Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 28th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Admiral

Default Diets, Diets , Diets.......

Okay started June 13...so far lost 8 lbs as of this morning. Anybody else on a diet and how are you getting rid of the weight? I am not eating carbs but I have whole organic grains once a day with blueberries. My sugars seem to be going down and I am exercising on my Treadmill. I am eating mostly veggies and little meat. Last night I had a salad with shrimps. What works for you? I like to get some helpful insides.
Kuki are you back on your diet? I know when I quit I regained 40......

Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2
Default Re: Diets, Diets , Diets.......

Hi Sue, I follow Atkins, I like the lifestyle and it seems to work for me. Over the winter when I was not working I was sure I gained. I had only been loosely following the diet at the time. When there was a family gathering the diet went out the window. Once it was over I would go back to a loose form of the diet. I recently had to go in for a pre employment physical. I was surprised and of course pleased to find that I had lost 29 lbs. Of course pleased and encouraged by that I decided to buckle down and have since lost another 8 lbs. I won't be where I want to be come time for my cruise but I will have lost enough to make me feel good.

Laura
Old June 28th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

Sue,
I lost 30 pounds following the meal plan set up for me by the diabetes educators. I'd like to lose another 15 or so but seem to have lost the fire. I'm still following the general outline of the diet but have been cheating probably too much....telling myself it's been stressful times and I deserve it etc but need to get out of that mindset.
I also have to get serious about my walking again. Had been going 3 miles at least 4 or 5 evenings a week but that seems to be down to once or twice a week these days.
Angela Z.
Old June 28th, 2005, 01:43 PM
Admiral

I'm on the seafood diet. I see food and I eat it. <G>

Ed

Norwegian Majesty
Old June 28th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Josie

Default Re: Re: Diets, Diets , Diets.......

I've been doing Weight Watchers since March. I've lost 23 lbs so far. I'm not writing down what I eat and keeping track of my points like I did in the beginning because I can now kinda judge how I am doing without writing anything down. But I notice that I'm not as careful as I once was about what I'm eating.
The reason I choose Weight Watchers is because nothing is off limits. You have to eat in moderation but you can have anything you would like. I don't do well with diets that tell me I can't have something. That makes me want it even more!
Good luck to everyone that is trying to lose weight . It's tough!!!

Josie
Old June 28th, 2005, 02:00 PM
AR

I've tried a bunch of them, but the one that's working for me is South Beach. Lost nearly 50 pounds since New Years (a resolution diet that's stuck). Shooting for another 20--I keep extending the goal as I progress.

My doc says that he thinks South Beach is the one that makes the most sense because you really can adopt it as a lifestyle rather than a diet. He's against Atkins because he says it's simply too much fat, and it "acts" like a diet and not a way of life.
Old June 28th, 2005, 02:20 PM
Admiral

I am down 30 on Weight Watchers since January and need 40 more to reach my goal weight of 184. There is just too much that is problematic about Atkins including the fact that Dear Dr Atkins was way overweight and had significant heart disease when he passed away. I have seen too many people lose their gain rapidly once they leave Atkins. Weight Watchers teaches you a new healthier way of eating. I have had my insulin dosage reduced by nearly 2/3 and the Dr feels that I will be on meds alone before long.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old June 28th, 2005, 02:22 PM
Admiral

I'm on a special diet right now, doctor's orders. So for about two months, I can have no sugar, alcohol, wheat, corn, peanuts, milk, or fruit except lemons and limes. I'm basically eating meat and vegetables. One meal per day I'll let myself eat some whole grains. I've lost 8 pounds in the past few weeks, without exercising, and would like to lose 5 - 10 more.

I've found that if I eat six small meals throughout the day instead of three large ones, I can keep my portions down and not feel hungry all the time.

This is a typical day's meals for me:

7:00 a.m. - protein shake made with sugar-free protein powder, soymilk, and a no-calorie herbal sweetener called stevia
10:00 a.m. - 1 oz. almonds
12:30 p.m. - lunch, usually leftovers; fish and vegetables, or chicken soup, etc.
2:30 p.m. - 1 oz. almonds
4:30 p.m. - 8 oz. plain yogurt, sweetened with stevia
7:00 p.m. - dinner, lots of vegetables and a little meat, and maybe a little brown rice or quinoa or other whole grain.

I also make sure to drink lots of no-calorie beverages. Water with a lemon or lime slice, club soda with lime, and herbal tea.

I do miss my sweets, and eating out is especially challenging since there are so many temptations, but so far I've been very, very good. The fact that I'm doing it for medical reasons and not to lose weight (although the weight loss is a nice side effect) helps me stick to it.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old June 28th, 2005, 02:38 PM
sailing diet

Hi,
I do the cruise diet. Plan a cruise and lose weight for it. Its worked for ten years. The Denise Austin website helps also-Easy to prepare meals with emphasis on the food pyramid. Here's todays menu-
Breakfast
English Muffin (with butter and jam)
Cantaloupe
Lunch
Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich
Celery Sticks and Baby Carrots
Snack
Your snack will be made up of:
1 serving of fruit and 1 serving of milk/yogurt
Dinner
Salsa Chicken
Roasted Potatoes and Mushrooms
Asparagus, steamed
Treat
You may treat yourself twice each week!
Choose your two treats from the
Treat List

Works for me!
Old June 28th, 2005, 02:42 PM
Admiral

See, I can't go without a mid-morning snack and two snacks in the afternoon. My mom has hypoglycemia and her dietician told her to eat small, frequent meals. Not eating often enough actually slows down your metabolism and keeps you from losing weight! Interesting stuff.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old June 28th, 2005, 03:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I am still trying to loose a bit more weight, but am also trying to "level off" my eating habits.

