Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 9th, 2005, 07:50 PM
AR

Default Second Mike's Emotion

About a month and a half ago I reported on my "New Years Resolution" weight loss using the South Beach diet. Things have progressed apace and I'm now almost literally in Mike's shoes. As of this morning, 47 pounds since January first, and going strong (although the losses are more difficult now--about 5-7 pounds a month).

So I've been doing the closet thing too. The target I set (and the doc agreed) leaves me only about 10 pounds to go, but now I think I may want to do 20 more instead. That's partly because I really think I've changed the WAY I eat to the point that staying with it no longer seems like a particularly hard thing to do, even though I truly miss an occasional big bowl of non-whole wheat pasta!

But that closet! First of all, I must confess that I have unwittingly lied on this board. In reponse to the many dress code rants I've occasionally said that I don't understand why people don't simply adhere to what's requested, because it's easy and it's the grownup thing to do. In this context I've said that all my clothes fit fine, and they're all comfortable, so what's the big deal about "comfort?"

Well, I've now discovered that all my clothes don't fit fine. I look like a circus clown in my favorte suit (the one I had made in Hong Kong), and the tuxedo's pretty baggy too. I'm going to see if I can have the suit rebuilt, but I fear that it may be too big to even accomplish that. And the tux, which didn't cost that much in the first place and has served me well for 15 years, may not be worth the effort.

Like Mike, I've started buying some new things, but I'm cautious about going at it hammer and tong because I'm not where I want to be yet. Plus, vanity is starting to set in. When I DO get the new stuff I don't want it to look even a little baggy. Plus, I don't want any "room for growth," because I don't want to grow again. But I'll tell you, just to be able to walk into a regular store, shop the sales and find a good selection sure beats the hell out of being relegated to the big and tall stores.

In any event, with a lot of travel coming up, including a long cruise in August, I've got to work up a plan of attack. I'm going to take the suit (and maybe the tux) to a tailor at the end of June and see what can be done. If they have to be euthenized I'll bite the bullet and go out and get new ones. Meanwhile I'll continue to pick up some summer stuff here and there, and wait till fall for the winter stuff.

Little did I realize that this weight loss stuff eventually takes on some of the characteristics of a military campaign, complete with strategy and tactics! But I'm not complaining. I'm just glad the battle plan is working.

So Mike, I can relate!
Sponsored Links
Old June 9th, 2005, 08:56 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Second Mike's Emotion

Congratulations AR and Mike! I'm afraid I can't relate, I'm one of those people you prpobably love to hate, because I never gain or lose, just stay the same no matter what I eat. Unfortunately though, I am stuck with the same wardrobe year after year!

donna

Old June 9th, 2005, 09:02 PM
Jeanne&Ellis

Congratulations AR, it is a very hard thing to diet lose and keep it off. Anyone who can do it deserves a lot of credit. Enjoy the "new you" feels so good!! And I am sure it has helped you health wise also. Good luck with the last few pounds, they are always the hardest.

Jeanne
Old June 9th, 2005, 09:10 PM
Cruisin K and J

May I add my congratulations, AR. Losing weight isone of life's diffficult things to do. As I posted on Mikes message, Keith lost nine pounds without trying,except for his weekly exercise. At this point, the doctor's not concerned. It ain't working for me, though!

Judy
Old June 9th, 2005, 09:38 PM
Administrator
Admiral

AR:

It's a great dilemma to have, isn't it? I purchased some jeans and khakis a couple of months back and they are now too large. I have also taken to wearing some shirts that can be left un-tucked so it doesn't show that some pants are cinched around my waist.

Luckily, I no longer have to wear suits on a daily basis. If that was the case that would set me back a few cruises with replacements and alterations.

We are of the same mindset. Vanity does set in and it has for me. I have found myself standing "sideways" in front of the mirror in new clothes.

I have also a developed strategy on what clothes I need to replace first. How I am going to replace them. What clothes are "temporary" replacements and what clothes can wait until the final goal weight is reached.. I feel like I need to do a project plan and calculate costs, man hours and do a risk assessment. <g>

AR: I am glad you are doing so well and it is all worth it. The final wardrobe will be worth it and hopefully someday we'll be able toast our accomplishment.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 9th, 2005, 10:44 PM
borntocruise

AR.....So proud for you, keep up the dieting & reach for the sky. The feeling of donning new duds & everything looks great "FROM THE SIDE is wonderful. Good luck & many wonderful wardrobes to you.

Happy cruising !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

jp
Old June 9th, 2005, 10:54 PM
borntocruise

Spending alot on SMALLER sure beats spending alot on LARGER!!!!
So happy for you...

jp
Old June 10th, 2005, 05:04 AM
Jen Young

Congratulations AR.

I guess you and Mike could think of it like this. You'll have to have a small wardrobe of clothes to get you thru the in-between period -not what I was, but not where I'm gonna be. These in-between clothes won't be used long at the rate of speed you guys are going. After you are done with them there will be someone at Good Will or maybe in your Church that might be in need and would love to have these new clothes. So it is almost like Charity, and you can even get a small tax write off for your donation.

A lady in our church was in a horrible car accident on Christmas day. She is just now getting out a little with use of a wheel chair. She has lost a ton of weight too. She is now down to a size 14 and is in desperate need of clothes, which I'm trying to locate for her. I'm sure that someone near you are someone you know can help you find a place for your old duds.

I'm so proud of you both!!!

VTJen
Old June 10th, 2005, 05:57 AM
Admiral

Congratulations to both you and Mike.

I lost 40 pounds last year, and then got off track with all of my health issues. I am having a terrible time getting back to the healthy eating choices once again, and starting to put back the pounds. Funny that it didn't seem that hard when I was doing the WW thing. It sure is about choices, and you can find some really tasty things. I understand why you want to keep on with the new lifestyle you have chosen. GO FOR IT!

Phyll

Old June 10th, 2005, 07:11 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Second Mike's Emotion

Congrats on the weight loss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am thinking to go back on my diet and was thinking to do a combo with Atkins/South Beach. I had lost a lot of weight last year and regained 40lbs....time to do soemthing!
Old June 10th, 2005, 09:44 AM
Admiral

if you can wait a bit longer to buy your new summer "skinny" clothes you will hit the seasonal sales, watch the paper for sales, buy your clothes on sale.
Old June 10th, 2005, 11:23 AM
AR

I'm sure I speak for Mike as well as myself in thanking all of you for your encouragement.

Lisa, good point about the sales. I'm doing only the "absolute musts" for the summer stuff until the big sales kick in. Jen, yes, absolutely about the charity donations. I didn't mention that my wife is in this deal with me, and also doing well. Between us, we've sent many bags to charity already, and there's always at least one "bag in progress" as things move along. In addition to the size issue, my wife still has a closet full of "dress for success" clothes that she's never dumped since she retired, and which she wouldn't need now even if they fit perfectly. She's learned of a charity that supports women who are trying to break through the "glass ceiling" with both training and practical support. This outfit passes these kinds of clothes on to these women, so there's a separate box being filled for them.

I did buy one pair of shorts the other day that I couldn't resist. It's a size smaller than most things I'm wearing right now, but it has an elastic waistband so the fit is OK. It's the first time I've bought anything with an elastic waistband for the RIGHT reason--so that I can grow smaller and it will still fit, instead of the reverse.

Phyll--if you haven't already, give South Beach a try.