CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Just planted tomato plants...any good hints to good crop? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/273107-just-planted-tomato-plants-any-good-hints-good-crop.html)

salem5050 May 30th, 2005 12:50 PM

Just planted tomato plants...any good hints to good crop?

Any good hints to good tomato crop?
I am going to plant a few pepper plants also.

Mary Margaret

Lisa May 30th, 2005 12:54 PM

Re: Just planted tomato plants...any good hints to good crop

Plenty of sun and a water.......protect them from the rabbits and other critters. Here we never fertilize our tomato plants and we get more than enough tomatos!

CruzCrazy May 30th, 2005 01:22 PM

My father used to grow tomatoes on Long Island. He was also an avid fisherman. He would bury the fish heads in the rose bush garden and we had beautiful roses.

Now if you have cats that could be a problem.

Another solution that I use for gardening is Fish Emulsion. It's sold in liquid form at Lowes. I swear by it. It's a wonderful fertilizer for all veggies and flowers.

Happy cruising and gardening.

Angela Z. May 30th, 2005 02:24 PM

Probably one of the only things I've ever missed about living in NJ was the homegrown tomatoes. Sorry, no hints, just a fond memory.
Angela Z.

Phyllbo May 30th, 2005 05:57 PM

CruzCrazy, I was thinking the same thing. My dad used to catch mackeral, and then he'd put them under the tomato plants. We used to have some of the best tomatoes!!! Fortunately they have that fish emolsion nowadays.

Phyll

MichelleP May 31st, 2005 08:48 AM

My dad grows tomatoes. He puts chicken wire cages around the plants to keep the birds off.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Anne Campbell May 31st, 2005 09:24 AM

Any New Yorker -- like me -- is absolutely forbidden to comment on this issue, lol. I buy great ones from New Jersey at the local supermarket, but I'm sure they can't touch your tomatos. Sounds like some great advice here....

MagnoliaBlossom May 31st, 2005 09:36 AM

Well, down here in Louisiana I harvested my first batch of 'maters last week. Of course it's hard for me to get them to the ripe stage because my beloved husband loves friend green tomatoes more than anything.

Best advice for tomatoes is to plant them really, really deep. Every place the stem touches the soil will put down roots and feed the plant. Of course, you've already planted but if you didn't plant deep (I put the plant in the hole with only 1/3 of the plant of above ground - yeh, it really startles rookie gardeners). I just love filling the trench rows with fish guts - it makes for the prettiest soil. Flood your rows deeply once a week to get to the bottom of the roots. Tomoato plants have roots about 3 feet deep, which makes for good support when they get soooo topheavy by the end of the season. If you water the surface frequently you will draw the roots to the surface when they need to be deep in the earth.

I compost a lot and try to use organic priniples whenever possible but if you do not have compost with which to sidedress your plants or to make compost tea then use a fertilizer designed for tomatoes. In case you haven't done it you probably need to test your soil to see if it's lacking in anything and properly amend the soil for future crops. Of course, the best amendment you can make is compost.

If cutworms are a problem you can discourage them by placing a collar around the base of the stalk. Old toilet paper rolls are good, or you can use aluminum foil. Just make sure you press it down into the soil along the stalk for an inch or two.

For peppers do pretty much the same thing although they don't like as much water as tomatoes.

Some folks are big believers in discouraging bugs by companion planting marigold beside your tomatoes. Certain types of marigolds give off a compound into the soil that discourages nematodes which can feed on the plants roots. I've never had a nematode problem so I cannot give personal testimony on whether this works but it makes the garden look nice!

MagnoliaBlossom

LisaK May 31st, 2005 12:19 PM

tomato plants love cow manure for fertilizer. Tomato cages are a must for support when they start to grow. That's about all we do for our garden