CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Red hat ladies??? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/273036-red-hat-ladies.html)

salem5050 May 23rd, 2005 03:33 PM

Red hat ladies???

Anyone a Red hat lady, its sounds like so much fun. I am looking into joining a chapter in Baltimore, Md.

Mary Margaret

rollerdonna May 23rd, 2005 05:18 PM

Re: Red hat ladies???

Me too, checking it out for my 50th birthday. I love that they all wear PURPLE!

donna

Dorothy May 23rd, 2005 08:34 PM

A friend has been trying to talk me into it - I would be a "pink hat" until I turn 50 in December. Sounds like lots of fun.

dorothy

libbynan May 23rd, 2005 10:26 PM

Go to several meetings before you ante up for dues and clothing. My mom and I did it the other way around and after two meetings discovered that our group was using this org. as an excuse to behave like the most obnoxious of teenagers in public places. I guess they thought they were cute, but definitely not our cup of tea! Hopefully the ones in your areas know how to have a good time and enjoy themselves w/out making a public spectacle, but I would find out before I put any money into it.

Cruise Cynic May 24th, 2005 04:07 AM

Sounds like something I might want to put on my list to join too....
(Right after joining the Jehovah's Witnesses...) :-)

salem5050 May 24th, 2005 06:46 AM

Well I sure hope I can find a lively bunch of Ladies! From what I understand they just have a great time, and if I want a quiet bunch of quiet ladies I will go to a library! JK!
There women in the groups have a great time, even the older older ones. Who says becaue you are older you have to be quiet. And by the way I visit nursing homes with pets on wheels, and there are some great older ladies there who like to kick it up a notch!

Not sure Cruise Cynic, why you would put such a remark on your comment but hey to each their own.....but as I was always told "don,t knock it till you try it"!

Hmm and maybe there are some Johovah witnesses on here that would take offense to your remark.......

Mary Margaret

libbynan May 24th, 2005 09:02 AM

Not saying you have to be quiet, just saying you don't have to behave in ways that suggest you are drunken hootchies on the prowl. My family and friends are known to get somewhat loud and boisterous when we are having a good time, but we do NOT chase harmless train conductors up and down the aisles making lewd suggestions when there are children present..... and yes, this DID happen!

Cindy May 24th, 2005 12:45 PM

Recently went up to City Place in Palm Beach. There was a "Red Hat" convention in town. Mort and I took a trolley tour around downtown Palm Beach with a bunch of the red hat ladies. We all stopped at an ice cream parlor there and sat together outside having our treats. They each told us where they were from, etc. They seemed to be having a lot of fun but were very well behaved. LOL I loved seeing their outfits, and they all looked very nice.
Cindy

libbynan May 24th, 2005 03:41 PM

Wish I could find a group like that!

Cruise Cynic May 24th, 2005 09:36 PM

Mary Margaret

Note the ":-)"

I don't put it often. It means something.

Plenty of JW's in my immediate family, FYI.
One of my personal pet peeves is people who feel the need to be "politically correct" about things they know absolutely nothing about.

Perhaps a visit from the above-mentioned ladies will help you, with their senses of humour in tow.

Post Edited (05-24-05 21:48)

belgique May 24th, 2005 11:20 PM

The golf club/restaurant I manage hosts several Red Hat Ladies luncheons every year and they are a great bunch of ladies - in every sense of the word.

What I like about them is that there is no pretentiousness - no charity they espouse, no "we have to go or we'll be out of the group" attitude, no cattiness (why are women always compared to cats?), nothing phony about them. I certainly didn't encounter "drunken hootchies on the prowl" - they were too busy enjoying their companions.

They want to have a good meal, some have a drink or two, a lot of laughs, much sharing of experiences, some great advice and a chance to make new and dear friends, and a great feeling of fellowship.

Life it too short to judge people - if it makes you happy and is not hurting anyone, just do it!

belgique May 24th, 2005 11:21 PM

P.S. It wasn't so long ago that red and purple didn't "go together" - remember your Mom telling you that?

A group of people, men OR women, who dispell that can't be all wrong!

libbynan May 26th, 2005 12:01 PM

I guess I have, once again, missed something. What are the JWs that someone has in their family,FYI, and who is trying to be politically correct about what that they know nothing about?

All I tried to do was warn those concerned that there are different types of Red Hat Societies and it might be wise to attend a couple of functions to see if you are compatible with the style of a particular group. That's far more practical than winding up with a closet full of purple clothes and red hats and no where to go..... which is what happened to my mom and me.

No one is saying that All Red hat groups are full of drunken, man-chasing hootchies...... we just had the misfortune to run across one that was. We have, if fact, been asked to join a spin-off group, but their news letter makes it clear that they mostly just do shopping excursions to every mall w/in a 200-mile area...... once again- not our thing. I think the Red Hat concept is a good one- you just have to find a group that's fun for YOU! Mother and I are like Trip- we need a book-reading, tea-sipping, cruise-taking Red Hat Society!