Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 22nd, 2005, 04:32 PM
piewacket

Default Travel Agent Shipboard Credit question

Would like some opinions from cruisers, and even more so from Travel Agents, on the amount of shipboard credit you think should be given in the following example.
We have booked with a new agent in our hometown. Usually, we have booked on-line, but thought we would give our money to a local.
Our cost for the cruise is $5434 p. p. cruise only. I'm not sure what the agent's commission is, but she offered $100 total as Shipboard Credit. This is a long back- to -back cruise and I would have thought to garner some future cruise dollars from us, she would have offered $100 p.p./per cruise for $400 total. She does know that we have taken over 50 cruises. This is our second this year.
Am I asking too much considering the amount of money we are providing the agent?
What have the rest of you received from your agents? And if you are an agent reading this, what would you have offered your client?
I really appreciate all feedback.
Thank you
Piewacket
Sponsored Links
Old May 22nd, 2005, 04:36 PM
piewacket

Default Re: Travel Agent Shipboard Credit question

P.S. I knew exactly which cruise we wanted, so there was no hand-holding involved. Visited her office twice to make deposit and final payments and exchanged about 5 brief phone calls.
Piewacket
Old May 22nd, 2005, 10:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

If you booked at a price you found to be a good deal , then the shipboard credit is a bonus (whatever amount was negotiated).

I assume you compared pricing from other suppliers, and negotiated a price you were happy with.... including the $100 credit. If you wanted/expected any more than that you should have negotiated it before booking.

What the agent makes on the transaction is really irrelevant. The deal that you found satisfactory and agreed to is all that's relevant.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old May 24th, 2005, 08:05 AM
SarahJ

Usually the shipboard credit isn't the travel agent taking money out of her pocket to give to you. They are incentives that are given as part of booking into group space or booking during a special promotion. I agree with Kuki that you need to look at the whole picture. Is she giving you a rate that is comparable to other agents and are you pleased with the rate. The shipboard credit amount really has nothing to do with what you paid for the cruise.