Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 8th, 2005, 10:04 AM
Admiral

Default No cruise ships for Fidel

Fidel Castro now says that cruise ships aren't the sort of tourism Cuba wants. "Floating restaurants, floating theaters, floating diversions visit countries to leave their trash, their empty cans and papers for a few miserable cents", Castro said. "We have told [fellow Caribbean states] that Cuba will not accept cruise ships."

Oh well, Cuba has been receiving less than 100,000 cruise passengers per year from ships based mostly in nearby Caribbean nations. Maybe they've been catering to a lower class of passengers than we encounter on the ships sailing from U.S. ports. <BG>

Jack

Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Sponsored Links
Old May 8th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Admiral

Default Re: No cruise ships for Fidel

Another real shame for the people from Cuba. Hopefully wshen he kicks the bucket someone with a better vision for the Cuban people will take over, (not his brother!), and maybe even ope up Cuba enough so that our Government will allow free tavel there. That would be the best thing for everyone concerned and help to get Cuba back to being captialist and maybe even I can visit there on day.
Jim

Old May 8th, 2005, 11:15 AM
Admiral

What could be greater than a Cruisemates Cruise to Cuba?
Old May 8th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I would be the first to book....When the tyrant dies....things will change, VERY fast...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 8th, 2005, 04:43 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I sure hope you all all correct and that things will change for the people in Cuba when they finally get a new leader...They just have no idea, another bad decision for their economy... I hope to visit there once in my lifetime, way back when, it used to be a great vacation spot for Americans.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 8th, 2005, 08:03 PM
Admiral

I spent some time at GitMo while a Marine, and it really is a shame that the island isn't open for tourism. It is absolutely beautiful, and the people are great. As the others have stated, when Castro gets to room temperature, maybe someone with a positive vision for the island and its wonderful people will take over. We can only hope so...
Happy sailing,
Ken
Old May 9th, 2005, 09:33 AM
Kimmie Girl

Default Re: Re: No cruise ships for Fidel

Cuba is a very big 'hotspot' for British tourists at the moment and is certainly in the top 10 for British visitors to holiday in. They do great 'all inclusive' deals and I know many of my friends who have been and rave about it.

Was thinking about it ourselves and trying to add a cruise on the end of it but obviously we would need to fly out of Cuba, no doubt to Puerto Rico to board ship making it a hassle.

Shame for your U.S. citizens - he's just being a tosspot because they certainly enjoy the economic benefits of the tourism rush from Europe.

Regards,
KG
Old May 9th, 2005, 10:42 AM
venice

most people assume that when Fidel goes things will get better..I'm not so sure about that..what's that old saying 'it's better to deal with the devil you know as oppose to one you don't know"
Old May 9th, 2005, 11:27 AM
Parrot Mom

Interesting in the fact that Cubans are working at the cruise port of Casa De Campo....I'd be the first to sign up too