Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 30th, 2005, 08:21 AM
salem5050

Default Run away bride...what do you think?

So much to say about this story of the missing bride found today. But the thing that really strikes me is how could she do this to her family? Did you see her mom on tv crying her heart out!!! I do not care she did not get married, but to turn up missing and do this to her family is beyond any excuse I can think of.

I was a wreck the week before I married, but I could not imagine puting my family thru this missing person torture this woman did.!

Mary Margaret
Sponsored Links
Old April 30th, 2005, 08:39 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Run away bride...what do you think?

I just told the Lovely Mrs. Jones yesterday, that if she did "run off" it was because of the pressure of the BIG wedding,,,,not actually getting married, and it appears that's exactly what it was. I too can't imagine putting all those people through the agony of thinking she was gone,,,,and especially her mother, and fiance'. WHAT WAS SHE THINKING?
Anyway,,,,thank God she was found safe.
Happy sailing,
Ken
Old April 30th, 2005, 08:45 AM
Admiral

I think that the police/FBI need to give her plenty of time to "Think" like she said she needed, somewhere in a prison.

Plus, she should be made to re-imburse all the FBI/police etc for their time searching for her.

And as for her fiance, I'd be getting that ring back and telling her hasta-la-vista!
Old April 30th, 2005, 09:33 AM
SarahJ

Why should she have to pay? She didn't ask for the large search. She simply got on a bus and didn't tell anyone where she was going. That is not a crime.

I think it is sad and that she needs help but she didn't break any law.
Old April 30th, 2005, 09:42 AM
Jeanne&Ellis

she definitely needs help, but she did call her fiance to say she had been abducted. so she did get this whole thing going and what about the 600+ people that were invited to a wedding today. Think of all the plans everyone had to make or change and the cost of it all. This is something she can never undo. Wouldn't want to be in her shoes now.
Old April 30th, 2005, 10:24 AM
AR

If I were contemplating a wedding that was to feature fourteen (count 'em) bridesmaids and God knows what other grotesque forms of excess that are routinely visited upon the nuptuals of southern belles, I'd probably run like hell too.

We'll probably never know the real backstory, but I have a vision of an overbearing Mother of the Bride, a litany of lunacy that can only attend the weddings of the very rich (remember, a $100,000 reward was posted by the family), and the prospect of a pageant that would put the coronation of the Pope to shame.

Far from worrying about what she did to her poor family, I think it's possible that the problem is what her poor family was about to do to her.

Meanwhile, I hear you can pick up $30,000 worth of fresh flowers in Georgia today for ten cents on the dollar.

This too shall pass.
Old April 30th, 2005, 10:26 AM
DENISE H

what a waste of time for the police,FBI and volunter who could have been helping
someone you really need there help this person better grow upand stop thinking only
about herself
Old April 30th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Passenger

DIVORCE COURTS ARE FILLED WITH PEOPLE WHO SHOULD HAVE RUN OFF IN THE FIRST PLACE.
Old April 30th, 2005, 12:17 PM
Admiral

It was still really dumb of her to run off and tell people she was kidnapped, though. She even cut her hair so no one would recognize her.

If a big wedding gets too much for you, there comes a time when you should just say "STOP!" and elope. Simple as that.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

(Edited for a spelling mistake.)

Post Edited (04-30-05 11:19)

Old April 30th, 2005, 12:26 PM
CO

She did break a crime by saying she was abducted when she wasnt. She needs to reimburse all parties involved.
Old April 30th, 2005, 12:52 PM
SarahJ

I agree she did lie about being abducted. But the rest is perfectly legal.
Old April 30th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Admiral

What a waste of time and money - and man hours looking for her-----not to mention the cost of the wedding------
She should be charged- and made to pay back all the money spent looking for her and then some.
She will have to live the rest of her life knowing what she put her family and friend through-------
Just wondering why she didnt take the easy way out and just call off the wedding-- she could have call from a near by phone booth---
April
Old April 30th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Admiral

She should have at least called to say she changed her mind and she is safe.

