Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 25th, 2005, 04:52 PM
First Mate

Default You Might Have Been On Too Many Cruises If......

You might have been on too many cruises if.....you have more cruise clothes than work clothes. I was just trying on dinner dresses for my upcoming 11 day Hawaii cruise in three months (hoping they still fit from year to year) and I just realized that I have more cruise clothes than work clothes...wonder where my priorities are?

I've been on 32 cruises and I might buy a new long dress for dinner each year, so I've collected quite a few dresses that I can wear no other place than on a cruise.

I've heard of people commenting on people not dressing for dinner but I've been on the other end of those comments. When I'm home, I don't have any occasions where I wear long "sparkly" dresses to dinner, so I save them for my cruises that I take once or twice a year. On one cruise, I heard the comment from someone "well, it's not even dress up night, who does she think she is?" I dress up every night on a cruise, whether it's dressy night or not....I figure, it's my cruise and I can dress however I like ....and I like to dress up because I don't get a chance at home. Has anyone else had this problem of comments or funny looks when they dress up on nights that are casual? I think it's kind of funny; it really seems to upset some people.

Happy Cruising....Buddy
Sponsored Links
Old June 25th, 2005, 05:12 PM
ICHELLEBEREEL

Default Re: You Might Have Been On Too Many Cruises If......

I feel you!. It's a group I travel along with. We dress up every night. I can't help it if people don't feel like pampering themselves, that their choice, but don't Hate on us because we want to go that extra mile for such a short period of time. I really don't have much time when I'm at home because I working hard everyday. I dress up for Me. We have had many people make comments. I don't care. I'm with you, Dress your best if you feel like you want too, because I do!
Old June 25th, 2005, 05:26 PM
venice

well wearing my tux on the lido deck at the bbq cookout night might be over-doing it just a tad (VBG)...but I agree with your point about dressing up most nights..it just adds to the fun and excitement and romance...I am single and when I started dating my current GF two years ago, I indicated to her that I don't spend alot of money going out to local eating places (unless I have a two for one coupon) and I don't go to bars (which is fine with her), but I save my money and will take her out to dinner for 7 straight nights on a cruise and she likes the fact that she can dress up most evenings..it works because after we can change into comfortable casual clothing but getting dressed for dinner (and not having to look at the prices on the menu makes me feel like a big spender) is exciting

the comments have always been positive, but then again she is a knock out when she dresses which forced me to "upgrade" my cruise warobe
Old June 25th, 2005, 05:36 PM
First Mate

My name is Susan (I am Frank's wife). I wholeheartedly agree with you. We have been on 20 cruises and I truly love to dress up for dinner. Since I haven't bought a new dress for every cruise, I fill in with long skirts and dressy tops. I haven't had any comments, but I do get raised eyebrows sometimes (usually from those who are very dressed down) Years ago, my Mother taught us that you never go wrong if you dress up. It is delightful to know you are out there.

Old June 25th, 2005, 06:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Count me as one who likes to dress up almost every night of a cruise. It's a lot of fun and the dining rooms are usually so elegant, that not dressing up a bit makes me feel kind of out of place. Also, here at home, my office is "business casual" so dressing up makes a cruise seem more special. I have never heard any snide remarks.

Old June 26th, 2005, 07:18 AM
MagnoliaBlossom

Oh, how I like putting on the glitz for formal night. It's as close to a little girl's "dress up party" as you can get. I don't dress dressy every night but I do have another swarm of cruise clothes. I sew incessantly so I have a wrole raft of cruisy fabric nowadays to choose from. I especially like doing wrap skirts and have precious little sweaters and sandals to go with them (and do we even need to talk about costume jewelry, girlfriends?). I have skirts with tropical drinks, with hula girls, maps of the caribbean, with old classic cruiseliners, of course tropical flowers abound, and then . . . well you get the idea. The hardest part for me is narrowing down my evening wardrobe. Of course there's a raft of what my husband calls "flowerdy Hi-wahyan shirts" for daytime wear.
He loves the whole deal and we even have a few (not many, it's just tooo cheesy) matching shirts which we wear for our welcome aboard photos.

He is quite the gambler so he has a whole collection of great shirts made from nice gambling motif fabric. He's never been on a cruise where someone didn't offer him at least $100 for his shirt - gives a whole new meaning to losing your shirt at the blackjack table.

Dressing is fun and the nice thing about my wrap skirts is they roll up and pack down to nothing. Win-win all the way around.
Old June 26th, 2005, 07:53 AM
susancruzs

Personally I'd rather see people dressed up more than on the real casual down side. I don't have alot of formal attire but I do enjoying wearing what I have!

My clothes for smart casual are dressier than what some consider smart casual, I guess. I always have something on for dinner that I would not wear around the ship during the day. I have some long print dresses I'm taking with me on my upcoming cruise and I'll wear them for smart casual. They are so easy to roll up and pack!

It's just my preference, I know others like that is has gotten more casual.

Susie
Old June 26th, 2005, 09:47 AM
Admiral

I don't dress up as in "formal" dress up every night, but I dress nicely every night for dinner in the dining room. No shorts, no jeans, not even capris. Nice dress (sundresses on the less casual side), long pants, dressy tops.

It has nothing to do with which "night" it is for me. I am eating in a restaurant that is 4 or 5 star dining. Linen, china, silver, formally dressed waiters - that all calls for dressing nice.

The same way on land I dress for the restaurant. If I'm going to Chili's I wear jeans and shorts. If I'm going to Papadeux's I wear something nice. If I go to McD's I can wear PJ's thru the drive-thru.... - but I never mistake the three.

Enjoy your cruise wardrobe!!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old June 26th, 2005, 12:55 PM
MagnoliaBlossom

How refreshing to hear from people who like to dress rather than those we hear all too often on the ships - "I paid for this cruise, so I'll wear whatever I darn well please" . Yes, and you pay for the highway too through your taxes but that doesn't give you the right to drive on the left hand side of the road.
Old June 26th, 2005, 02:58 PM
Yeoman

Ok, heres another take on this, you know you have been on too many cruises when your kids want to know where their sign and sail cards are when you check into a hotel, when your youngest can tell you the cruise lines on the horizon by the fantails and finally when your kids play name that cruiseline when the theme music is played on TV commercials and last but not least when the kids would rather cruise than go to Disney!

Caribbean Princess
Old June 27th, 2005, 03:38 AM
venice

amarsh...you are so right on the money..just think you are training the next generation of cruisers..the cruiseline should pay you a kick back
Old June 27th, 2005, 07:45 AM
Admiral

There's no such thing as "too many cruises!"

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old June 28th, 2005, 01:13 PM
sailing gal

Did anyone ever see the shorts permiitted night on New Years Eve? Everyone was casual. Wouldn't you think they would have made that the formal night? I love to dress up too but I did try wearing shorts that night. I heard a lot of loud comments about the casual attire but I couldn't resist trying it once.
K
Old June 28th, 2005, 05:29 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to marvholly

I am one of those luckey people who has been about the same size since I graduated college, 10+/- 1. I have a LARGE collection of dressy/semi dressy clothes in mainly 2 colors after DD bat mitzvahs, weddings, cruises and inherited from my late mother. Most are clasic and NEVER go out of style. I recently suggested I wear the dress my mother wore for my wedding (1969, fits like it was made for me) to my DD wedding in Sept. However, the color is wrong (gold vs silver) so I bought a new dress (ebay $20 inc shipping).