Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 4th, 2005, 01:39 PM
Admiral

Default Have you declined a promotion?

I have turned down essentially the same promotion 3 times in my career. It was a job that would have eventually landed me in Detroit for rest of my working life and the climate in Detroit wasn't conducive to my lifestyle.

Have you ever turned down a promotion? And why?

Regards,
Thomas
Sponsored Links
Old May 4th, 2005, 01:59 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: Have you declined a promotion?

Thomas,
Yes, I have and for various reasons.

One time because the position would have put me into a no win situation in a division that was going under and no matter what I did it would still go under. I was assured that there would be a place in the organization in the event the division went under but that was something I wouldn't stake my career on. I left the company nine months later. I didn't like the writing on the wall on that one.

Another that would have involved a transfer to mid-town Manhattan in the late eighties. I did not want to live in that environment at that time in my life.

The last was a job change that I kick myself in the rear for not taking. I would have managed a disaster recovery center for an IT, disaster recovery, company in New Jersey. The base salary was not excessive but my bonus package was based on percent of revenue. That was six months before the first World Trade Center bombing. After that disaster, their revenues increased over 400%. I'm still friends with the former owner of the company (he sold the company four years ago, for a high eight figures) and he still gives me grief over not taking the position. I wish he'd just give me some of the eight figures. <VBG>

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 4th, 2005, 04:20 PM
Yeoman

Oh Mike . . don't you hate when that happens? It's like forgetting to buy the lottery ticket then . . . . you know.

I passed up a job as a diesel mechanic making some pretty decent money. I'm a mom of 4. What in the world would I want to do that for? I didn't mind doing it to help a friend as I've been a motor head since I was little but I didn't want it as a life. Now I have a full time desk job and I also paint houses. I just can't get away from work!

Holiday May 2000
Old May 4th, 2005, 05:20 PM
Admiral

I too turned down a promotion not once, but several times for the same reason as you. It would have landed me in Minneapolis/St. Paul. I moved SOUTH from Indiana many, many years ago, and was not about to move back up there. Too far from the ports!!
You won't regret the decision.
Best regards,
Ken
Old May 4th, 2005, 09:55 PM
Passenger

Yes, Thomas, I have twice. Neither position was worth the added stress for the few extra $$. And the people that did take the jobs hate it. They were only thinking about the raise in pay. Now that we're downsizing, they're stuck and they are not happy campers!
Old May 4th, 2005, 10:14 PM
Admiral

A guy named William once offered me the position of COO at an IT start-up called Soft Micro, or something like that. Was too nerdy sounding an outfit, woulda cramped my image a tad at the time.
Old May 4th, 2005, 10:25 PM
Admiral

I worked for the same company 25 years and in that time I did turn down so called
promotions. First of all, a promotion almost always meant transferring to another state.
I had two sons that I was not willing to take away from their schoolmates and friends.
Also, my wife has had a very good career of her own and we had both agreed it would not be a smart move for one of us to transfer, thus requiring the other to give up a good position and start over somewhere anew. Too, I had a lot of freedom in my job and to transfer and take a promotion would eliminate that freedom. That was worth a lot to me.
In short, it just wasn't worth it to us.
Old May 5th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Over the past 30 years I've offered myself several promotions, but turned them down because I didn't care for the boss.... me!

Old May 5th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Admiral

Working for the feds for most of my adult life, I never turned down a promotion of any kind. A few of them meant a change of venue, but that was usually OK with me. However, I did take a voluntary downgrade once.

In 1974, I was the director of Customs inspection at JFK Airport when an old friend offered me the post of airport director at MIA. I was a GS-15 in N.Y., and Miami was a GS-14. I took it in a heartbeat! I liked New York, but I loved Florida. I've been down here ever since, except for several sojourns overseas, and have never regretted my decision.

Jack

Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old May 5th, 2005, 04:43 PM
Admiral

My dh offered to promote me from "Queen" to "Goddess" but I turned it down. I was worried that all the trappings of monarchy would go away and I'd be left with the woo-woo of goddess as no small comfort.

Detroit? Don't blame you Thomas.

dorothy

CarnivalSensation February 2015
Carnival Dream November 2015

Carnival Fascination April 2014
Carnival Elation March 2011
Carnival Imagination Sept 2007
Carnival Sensation Dec 2006
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 2006
Carnival Miracle Sept 2005
Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2004
Old May 8th, 2005, 10:21 AM
Admiral

Similar reasons to Thomas. Turned down promotions to CFO positions in "dead end" communities where I would not have liked to bring my family despite the promotional opportunity.
Old May 11th, 2005, 07:11 PM
Admiral

I agree.

Regards,
Thomas