Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 22nd, 2005, 05:07 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2
Default Have you ever met this person?

Have you ever met the person who has never been on a cruise but HATES everything about a cruise? I have run across this attitude many times and always wonder how they can put down something they have never tried nor will even consider trying.

Laura

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Sponsored Links
Old June 22nd, 2005, 06:02 AM
venice

Default Re: Have you ever met this person?

all the time...after one conversation to ascertain that they don't like cruising, I just never bring up the conversation again..if they are my friend or co-worker that one has to interact with, I just put cruising in the category of other things one never talks about...one's religion, how much money one makes and politics (IMHO cruising encompasses all 3 taboo subjects)

However, I bet you a dollar that if that person ever won a cruise, they would be the first one to praise cruising

also, sometimes people are jealous of something you can do (cruising) and they can't due to a number of factors (money, fear of water, don't like to fly, )
Old June 22nd, 2005, 07:01 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

Yes, I have too met someone who didn't like cruising. They were in the Navy and hated every minute. So needless to say, I dropped the subject.
We did discuss the weather..lol

Old June 22nd, 2005, 08:05 AM
Admiral

Mostly I run across people who are intrigued, but deathly afraid of being seasick!
I confess, I was one of them once, and now I am quick to reassure others, that if I can do it, they can do it too, and not be sick! (so far, so good!)

donna

Old June 22nd, 2005, 09:34 AM
Admiral

My oldest daughter fits the bill exactly. We want to take them on a cruise and she will not go. Has 500 reasons why and the biggest ship she has ever been on is the circle Line Boat around NY.
Old June 22nd, 2005, 10:36 AM
Admiral

sure have. The biggest reasons seem to be that they think they will be bored (yeah right) and that they will get sea sick. If its someone that i know fairly well i will tell them, well how do you know unless you give it a try? If we are home, i will pull out the photo albums and give them the "wow" factor.
Old June 22nd, 2005, 11:23 AM
First Mate

Location: Near Liz's favourite home, Windsor Castle, Berkshire, U.K.
Default Re: Re: Have you ever met this person?

Many people seem adverse to cruising and the main reason I have heard is the fear of feeling confined and not able to get off the ship when they want. Of course, this is the very same fear that many, many people have about flying too - the feeling ob somehow being trapped.

Us cruisers obviously know that it is nothing like that but if people have a far in their heads, it can be difficult to alleviate them.

Also, there are those people on the planet who hate the ocean and open water as well and I am sure fear sinking. the movie Titanic certanly didn;t help that group of people to think about cruising for their next vacation

REgards,

KG
Old June 22nd, 2005, 02:05 PM
venice

I would suspect that there are some CM posters who have spouses/significant others who hate cruises and refuse to go wih them...Does it cause a problem for the relationship if they go on alot of cruises without the other person ?
Old June 22nd, 2005, 08:32 PM
Admiral

Yes, I have met these people! As kimmiegirl said, they are afraid of being confined on a ship! They say there wouldn't be anything to do but lay beside the pool. I could talk myself "blue in the face" (and have!) and they just don't get it. I've showed them our pictures, the ship's daily papers, told them about shore excursions, etc., and "no go"!

These are very good friends and I think they'd LOVE cruising, but they just won't try it.

I give up!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old June 23rd, 2005, 03:29 AM
Admiral

My dh was one, but joined my son and I for our 2nd cruise and is now hooked! His issue was the "being confined, not able to get off" fear.

Of course he found the ship anything but confining and ON THE WAY HOME from his 1st cruise started talking about the next one!

You can't force people whose minds are set, but if you can just get them to try it.....

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old June 24th, 2005, 05:18 AM
Admiral

A presenter on our local tv morning show said that it was a prison and would find that he couldn't escape.

Truly a fallacy !!!

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!