Regards,
Thomas
Old April 30th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Reen

Who really cares?
Old April 30th, 2005, 05:07 PM
First Mate

I find it very interesting that there are such strong opinions here from people that are not in this woman's shoes. After having gone through a Southern Wedding having to deal with parents on both sides insisting that the plans be made the way that they want them to be with no concern about what the bride and groom want, I can certainly understand being completely overwhelmed. She did nothing wrong when she took off. I am sure she had no idea her actions would cause the chaos that then ensued, much less all of the national coverage. Who would have ever been able to predict that? Considering that this person was already stressed to the max and so much so she ran away without telling anyone (maybe she did that because she didn't need any added pressure from anyone that would more than likely would have tried to talk her out of stopping the wedding reminding her off all of the money that had been spent and so on). I doubt while she was traveling around on the bus she had not heard any news reports. Then if you take time to consider that this woman was already under so much stress she was at the breaking point or pretty darn close to it, can you possibly imagine what finally hearing the news reports about her could have done to her. I for one don't feel that any of us have any right to judge her or her actions.

Old April 30th, 2005, 05:45 PM
Admiral

I firmly believe that marriages are made in heaven, but weddings are an artifice from hell! I am guided by that bias. So, before responding, I wanted to be sure that my information was current. I have read the available articles, and I've heard the 911 tape from Albuquerque since reading the lead post. Without doubt, she said she had been kidnapped by Hispanics--they should be outraged!

From the beginning, I thought this was a case of runawaybride. I feel vindicated in that cyncicsm. But at the same time, I'm laughing my kiester off! Carl Hiassen could not have come up with more outrageous fiction.

Given that she bought the bus ticket a week before she went jogging, she had plenty of time and opportunity to break the engagement. A few words, a few tears, return the ring, and apply some scotch and soda to the wounds. Instead, she went for maximum drama, and panicked two communities. What a narcissistic b1+!

To relate the situation to cruising: If you, as a crewman, officer, or passenger, send a false Mayday, or tigger an EPB device on a life jacket, and USCG commits resources to find you, in adition to paying a hefty fine, you also get billed for the resources used in the search--up to and including the fuel for water and aircraft. Likewise, she should be charged in all involved communities for inducing a panic, in addition to apying for the wasted search resources. In addition, she should be sued by her fiance for breach of promise and public humiliation. You can bet, if the situation were reversed, she'd sue him.

Neither will I be surprised if another boyfriend comes forward as co-conspirator in the hoax.

I may dwell on the land, but I live at sea!

Steve

Summit

Sensation 2/03 I disembarked, but never really left the ship.
Enchantment 9/03 Just had to go back.
Inspiration 3/04 Just have to go back again, and again, and again...
Sensation 04/05 The vessel made me do it!
Summit 03/06 It's Margaret's fault!
Old April 30th, 2005, 06:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I think she should have destressed by posting her problems in Chit Chat, and then run off with the guys who found the unburied stolen treasure, buried it, and discovered it.

Then the three could have joined in as crew on Paris Hilton's TV show.

It's a great day when I am proven to be normal, and the rest of the world is Kuki.

Old April 30th, 2005, 07:32 PM
salem5050

There is NO EXCUSE FOR WHAT SHE DID TO HER FAMILY!

Our daughter just got married last Saturday, yes there is stress, we have just been thru it. But if my daughter disappeared for any reason I would lose my mind!

No excuses from me for the hell she put her family thru!

As far as the groom to be.....run as fast as you can!

Mary Margaret
Old April 30th, 2005, 08:19 PM
Cruisin K and J

If I were that woman's fiance, I would rethink marrying her. At age 32, she shouldn't have behaved the way she did. Not only did she lie, but she put everyone thru grief.
She'll just do it again. Who wants to marry that?

Judy
Old May 1st, 2005, 12:06 AM
AR

The New York Times says that the wedding was to have been the "social event of the year," with some 600 invited to the show. The bride is (was) a medical assistant.

If she were to be billed for the out-of -pocket expenses of the constabulary's wild bride chase, where do you think the money would come from? Her piggy bank? Her big salary as a medical assistant? Hardly.

