Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 19th, 2005, 10:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Trouble in Paradise;(

Suddenly the Caribbean is getting bad press...2 men were killed in St Thomas on Wednesday. They were visiting from NYC, and went there for a wedding, and were murdered,right near the post office....There is not much info known yet.. There was a segment on GMA, this morning about crime in the Caribbean. I think, if not for the mystery in Aruba, the possibility is there, that we may never have heard of this, outside of New York City. Just goes to show you, you have to be aware, and on your guard, even in paradise..So sad for all the families involved.

Post Edited (06-19-05 22:18)

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old June 19th, 2005, 10:20 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Trouble in Paradise;(

Old June 19th, 2005, 11:44 PM
Admiral

That is the way of the world, unfortunately.

Even in my paradise these things happen.

A man was shot dead last night and he was just helping out a friend by taking his shift at the local Dairy. (4711 to you folks)

I personally blame "P" for most of the crimes these days Grrrrrrrrr!!!

Post Edited (06-19-05 23:46)

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old June 20th, 2005, 08:59 AM
First Mate

Trip...you are soooo right! This is very sad news. According to the islands daily newspaper, these are the 16th. and 17th. homicides in the territory this year and the 7th. and 8th. on St. Thomas. The police say that this is a very baffling incident. They have no motive or suspects. Both men still had all their personal items, includinig cash and credit cards and neither man had a criminal history. As of Friday, the police had not arrested anyone in connection with any murders this year.

We love St. Thomas and are looking forward to returning there this fall. It certainly was alarming news, but it can and does happen here and in paradise.

Pudy
Old June 20th, 2005, 09:27 AM
Admiral

Lombard--what is "P"?

Old June 20th, 2005, 09:40 AM
Parrot Mom

There is a "dirty little secret" in the islands I honestly believe and that is the crime against tourists. This information doesn't make big waves in the States.. There was a girl on a ship that was they believe kidnapped in Aruba amd talen off the ship in a laundry basket never to be seen again. The young girl inJamaica that mysteriously disappeared and the "logs" from the hotel are missing..with no help from the Tourism people....and now, only because Iread the Daily Gazette from Bermuda do I see a huge rise in crime aimed at the tourists...tourists chased as they are heading back to their hotel, wallets and $$ stolen at beaches, tourists being chased with a machete.. Times are changing and it's up to all of us to act responsibly, be aware of our surroundings when touring. As for St. Thomas...when the store keepers lock down the shops at 5:00 and head home because of safety and the drug problem...then we should all be aware..
Old June 20th, 2005, 10:35 AM
Admiral

What I find amazing is the amount of poverty on these islands when you know the tourism dollars are flowing. I like to take island tours through the islands away from the touristy beaches to see the real culture. What I find is immense poverty just a few paces away from the shopping/tourist districts.

This leads me to believe a lot of these governments must be corrupt, or at least poorly managed. How a small little island, with enormous influx of tourist money, and little population; have such a large segment of it's citizenship living in depair is beyond me.

Regards,
Thomas
Old June 20th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Happy Camper

One thing to really open eyes on a cruise is to bring a radio with you and when in port tune into the local stations. We have done this in Jamaica and the killing and riots going on in Kingston were bad while we were in Montego Bay. Also a great way to tape your own local music - ours has a tape player and we start recording and let it go... Debbie
Old June 20th, 2005, 11:12 AM
Admiral

Debbie--great idea. I never thought of that. Thanks.

Old June 20th, 2005, 12:21 PM
Admiral

how sad! unfortunately we veteran cruisers for the most part know about St. Thomas's "dirty little secret" - its drug dealings. You need to be aware, use your head, don't trek off the beaten path. That is why when newbies ask for cruise tips, i tell them just because you are on vacation doesn't mean that you should leave your brain back home.
Old June 20th, 2005, 12:50 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Trouble in Paradise;(

Let's get our stories straight here. The girl missing from the cruise ship went missing AT SEA. True the last port of call was Aruba, but Aruba is "innocent" on that one. The travel writer missing in Jamaica was last seen with employees (bartender) from her hotel. The bartender is a prime suspect but nothing can be proved .
Shopkeepers in St Thomas lock their shops at 5 or 6pm because all the customers are gone. Because the area then becomes desolate, there is some drug trade in the alleyways we all walk in during the day. The shops are not shut down because of the drug trade.
I do not dispute that there is crime in "paradise" but let's not inflame the topic with inaccurate stories and urban legends.
Old June 20th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Bill,
There is also a missing girl in Aruba, just recently, she was with a group of kids from school....they are still looking for her, not much new, one suspect is the son of a judge there...The missing girl was on Rhapsody, they had already left Aruba I believe....

Guess, you can never feel safe, like Trip says, even in Paradise....its a shame.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 20th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Admiral

Cheryl
P is a "Meth adfedamine" (SP?) based drug.

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old June 20th, 2005, 03:39 PM
Admiral

Thanks for the clarification on "P".

Old June 20th, 2005, 09:12 PM
Admiral

Papa Bill, you are very correct in what you state but unfortunately there are some that just seem to thrive on rumors.

Carried off a ship in a laundry basket??? I think I have heard it all now.
Oh, by the way--- I saw Elvis today holding a sign that read " will sing for a peanut butter and banana sandwich " !!
Old June 21st, 2005, 08:05 AM
Parrot Mom

Sorry if you think I'm inflamming.. but the parents of the girl that was "taken off in a laundry basket" have publicly talked about it on tv....and have been scammed by a woman in Aruba for $$$ who claims she knows where she is being held...<caron>The travel writer incident has been covered up by a powerful person in the Jamaica tourist industry according to her parents and has been very uncooperative.. As for beautiful Bermuda... read as I do the Royal Gazette daily to see the increasing crime rate against tourists. Bermudians seem powerless to stop this crime wave not only against tourists but against their own people. As for St. Thomas....a shop lady in a very prestigious china store said that the tourists are back on the boats by supper time it/s true.. but drugs in CA are rampart.
Old June 21st, 2005, 08:22 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Trouble in Paradise;(

Folks, I am well aware of the missing young lady in Aruba and have posted about it many times here. Her parents, chaparones and friends as well as the young lady herself could not have all acted in a stupider manner if they were trying to get rid of the girl. The situation is appalling all around.
Checks my posts. I have posted more than once about safety in Charlotte Amoile after dark. There are drugs , big time, but they are not the reason the shops close. The shops close because the customers are GONE. Then, when no one else is frequenting the alleyways and street corners of downtown CA, the drug dealers and users feel safer to come out.
There will be crime ANYWHERE there are people and anywhere there is money and anywhere there is a disparity between wealth and poverty. The Caribbean is no exception.
My comments made above are made only so what we see posted here are FACTS. Facts do not come from tabloid TV and newspapers and conspiracy theorists. It is a shame that reporters drag out desperate parents grasping at straws and put them on TV for the entertainment value. To further those rumors and theories as facts only serves to perpetuate urban myths and legends.