Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 3rd, 2005, 09:43 AM
Passenger

Default A Question for all School Teachers out there.

My wife is becoming certified to be a K-4 teacher through the State of Texas. Right now we both work the same job with the typical 2-3 weeks of vacation per year that we can take at our leisure. So we have been going on cruises for our vacations at different times of the year whenever the price is right. When she starts teaching this next school year she won't be able to vacation until the summer. As we all know the summer time is when vacations in general are the most expensive, especially cruises. My question is....does anyone that is a teacher take off time during the year to go on vacation? Is this allowed? How does this work. I know it can vary from district to district or state to state but I was wondering does anyone that is a teacher go on vacation during the school year? My wife and I are just worried that we won't have the freedom to go whenever we please anymore like we used to....We don't have any kids yet so we are used to that kind of lifestyle. My wife really wants to be a teacher and I really look up to anyone who can teach children so I am definately supporting her decision in this career change. Anyone have any advice or suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Rhapsody of the Seas 9/2003
Rhapsody of the Seas 9/2004
Sponsored Links
Old May 3rd, 2005, 10:07 AM
Admiral

Default Re: A Question for all School Teachers out there.

Typically, your wife should have 5 personal days as well as all the school breaks like Spring Break, Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc. I traveled quite a bit during the school year because of all the breaks. Also, if she works at a "year round" school, she will have breaks either every 6 weeks or 9 weeks. If it is a 6 week school, she will get a 2 week break every 6 weeks. If it is a 9 week school, she will have a 3 week break every nine weeks.

Spring Break (including Saturdays and Sundays) is 9 days.
Thanksgiving - 9 days
Christmas - 14 days
She will have inservice days and Staff Development days but she will still have many breaks in which to take vacations.

Year round schools (here in Texas) are usually only the K-4 grades, so maybe she can find a school that does that.

Post Edited (05-03-05 10:08)
Old May 3rd, 2005, 10:50 AM
libbynan

In AR teachers get sick days and personal days...... so many per year and they can accumulate them (carry them over) from year to year. If your wife saves her personal days, usually 3 per year, for a couple of years she will have enough for a one-week cruise. However, sick days are "supposed" to be used for illness, hers or someone else's. To use accumulated sick days for a cruise, you would have to keep it a strict secret from everyone, both before and after or she could lose her job. My daughter has used her sick days for personal time off, but only in town. When she and I went on a land tour after Labor Day last year, she used personal days; as it's just too hard to keep things like that secret.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 10:56 AM
Cruise Maniac

You are correct in the fact that the policy will vary from district to district. For example in my district (in TX) we have an extra week off in Jan., for our local stockshow. That is the perfect time to cruise. I have already booked that week for 06. There may be some days that her district has off that others do not. The big problem comes when the district policy is that you cannot take off before or after a school break. We have several teachers in our district and on our campus that take a week at a time. They have built up the time and have it approved by the powers that be. I hope this helps.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 11:40 AM
Admiral

Our district also has the sick days but as lubbynan said "sick days are "supposed" to be used for illness, hers or someone else's. To use accumulated sick days for a cruise, you would have to keep it a strict secret from everyone, both before and after or she could lose her job"

Unlike astros fan, our district DOES NOT have that week for the livestock show. So you see how it can vary.

Sick days between 3-5 days.....extra weeks off for different events, etc. Our district DOES have the policy that you cannot take off before or after a school break but the breaks are good enough that you can still pull off a 7 day cruise easily.

Old May 3rd, 2005, 06:56 PM
Admiral

We have three personal leave days that may be used around holidays, etc. I almost always use two of mine to change Thanksgiving into a week off. We usually travel Thanksgiving week. My school district normally has Wed., Thurs., and Friday off on that week anyway. This Thanksgiving we will be on the Oosterdam and got quite a good rate because we booked fairly early.

Also there are specials that come up in the summer if you glean the adds, e-mails, etc. For instance we just booked a one week barefoot cruise to Panama and Costa Rica for $559 per person and this included an upgrade to the best available cabin.

So there are deals out there but you just have to keep looking. Happy cruising!
Old May 3rd, 2005, 07:12 PM
Admiral

I'm not a grade school teacher, but an educator in a daycare that follows pretty much the same school calendar as the elementary school across the street. We have 1 week off at Christmas, and various other long weekend holidays, but are supposed to take our vacation in the summer. However, occasionally, some of us do take a week in the middle of the year (like I just did!) and it's OK, as long as it's not in Sept. (when we have to "break in" all the newbies). So, between statutory holidays, and ped days and long weekends, your wife should still be able to cruise. Have fun!

donna

Old May 3rd, 2005, 08:55 PM
Admiral

My wife and I both taught school at the same time our kids were growing up. We spent the summers driving all over the country in a Volkswagon Camper Microbus. Our children didn't always enjoy it, but the did get get to see our country east to west and north to south.

Now , they are glad for the wonderful opportunity, and both of them love to travel.. Incidentally, the bus was bright yellow, and they used to sing "We all live in a yellow submarine!"
Old May 3rd, 2005, 09:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

I concur with Carole.

In my district you get all the school holidays, and ten (5 each) personal business and sick days. Most of the time you can work something out with your principal. I am not sure I would start the first year off that way, but on NCL during Thanksgiving break the prices to cruise out of Houston are not bad. I was looking at going over that holiday (we have three days off in my district plus we get Monday and Tuesday off if we earned credit for staff development).

11/10/05
Explorer of the Seas 9/19/2004
Rhapsody 9/2003
Old May 4th, 2005, 07:01 AM
Admiral

reipan40 - I didn't mention the 5 sick days, but we seem to be the same in our district as you are in your Houston District but our Thanksgiving holiday is a week long.

Just talk to your principal, especially if you have a trip already planned and paid for. I am sure everything will be fine.

Post Edited (05-04-05 10:08)
Old May 4th, 2005, 07:23 PM
Jean S

I'm a school administrator and our teachers get two personal days and 15 sick days. It is frowned upon to lengthen a school vacation. If a lot of staff do this we can't get enough substitutes to fill classrooms. In the district where I taught for years the superintendent demanded medical proof if a teacher took a sick day before or after a long weekend or school vacation.