CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Money Makes the World Go Round (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/273292-money-makes-world-go-round.html)

Trip June 14th, 2005 06:36 PM

Money Makes the World Go Round

A $100 million dollar lawsuit was filed yesterday on belhalf of the passengers of the Norwegian Dawn yesterday. The suit alleges that NCL sent the Dawn into the path of an oncoming storm on April 16th.The ship was diverted to No Carolina,and some passengers were hurt.The laywer said" they deliberately took the passengers into a serious storm, and put their lives at risk." The Coast Guard stated that the ships Captain acted appropriately.

I think we all know who will probably make out in this matter.

juliet k June 14th, 2005 07:30 PM

Re: Money Makes the World Go Round

Who???

steph_texas June 14th, 2005 08:23 PM

probably the lawyers representing the people will be the big winners... I just dont see how ou can sue for an ACT OF GOD.... look @ your homeowners insurance policy... ACTS OF GOD... not covered ! Im sure the lawyers will promise sun & moon... but the claimants would be lucky to get a MOON PIE !! The people that were genuinely hurt and NOT just looking for any easy buck, I hope will get a future cruise credit or such and IF it was the ships FAULT.... help with medicals. This is a touchy subject, I normally dont respond - I hope this doesnt get heated... but I wont be hear to read the replies..... I'll be in VEGAS BABY !!!

jmo
Steph

susancruzs June 14th, 2005 08:32 PM

Never ceases to amaze me, the lawsuits today, but then people never cease to amaze me either.

I read so many posts around the net, we didn't go to this port, we didn't get this, the cruise line didn't compensate us, this happened, that happened and then there is good old Mother Nature!

Susie

belgique June 14th, 2005 11:16 PM

I was twice involved in Class Action suits that I knew nothing about! Seems Celebrity and Princess overcharged a port fee at some island by $10.00 or so and someone figured that out about 2 years later.

I kept getting mail from a law firm, along with a zillion other passengers, I'm sure, and a few years later got some coupons for $10.00 off on my next Celebrity or Princess cruise. Of course, I didn't have the heart to use them.

It amazes me how lawsuit happy the country is. On a cruise on the Amsterdam a few years ago, the Norwalk virus broke out - I did not get sick but some people did. I spoke with a woman at the pool who asked if I was going to ask for some "compensation" and I asked her what for? She said she was going to talk to her lawyer. I said, "But you didn't get sick!" and she replied, "But I could have!"

So - Steph is right - a bunch of lawyers will make some money.

Cruznut2 June 15th, 2005 04:48 AM

"But I could have" Geee she could get sick right in her own home too. Then who would she sue?

Laura

LisaK June 15th, 2005 09:47 AM

unfortunatley i am not surprised by this. Its all lawyer driven -imho. The lawyers dazzled and woohed(suckered) some passengers into believing that they have a snow balls chance of getting some kind of extra compensation, other than what the cruise line has already given. The Coast Guard has cleared the Captain!! <hello>. This lawsuit should be thrown out of court.

Thomas June 15th, 2005 09:58 AM

Where do I sign up? I 'could have' taken that cruise, therefore I 'could have' been diverted and I 'could have' been hurt so I 'should have' been compensated.

Regards,
Thomas

Happy Camper June 15th, 2005 03:11 PM

Hopefully the same thing will happen as before on the Norway - no offense to the poor people that died in that explosion - a lawyer decided to not take the money given to the families and have them all join up and sue for mega millions. They did and were only awarded by the judge about 1/2 of what they would have gotten in the first place. They are foreign ships - I forgot what the actual deal was in the end but it was something about them being foreign vessels I think. I dont' think anyone will get anything... Debbie