Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 9th, 2005, 10:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default What if someone doesnt come back on board?

If you get off the ship to go and explore a port what happens if a party doesnt get back on when it is time to leave? Do they explore the option of foul play or runaways? I have this fear of getting back on board earlier then I need to just to make sure I dont get left behind. Just curious if anyone knows anything.

MARINER OF THE SEAS-JULY 2006
MONARCH OF THE SEAS-DECEMBER 2005
MARINER OF THE SEAS-JULY 2005
MONARCH OF THE SEAS-AUGUST 2004
Sponsored Links
Old May 9th, 2005, 11:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: What if someone doesnt come back on board?

The ship leaves! Those who missed the ship are responsible for the cost of getting them to the next port of call for the ship, if that's possible. If not they have to suffer buying a ticket to get home.

And.. yes, it's happened to people.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old May 10th, 2005, 12:09 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Err on the side of getting back a little earlier than you want to. People get left behind alot! The only time a ship will wait is if one of the ship's sponsored shore excursions is running late - that is the ONLY time!

Old May 10th, 2005, 12:48 AM
Merv Griffin

They hold your liquor till the last night.
Old May 10th, 2005, 03:41 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I was on the Spirit when it happened. A passenger got drinking and would not leave. His lady friend boarded. The ship was very late pulling out of port that day. He got left behind. I never did hear if he made it to the next port.

Laura

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old May 10th, 2005, 06:44 AM
Admiral

The Enchantment left Ocho Rios with two passengers still returning to the ship. They had to get locals to take them out to the ship. The comedian had a blast as they were rather large ladies and he had a rather colorful description of their boarding. The captain gave a good natured lecture on the importance of being on time during his announcement that evening. The next day no one was late or even close coming back from Grand Cayman. The captain noted that night that it was the first time he had ever gotten out of Grand Cayman exactly on schedule.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old May 10th, 2005, 06:54 AM
Admiral

It's almost happened to me! We were in St. Maarten (I think) and the time had changed to an hour earlier local time and we didn't get that fact. They said the last water taxi back to the ship was at 5:00 and we were at the pier a few minutes before 5:00. Yikes! It was 6:00 local time and we had to bribe the water taxi guys to take us to the ship, which they did, and we made it up the gang plank as they were pulling it in.

Regards,
Thomas
Old May 10th, 2005, 08:06 AM
Admiral

Ever notice right before sailaway when they call "would Mr. John Doe and Mrs. Jane Doe of cabin M-294 please contact the purser's information desk immediately"? That's because they don't have any record of them getting back on the ship! They kept calling some people in Key West but we were docked at the naval base and I didn't see anyone else board before we left... so I assume they were just stuck in port!

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old May 10th, 2005, 09:45 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Jewels:

As everyone has said, you will be left and it's your problem. However, the ship will notify their local agent and authorities of all persons who did not come back to the ship. If you have family or anyone else in your party they will also be notified. The ship will not send anyone to look for you.

The vast majority of all people who miss the ship are people who don't pay attention to time or go off on their own and end up too far from the ship to make it back on their own. I usually do my own thing on shore but I know that when you do your own thing on shore: You are on your own.

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 10th, 2005, 09:52 AM
AR

Most instances of failing to reboard at a port of call are directly related to alcohol consumption ashore.

On the older ships, pilots had to board and disembark via a rope ladder that led to a hatch several decks above the waterline--and so did passengers who missed the ship. You haven't lived until you've seen a pilot boat or other private launch pull alongside with two or three sweet young things who've had a few too many, then watch them climb up the rope ladder. I saw this a couple times way back when, and I'm amazed they weren't all killed.

Let's face it, nobody except a pilot or crewman would do it sober.

On newer ships they almost always open a hatch right near the waterline. It's still a matter of "timing your leap," but at least there's no rope ladder!

I've never heard of a passenger kidnapping, even in Jamaica.
Old May 10th, 2005, 10:39 AM
CruzinK&J

We were on an RCI ship when a crew member had to be taken back to the ship on a pilot boat. Everyone watched and laughed, including crew. But I always wondered what the consequences were for delaying the ship's departure.

Judy
Old May 10th, 2005, 12:15 PM
DENISE H

i!m always back early i personlal don!t want to be left behind i always like watching
the late people runing trying to catch up with the ship
Old May 10th, 2005, 03:13 PM
MagnoliaBlossom

We had 3 guys miss the ship last year and the staff told us our captain was not one to give one second when it came to delinquent passengers, or slowing down for the "chase boat". So here comes a pilot boating trying to catch the ship. It was sorta' like the Columbian coffee commercial where the ship tips to one side as everyone rushes to the port side for coffee - well it was like that as people rubbernecked to watch the spectacle. There was even a floating pool on whether they would make it.

Mind you the ship has not slowed a bit and the pilot boat finally catches up with us. There are three "gentlemen" who had waaay to much fun at Carlos and Charlies, or the like, and watching them trying to sway in the same direction as the ship was quite a scene. It is amazing they weren't hurt, but they were too drunk to do much other than bounce - ever notice that about drunks? Word was it cost them $150 apiece, cash in advance for the boat to catch the ship and no refunds if they couldn't do it.

My favorite passtime, particularly in Cozumel is to watch the tardy racing for the gangplank. Cheap entertainment.
Old May 10th, 2005, 09:38 PM
Admiral

I love to watch folks coming back to the ship in Cozumel, especially if the ship is there until around midnight. As Magnolia said, it's entertainment.
Old May 11th, 2005, 10:28 AM
reverendjeff

Was'nt there a whole series of books about this? Left Behind?
I assume that's what they were about.
Old May 11th, 2005, 11:24 AM
Familiar Face

It has happened alot over the years, passengers being left behind in port. We were once drinking and sunning all day in the center of Costa Maya port and were pretty toasted by the time it was ready to depart. The employees there at bar were telling us that if we were on the ships, they were fixing to leave! And we were still in the pool so we had to run back to port all the way dripping the whole time with minutes to spare!

One reason for the pictures that they take when you check in at port when they assign your sail and sign card, is to keep track of who is on and off the ship. You punch your card on the way out and your picture pops up on screen and when you return you punch it to show your back on ship. So just before departure from port, those still not aboard who punched out earlier in the day will come up on their system. That is when you hear them start calling people names to report to pursers desk immediately. Thouhg I don't know how they think that they might have gotten in without punch the sial and sign card back in?

They will also check to see if they are part of an exersion that maybe has not arrived yet, if it was booked thru cruiseline they will hold the ship until they return. If booked seperately, your return trip to the ship is at your own cost bc they will leave you. It is a great security measure too! If there ever is a problem aboard with anything, this system will show all passengers and crew aboard during the time of instance, eliminating who wasn't present quickly! So this security measure works great I think.