CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   EEEEEEK! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/273172-eeeeeek.html)

Trip June 5th, 2005 02:32 PM

EEEEEEK!

What ONE thing would you scream blue murder, if, when you unpacked, on your cruise, you realized you forgot to pack....It's a safe bet that, it wouldn't be the same thing for a man, as it would be for a woman.

I wanted to say, my hair dryer, but IF, I had to, I would go to the beauty salon every day:)
So, I decided on my makeup bag. Replacing all the goodies I shlep, would be costly, and I may not leave the cabin, if I didn't have it, so that gets my vote. How about you?

Also, do you really need a list to pack by, or do you have a routine you use? Or, do you just wing it and pray? Do you pack for your spouse? Do you rolI, or lay flat? Bubble wrap or cleaner bags, for less wrinkles? I know someone who has a cruise closet. That stuff, etc is ready when they are..those lucky stiffs! So, what's your story?

skymaster June 5th, 2005 03:10 PM

Re: EEEEEEK!

I pack my own, and the lovely Mrs. Jones packs for herself. We have the great majority of our "cruise stuff" pretty much seperated in a spare bedroom. We don't use a list, and at least I pack roughly the same stuff each trip. (I do think it's much easier for a man than a woman) At least that's what the lovely Mrs. Jones tells me. I can't remember ever boarding without anything that was absolutely necessary. We've missed small things from time to time, but nothing that we couldn't either do without, or replace aboard, or ashore. We simply don't "stress out" over the prep for a cruise. We enjoy!
See you aboard,
Ken

bigsky June 5th, 2005 03:10 PM

Oohh...not good to forget our make-up!! I'd also be upset to forget my bathing suit.

Always make a list when packing. This past Dec. I didn't and forgot my formal dress. Pack for hubby as well...AND kids.
I just lay items flat. Don't use anything special. But this time I have a dress that wrinkles VERY easy, so will have to figure out some different way to pack it.

We leave next Sunday..better make that list now!

Happy cruising ‹

gb52877 June 5th, 2005 04:46 PM

I agree about the makeup, I use Estee Lauder and you can not buy it every where. I think I could work around everything else by either purchasing items , going to the hair salon, or doing without.

I am a list person but I also start laying everything out in our spare bedroom weeks before we are to leave. Then the night before I go through my list for the last time and pack the items in our suitcases.

I use dry cleaner bags and I lay things flat. I also pack for my DH.

I do have a section in my walkin closet for some items that we only use for cruises but not a whole closet.

I do wish I could learn to pack lightly. I read a thread where a couple only took carryons for a 10 day cruise. Can you believe this? I think half the fun is purchasing new outfits to where on the cruise.

CruzinK&J June 5th, 2005 07:07 PM

I agree about the makeup bag. I make a list and check it more than twice. Missed clothing is a problem on cruise ship if you're not slim and or if you need alterations.You can replace very little in their boutiques. No matter how I pack, everything gets wrinkled. I believe you can take too little. That's what happened to me on our last cruise.

Judy

Lynne &Trevor June 5th, 2005 07:40 PM

I have precription meds that I take-one a day for both. Neither is for a life threatening illness, but I rely on the one to keep me "young" and "cool". I take a bathing suit along on every cruise but seldom use it. Make-up--I've gone to work without it when I was running late and no one noticed. I could buy something in the ship store or in port. I would probably be upset if I forgot the shoes to go with my formal. Nothing like wearing a fancy dress and loafers! (although that would be more comfortable.)
We don't start packing until the week of, and more likely, the day before. We've travelled enough now to know what to take. Trevor would be unhappy if he forgot his shaver, bathing trunks, tie clasp or the belt for his pants. Last year we did the first formal up in the buffet area and enjoyed it just as much, so that would be Plan B if the formal dress attire didn't work out. Lynne

rollerdonna June 5th, 2005 08:40 PM

Seriously, it would be heart medications. Laughably, it would be a bathing suit!

donna

SUSAN CURTIS June 5th, 2005 10:05 PM

I have forgotten part of my make up. It was easy to replace at the first port. I would hate to forget the small pharmacy we take with us. Even aspirin cost a small fortune on the ship.
One time I forgot my dance pants. (They are pants you where under you dance skirts so when you spin you unmentionables are not mentioned)
The worst time was when we went on the Princess for the first time. On Carnival, my husband always buys his cigarettes on board as soon as we leave port because they are so much cheaper. When I asked where they sold the cigarettes and the salesperson told me they didnít sale cartons of cigarettes, My reply was ď Oh, my God, this ship isnít big enough for me to hide the next 2 days until we get to port!!Ē Thankfully, they sold single packs at the bar. Then we hit Costco/or Samís Club as soon as we got to Puerto V.

