Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 29th, 2005, 07:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Could be a good ship read..

I just got my book club catalog, and there is a book, that looks right up our collective alleys It's called Murder on the Salsette, by Conrad Allen. I wonder if the waiter on this ship, forgot to give someone their coffee If you would like more mysteries set on cruise ships, give me a yell....I love when i can combine two of my favorite things

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old April 29th, 2005, 08:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1
Default Re: Could be a good ship read..

I will need at least three books to read on my cruise in Sept. What do you recommend?

Jodi

Old April 30th, 2005, 01:59 PM
Admiral

Jodi, I'm sure you'd enjoy Carl Hiassen's latest entitled Skinny Dip. It begins with a scheming marine biologist tossing his wife off a cruise ship in the dark of night. She survives by latching onto a floating bale of marijuana, and is rescued by the story's protagonist Mick Stranahan (whom we first met 15 years ago in another Carl's novels called Skin Tight). The story is very entertaining, as are all of Hiassen's books which follow the hilarious theme of hijinks in South Florida. Try it! In fact, you might want to try both of the two I've mentioned above.

Jack

Post Edited (04-30-05 13:03)
Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old May 1st, 2005, 09:37 AM
Admiral

As KJ said, Hiassen is a good bet, a creative mixture of comedy and mystery. But beware! People will wonder what you're laughing at. If you plan to read to Skinny Dip, I recommend reading Skin Tight first. Another good one to start with is Sick Puppy.

I bet, as we sit here talking about books, Hiassen is comfy in Miami, jotting notes for a parody of the runaway bride in Georgia. He'll change the setting, kill a couple of characters, throw in an environmental issue or two, and readers will have a treat!

I may dwell on the land, but I live at sea!

Steve

Summit

Sensation 2/03 I disembarked, but never really left the ship.
Enchantment 9/03 Just had to go back.
Inspiration 3/04 Just have to go back again, and again, and again...
Sensation 04/05 The vessel made me do it!
Summit 03/06 It's Margaret's fault!
Old May 1st, 2005, 02:15 PM
Admiral

Jodi..I collect mysteries set in Florida, so I think another funny quirky author Lauyrence Shames might be great for CRUISE...Stuwart Woods also has two great series to offer, his Stone Barrington character has a brand new one out now, TwoDollar Bill..and his Holly Barker series[ Orchid Beach ]is one .BOTH series are great reads. Ans i agree with Sea...Skin Tight ,should be the first to read from Carl.....I have lotss more to suggest, if this doesn't float your boat

Old May 1st, 2005, 03:11 PM
libbynan

Trip, because my mind is slowly going it has taken me since yesterday to remember the name........ Mary Higgins Clark has a daughter (I think her name is Carol) who also writes mysteries and her first book was, I believe, set on a cruise ship. Don't remember the name of it though. I agree with you about the Orchid Beach series..... I am past ready for another one. I'm assuming you've read the John McDonald Travis McGee series if you're into Florida settings. These are oldies, but goodies. Edna Buchanan, who's a terrific Florida journalist, also writes mysteries set there. Can you tell I used to work in a bookstore? Kinda like an alcoholic tending bar........
Old May 1st, 2005, 03:27 PM
Admiral

Nancy, I could work in one too.. or be a librarian Years ago, when Edna wrote her first book, The Corpse had a Familiar Face, she appeared on the Oprah show, I had read the book, and wrote her a letter..she wrote me back, which I thought was great. I have also been in touch via email with Stuart Woods.He asked me if I was the tv star Linda Purl When I am visiting in Florida in a few wks, Elaine Viets, another light fun Florida mystery author will be signing her newest, and I hope to get to meet her..Nancy J Cohen also writes a lighthearted mystery series set in So Fla.. Jane Heller had a great ship mystery,called Princess Charming...Somebody stop me, I could go on and on......