It would come from mom and dad, the very people who all of our outraged posters feel so sorry for. Or it might come from the trust fund, but with any luck she doesn't have access to that yet.
Old May 1st, 2005, 01:51 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Does anyone remember Audrey Seiler from Wisconsin last year? She was an underclassmen at the University of Wisconsin last year who disappeared from her dorm room and sparked a 4 day search of the Madison area. She claimed to have been abducted. Turns out she "disappeared" because she couldn't handle the stress of school and her love life. She eventually was charged and was made to pay for at least part of the expenses involved in the search for her,

Jennifer whatever her name is is a coward. If she had cold feet, she should have told SOMEONE.................not make her fiancee a murder suspect or put her friends and family through hell. Charge her and throw the book at her. If her family was willing to put up at $100,000 reward for her return, they should give that money to local law enforcement for the costs involved for searching for this self-centered witch! She planned this at least a week before she did it.......this was not a case of last minute actions, this was pre-meditated. I hope her fiancee dumps her (I would not be as forgiving as he has purportedly has been) and she faces what she has done to others as a result of her self-centered, narcissitic actions.

Post Edited (05-01-05 18:23)
Old May 1st, 2005, 02:00 AM
Admiral

In this case, the "Honeymoon Cruise" most definitely needed to be BEFORE the wedding.
Old May 1st, 2005, 02:01 AM
Admiral

This has been on the news over here as well.

Jennifer need's a good telling off and FINE or a good Hug and a BIGGER FINE!

Post Edited (05-01-05 01:03)

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old May 1st, 2005, 06:18 AM
Admiral

Four American soldiers got killed + four others injured in Iraq on the day this young lady comes out of hidding. What got all the news media attention?

It seems to me that there were more important news than what this young lady did or not do.

Bill
Old May 1st, 2005, 08:57 AM
Admiral

I think this woman obviously has some mental issues that need to be dealt with. But again , can you imagine the stress of a wedding that has 600 guests and 14 bridesmaids? It would be rather difficult, I'm sure, to tell anyone that "you just don't feel like it now".

I'm not condoning her behavior, it was a terrible, awful, tortureous thing she did to her friends & family, but obviously there must have been some pressure there to go through with it...

I cannot imagine what the people who really care about her went through for those four days....

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old May 1st, 2005, 01:29 PM
Admiral

Well, at first I was ticked off and upset that all that manpower was used to try and find her when it was unnecessary, then I thought, it wasn't her that did it all but her family panicing. Now I understand the family of course and not saying I would not do the same if my daughter/fiance/sister whatever did the same thing. I can also understand her taking off just before the wedding. Heck, it's been done many times in the past and I am sure will be in the future. No criminal charges should be brought on her unless she planned it to make it look like a kidnapping, which I don't thing she did, could be wrong on that. I do think that she should have to do some community work with missing children to show her the results of her irresponsible actions though. There is a time and place for punishment but this situation blew up very quickly and I am sure confused her even more IF she even knew all that was going on with her dissappearance. As for the hubby to be, he needs to find someone with a better grasp on reality and more grown up.
Jim

Old May 1st, 2005, 03:16 PM
Admiral

Sorry Jim, but I seriously disagree with your suggestion that this woman do community service with missing children.....she is obviously in dire need of some serious counseling sessions. Did you see how distraught her mother was?? And with all that 's been going on lately with women disappearing and ending up murdered, dismembered and worse, how could someone POSSIBLY just take off with no concern for friends or family members?

She certainly shouldn't get married at this point in her life, she needs to figure out how to handle her life...

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old May 1st, 2005, 05:39 PM
Admiral

If I understand it correctly the lady is 32 years old. That's hardly a child. She should be capable of making decisions for herself. To put her family and close friends through what she did is wrong. She surely knew that.

From what I have been able to gather I would hazard a guess that she has been
" smothered " buy mommie and daddie most of her life and didn't want to go through with the wedding but couldn't face up to them and just left instead of facing an unpleasant situation. Hopefully both parents and daughter can learn something.
Old May 1st, 2005, 08:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

Whenever I get cold feet about anything, I just take a cruise! Now, THAT we'd understand!
Old May 1st, 2005, 11:03 PM
Admiral

Why do you disagree Jean? She needs to see just how badly missing family members affects families? In addition she needfs to see how she by her actions caused not only her family distress, but took away resources that could have been spend on others who are truely missing or kidnapped. She needs to see how this affected everyone and not pat her on the head and say 'poor dear, Mommy was really worried'. It really doesn't seem that we are really all that much in disagreement actually. Yes she needs some consuling but she needs to pay for what she has done to others and what better way than working with real cases and making her useful?
Jim