!!

and laughing is contagious,
here’s hoping for an epidemic!
Old April 28th, 2005, 10:58 AM
Admiral

Sometimes when young people commit suicide they are "getting back at " somebody. Not fully comprehending it's permanent, infinitesimal. Some schoolmates of mine, many years ago, committed suicide because their relationship broke up, or their professor flunked them, or their parents beat them.

It's sad.

Regards,
Thomas
Old April 28th, 2005, 11:39 AM
CruisinK&J

I just wanted to say thank you to all those who offer advice and solace. I do see a therapist once a week where I can vent, as you call it. But even she cannot stop all this stuff that's happening and recurring.

Even my perscription glasses desintegrated yesterday. I was at the gym but not on a machine . . . just standing there watching Keith . . . and they fell apart! I wasn't even wearing 'em!

People have commented about how the person who commits suicide doesn't think about the permanency of it. Another poster commented about rational thinking. A person contemplating suicide just wants all the pain and frustration to stop any way they can do it when they are unable to resolve the problems.

As for rational thought, it disappears when panic sets in. Also, that 20-yr. old, I don't know if someone at that age can think rationally when they are under such tremendous stress.

Judy
Old April 28th, 2005, 03:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

How sad for someone to think life is so hopeless there is no way out. My prayers and thoughts go out to this young mans family.

Laura

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old April 28th, 2005, 10:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

My sympathy and prayers to the young man's family and friends. Your son and daughter, who knew him, are also working through some questions right now.

Having had 2 family members commit suicide, I can speak from experience that it is the most devastating of all deaths.....for the survivors. The wondering, the guilt, the pain take a long time to go away.

Please know the young man is at peace now, whatever his demons were.
Old April 29th, 2005, 03:27 PM
Admiral

-

Post Edited (04-29-05 15:28)