Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 21st, 2005, 05:29 AM
Passenger

Default cruise's on ebay

Just wondering if anyone had bought their cruise on ebay? Looks like a good price on 7 day CCL from San Juan, and I was thinking of that area next. I'v never bought anything on ebay, but have sold some things. Let me know how it worked out if you did. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old May 21st, 2005, 06:50 AM
Admiral

Default Re: cruise's on ebay

Never bought a cruise on Ebay but I have purchased other items. Not very good experiences in my case.

Regards,
Thomas
Old May 21st, 2005, 07:19 AM
Familiar Face

I love eBay! I have bought many things since my boyfriend turned me on to them last year! I have not bought a cruise from ebay yet but I have been looking at them and will in the near future. They have great cruise deals all the time.
Old May 21st, 2005, 09:01 AM
Admiral

I think I'd be afraid to buy a cruise on e-bay. I prefer to stick to my favorite TA, a great lady who takes wonderful care of us and always gives us as good a price as I see anywhere else in my research, and I don't have to ask her to match it, she just automatically gives us the best price available. That way I know that there's someone there on the other end of the phone who's going to go to bat for me if anything happens.

Old May 21st, 2005, 09:17 AM
Admiral

We were e-screwed one too many times. We bought some sterling silver that turned out to be really bad silver plate and half of the pieces were missing. $1000 went bye bye. Seller never to be seen again. This is true!

We now gleefully loan out this lovely silver for white trash weddin's! No kidding! It's perfect for such events.
Old May 21st, 2005, 09:25 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to marvholly

I buy and sell on ebay. Have never had a problem. However, I just recently (past 2 months) heard a cruise seller went bankrupt and everyone was out of luck. Do not know if this qualifies under the Pay Pal protection plan. You might want to check.
Old May 21st, 2005, 10:00 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I would be very wary of a cruise on ebay. I would worry about what sort of service you get "after the purchase". That is almost as important as the price of you pay. If you end up with a problem who do go to? Do a lot of research before you even consider it.

To legitimately sell a cruise they would have to sell it as an agent. You can't resell a cruise that you purchased by just changing names.

I have purchased other items on ebay. You should always check the sellers feedback and like in any other purchase: "If it seems to good to be true it probably isn't." That 18kt gold Rolex Datejust, for $350, probably isn't real. <VBG>

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 21st, 2005, 01:00 PM
Admiral

I bought a satellite receiver once for $50, which was $50 cheaper than a new one at Sears. When it arrived I tried to get it activated and Dish Network told me the smart card owed over $450 worth of purchases on it which I would have to settle before they would activate the receiver.

Of course I didn't do that! Went to Sears and bought a new one so I now have $150 in it rather than $100.

Regards,
Thomas
Old May 23rd, 2005, 05:30 PM
ronni

Wow, it seems many here have had a lot of bad ebay experiences and i'm just the opposite. I've never bought a cruise, but i have bought many other items; some expensive some not. My mother's engagement ring came from ebay and when she had it appraised it appraised for twice what she paid!! I feel bad that so many of you have had such poor experiences. I wish you all better ebay luck in the future. Lastly, like many here, even with all my good luck, I don't think I'd purchase a vacation on ebay!
Old May 24th, 2005, 11:35 PM
Passenger

Thanks for all the input. Guess I'll give it some more thought. I have purchased all my other cruises here on the internet and not really known this people. Never had a problem so far. Looks like they all come from Travel Agents in TX. I'll do some more checking.