Bigsky,
Try rolling it in tissue paper.

Cruise Cynic June 5th, 2005 11:15 PM

Ummm. Donna, just WHAT would you do if you forgot your bathing suit????

8-0

Lombard June 5th, 2005 11:16 PM

And the Bee Gees CD?

Jen Young June 6th, 2005 05:34 AM

Once I forgot my glasses - which was not all that enjoyable.

Another time I forgot my credit card. We were driving to Florida. I remembered just a few miles down the road and we turned around. My heart still palpatates at the thought of being on vacation and no plastice. Now that would have been tragedy. I'd have had to subject all my purchases to my husbands discretion and card. It would not have been all that fun.

VTJen

Thomas June 6th, 2005 07:23 AM

Once I forgot the tickets. Had to turn around and go back to the house to get them.

Another time I forgot my wallet. Same as above.

Another time I forgot my book. Had to buy one on the way to the port.

Another time I forgot my deck shoes. See above.

Another time I forgot my Leatherman's tool. I cancelled the trip!!!!

Regards,
Thomas

AR June 6th, 2005 07:35 AM

Having a tough time deciding among the duct tape, the ******, the clothes steamer, the underwear and the outlet strip.

LisaK June 6th, 2005 10:40 AM

honestly their are only a couple of things that would cause me to freak, if i forgot my passport, credit card and cruise documents. Everything else can be replaced.
I am a list maker, i make my list, lay things out in the spare bedroom and check them off the list once they are packed.
Dress clothes get hung in the garment bag, i do use the dry cleaners bags.
I use ziploc type bags for socks and undies, stuff the bag, squish out the air and throw them into any corner of your suitcase.

salem5050 June 6th, 2005 12:10 PM

My sea sick pills!!

Mary Margaret

IMASEALUVR June 6th, 2005 02:01 PM

THIS IS TRUE! DH and I got to airport with only minutes to spare. He realized he forgot his wallet. (Drivers License, charge card). Fortunately DD gave a ride to airport and gave us her debit card. I had our passports. When we got to port we had to put cash up front on our S&S ( I think $300). We worked it out, but, whew, we were a bit nervous there for a while!

bigjohn461 June 6th, 2005 05:05 PM

My Dear Wife....YIIIIiiiiiPPPPeeeee......God I hope she dont see this....>JK<

Post Edited (06-06-05 17:07)

libbynan June 6th, 2005 06:12 PM

I am a list-maker..... I make a clothes list (I use the "capsule method" two coordinating colors and every piece goes w/ every other piece) and a makeup list and a medication list and a miscellaneous list. DH packs right before we leave, but I have already shopped for him and gotten every thing clean and pressed and before he closes his bags I quiz him from an "essentials" list that I made for him. This way we very seldom forget anything and never an EEEEEEEK! item. I do this for ALL trips.... Land, sea, or air.

Lynne and Trevor June 6th, 2005 07:33 PM

Trevor doesn't like to pack, but I'm trying to train him. He's still at the throw everything into a plastic bag stage!
I can get through the underwear and socks and bathing trunks, and maybe a couple of shirts, OK, but then the guessing really begins. Finally, after I've packed most of the stuff, IT starts--"Did you pack this?" "Did you make sure that?" "I don't like that T-shirt-it's too tight in the neck", "What socks did you pack?" I try to make sure he's thinking about what he wants to wear for a good week. Really, though, he's happiest in a T-shirt, shorts and his sandals, and, a baseball cap!
I have to admit that he cleans up pretty well and looks fabulous in his good suit-but last year he "dressed down" to a sports coat.
My problem is thinking of alternatives that I could have packed for myself. As previously stated in some other post, I used to work for the American Red Cross and am used to packing for 3 weeks of clothes at a time. On a one week cruise, I have to decide what will be "universal"-and TRY the capsule method.
As long as we have our undies, toiletries, medications, and documents, I think we could always get by, and maybe a change of clothes. "There's always Mastercard"-and the ship account!! Lynne Nothing is really an EEK! except the 4-5 things I mentioned that we couldn't live without.