Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 25th, 2005, 06:01 AM
salem5050

Default Stem Cell research...for or against?

Ok her is a touchy subject I suppose. So calm down everyone. I am just curious how you all feel about stem cell research.
Now, I am definately not for producing embryro's for research purposes, but umbilical cord blood and cells from adults can be used for this research.
Bush claims the research destroys life because embryos are destroyed in the process. So I have a feeling he will vito what the House has passed.
But I wonder if someone in his family suffered from Alzheimers, cancer or paralysis if he would change his mind beings that some time in the future possibly a cure could be made from this research.
I just can not see how one man our president can make a decision that could effect all our lives in such a serious way.
I would love to hear the opinion of anyone on here who has a person suffering form a illness that could be cured in the future by this research.

Mary Margaret
Sponsored Links
Old May 25th, 2005, 06:18 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Stem Cell research...for or against?

My belief is this...

I hope that the intermediate use of actual stem cells well help the medical profession develope an artificial version of themselves as I think that it could be a huge step in medicine let alone understanding the human body.

As Mr spock would say "The needs of the few outway the needs of the many".
Or is the above statement true/ethical or not?

I hope this step is very short.

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old May 25th, 2005, 10:25 AM
Admiral

Although I voted for president Bush and would do so again, I do not agree with his views on stem cell research.

Stem cell research holds the possibility of treatments and cures for many human ailments and should be persued agressively.

Just my thought!
Old May 25th, 2005, 10:57 AM
CruisinK&J

I agree with Paul. Stem cell research needs to go full steam ahead. I think President Bush will veto it, though. But we need to think up a way around that.

Judy
Old May 25th, 2005, 11:28 AM
AR

There is one Congressman who suffers from diabetes who is still against the embryonic stem cell research bill as currently framed.

Here is the question I would love for him to answer: When embryonic stem cell research proceeds apace in other parts of the world (as it will), and it results in a breakthrough cure or treament for diabetes (as it well may), will you feel morally constrained to refuse the treatment because it was developed as a result of work with stem cells?

He may answer that he would refuse, I don't know. Certainly that would be the only reasonable course for him, for to do otherwise would mark him as a hypocrite.

I don't begrudge anybody their personal view about what constitutes life. I just know that I lost a mother-in-law to Alzheimers a few months ago, and that's a life too. She suffered in ways that those who have not seen this disease up close will ever understand or acknowledge.

It's clear that the majority of us favor principled genetic research, including the majority of Congress. The President will continue to ignore the will of the people on any issue which might rile his neo-con base. It's as simple as that.

I count as friends two prominent genetic researchers, both highly ethical and highly religious, whose excitement over the possibilities of this research literally brings a tingle to the back of my neck and tears to my eyes. If they have to go offshore to pursue this promising work, they very well may.

Because here at home, science has become a dirty word. Shame on us.
Old May 25th, 2005, 12:50 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I am very much in favor of stem cell research. I also feel very strongly on this subject and feel that we as a Nation are sliding back into the dark ages in regard to science. I also find it very disturbing the amount of inaccurate information that has been perpetuated to discredit this research.

People are entitled to their fundamental beliefs and if they have those beliefs I respect them and they should stand behind them. I just don't believe anyone on either side of the issue should use rumor, fear or outright lies to try to make their point or influence others. I also wish people could and would take time to research both sides of an important issue instead of just listening to a talking head or voice on TV or radio and taking it as "the truth".

If people took as much time to research this issue as they do in selecting and planning a cruise I wonder what a difference it would make.

Take care,
Mike (Who does have a neurological disorder and has removed his signature)

Old May 25th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I say If it can save lives then the research should go forward.

Laura

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old May 25th, 2005, 02:48 PM
Admiral

Boy… if this topic ain’t a can of worms, I don’t know what is… or is it immoral to put worms in a can these days?

and laughing is contagious,
here’s hoping for an epidemic!
Old May 25th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Jeanne&Ellis

We also agree with you Mike, you have said it better than I could.
Old May 25th, 2005, 03:40 PM
salem5050

Looks like Bush is going to veto it!
My neighbor who had been a friend for 32 years, at the old age of 57 died of Alzheimers and the suffering that man and his family went thru being so young, of how I wish they could have cured it by stem cell research.
Ugh!

But on another topic, its ok for ****** to be given to sexual offenders and paid by Medicade.

Wow....

Mary Margaret
Old May 25th, 2005, 04:02 PM
juliet k

Are they doing cell stem research on cruise ships now? Isn't this a cruise board?

Maybe there should be another category for off cruise topics just as there is a personal photo gallery.

Seems fair!!!!

Juliet
Old May 25th, 2005, 05:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Chit Chat folder is by nature... off topic. While there's some cruise information mixed in, much of this folder is about "anything".

We generally discourage political "discussions" because they turn to arguement. But, to this point, on this topic, people are responding civily... which is a good thing.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old May 25th, 2005, 09:53 PM
Admiral

Yeah, this is a touchy subject and believe me, this is one thread I am watching closely. I am not going to get involved myself but let's keep this very civil please and walk on eggshells on this one. Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs.
Jim

Old May 26th, 2005, 07:27 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Stem Cell research...for or against?

No matter how anyone feels about this research it will get done in another country .

Old May 26th, 2005, 04:20 PM
Admiral

It doesn't matter what Bush says or does. One man cannot stop progress! No one in the history of mankind, forever and ever, has been able to stop progress. It just can't happen. So Bush better get on the train and ride with it and quit thinking he is GOD!

God gave the skills and creativity to these scientists to research stem cells and because of this you must assume He is guiding his children to help the rest of society find cures for illnesses.

That's good enough for me!

Regards,
Thomas
Old May 26th, 2005, 04:51 PM
Admiral

Ya know, there is really nothing that says that this will do or help anything. I dearly hope that it does but this is just something that researchers want to look at. Nothing really anymore than the research that is going on with natural herbs and plants. I have nothing against research but the only thing I would object to is creating and then aborting or killing fetuses simply for this reason. I think that is what the President is looking at, that this is opening the door for partial birth abortion.
Jim

Old May 26th, 2005, 06:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Let's all get back to faith in God. Now that's a can of worms for some of you!!!!!!!!!
Old May 26th, 2005, 07:11 PM
AR

Default Re: Re: Stem Cell research...for or against?

What's your point, BetWes?

Are you saying that faith in God will automatically land you on one side of this issue or another? That's demonstrably not so. Some of the most prominent scientists in this field are devout believers, as are some who oppose the research.

Just can't figure out what you're trying to say.
Old May 27th, 2005, 12:29 AM
Admiral

A women from New Zealand went to China (2 months ago) and had (I believe) stem cell theropy.

She is suffering from some sort of neurological disease where she cannot stand or walk and cannot drink or eat without coughing/gagging. She also cannot speak as all that comes out is mumbeld words.

They drilled 2 small holes in to her skull/brain and deposited stem cells.
This has already been used on many human subjects and is surposed to return the patient back to "normal" life for some time (2 months to 2 years I think.).

There were improvements reported for this woman post-op (drinking well), but I have not heard anything since.

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!