Atkins was great for the quick reward...losing 30 lbs in 6 weeks...but I don't firmly believe it offers the balance for a lifetime of nutrition. Now my goal is to eat "normally" in a manner that will not add weight.

Even on our two week cruise we were able to eat, and not add weight because of our eating choices.

In looking at all the alternatives, I think eating NO sugar is a key. Those great looking pastries, no matter how small, carry LOTS of calories.

Cutting out my full meal -snack between 11 PM and midnight has probably helped as much as cutting out all the carbs etc.

BTW.. Mrs Kuki, since she was doing the cooking for my diet, and as a result eating mostly the same foods, has lost almost 20lbs.

Old June 28th, 2005, 03:39 PM
Passenger

I've lost 30 pounds on Weight Watchers.
Old June 28th, 2005, 03:41 PM
susancruzs

I'm losing weight but not following a structured diet, more or less controlling my portion size. I've lost 18, maybe 20 lbs so far. I'd like to lose at least 7 more maybe 10, I want to weigh what I did when I was 50 (8 years ago)!

I started Curves in November but didn't start dieting until the middle of January. My sister in Iowa said she joined and wanted to lose 50 lbs. so I thought o.k. I'll get serious, too! She's lost 35 lbs, her hubby 50, saw them 2 wks ago and they look great!

My problem was portion size and snacking between meals, at work, etc. I now make healthy choices in Abbott's cafe, no more deserts after lunch, no sweet rolls, no candy bar in the afternoon. Abbott's publishes a menu every day and tells you what choices are heart healthy, calories, etc.

I eat my main meal at work with skim milk, no more soda, and at night I make a salad, with spinach, lettuce, veggies, etc. My eating habits were never horrible, just quantity issues. I have cereal at home in the a.m. and take fruit to work with me to have with milk. Before I'd eat cereal/fruit at home, get to work and have a sweet roll! :-)

I've increased my milk intake because Curves is on a milk kick right now, supposed to help in weight loss. I'm at the age where added milk won't hurt, certainly better than fruit juice or soda pop. I drink lots of water, too! I'm also exercising alot, Curves, ride my bike several miles daily, walking in the evenings.

That's my story, I really wanted to fit into a jump suit dressy outfit I wore in 2002 on the "Get Lei'd" cruise and let me tell you, in January, that wasn't happening! I can now fit in it just fine and even sit down!!! :-) 65 days to go until my Sea Princess cruise!

Susie
Old June 28th, 2005, 04:58 PM
First Mate

It was 3 years this past Feb. that I lost 40# on Weight Watchers and have kept it all off. I chose that program to basically learn how to eat right. I know when one day I've gone a little overboard to watch it the next. I have been on 2 cruises and 1 all-inclusive vacation since losing weight and have never gained. I should say I also walk 2 miles a day. It's tough to lose, so I don't want to gain it back. Congrats to all those who have lost weight and who are trying. Keep with it!!!!
Old June 28th, 2005, 05:28 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Diets, Diets , Diets.......

Congrats to all those who hav elost weight! One thing I also do is drink water , water, water. I quit diet soda over 1 year ago and after a while I got used to it. I try now not to eat after 6pm.
AR I tend to agree with you on Atkins. I am a Atkins fans but I also think we need to watch out for fats. I know Atkins tought the entire world about bad carbs.I know I learned a lot! Key is exercise, portion controll and no snacking! I must say I love Ice Cream and miss it!

Old June 28th, 2005, 07:17 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Diets, Diets , Diets.......

75 lbs gone with atkins....another 50 to go ,,,,,,at 57 I'm the same weight i was in high school ( 255),,,,,,<s>

NCL Boston to Bermuda
Old June 28th, 2005, 09:20 PM
Admiral

Since being diagnosed with diabetes 3 years ago, I have lost 44 pounds, but I have been at a real plateau for a while, and I'm finding the craving for sweets to be impossible to overcome on certain days. The good thing is that there is a large selection of sugar-free candies on the market now, and one or two hard candies to suck on after dinner helps fight that craving a lot. My main goal is to keep my blood sugar down. I am not really "dieting" and weight loss is not my main objective, even though I really have a lot of extra weight to get rid of. The blood sugar is always first and foremost in my mind, and I find that eating in a manner which controls the blood sugar levels leads to losing weight as well.

Old June 28th, 2005, 10:32 PM
Cruisin K and J

You guys . . . ALL courageous dieters! Congratulations!

Judy
Old June 29th, 2005, 12:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Atkins does have a lifetime plan. The book "Atkins for Life" spells it all out. It is for those who have lost their weight and want to keep it off. Atkins Revolution is the first book needed to follow the Atkins diet. It explans how to do it. It also outlines the gradual steps into each phase. I have been loosely following the diet for 2 years now. I have made steady and gradual losses. My Dr was at first worried about the fats and what he thought was a lack of vgetables. He has been monitoring my "numbers" through it all. My cholesterol is good, bad Cholesterol is down and good cholesterol is up. My blood sugar is good. I get plenty of veggies from the list provided for a person on the first phase of Atkins and as I move into other phases I will be adding more variety. Yes if you suddenly stop eating by the plan and go back to old habits you will gain the weight back. This is true with ANY diet. You can never go back to the way you were and expect the weight to stay off. The key is all good things in moderation wether you follow Atkins, South Beach, Weight Watchers, Sugar Busters or whatever diet. As for Dr Atkins being overweight there is much speculation about that and the swelling and fluid from the comatose state at the time of his death. I agree he was a bit overweight for a man of his stature. Dr Phil is grossly overweight but that did not stop him from writing a diet book. Funny but it did not take long for Dr Phils book to drop out of sight. Dr Atkins books are still being sold some 30 years after the first print.

Laura

Post Edited (06-29-05 11:25)
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old June 29th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Happy Camper

All of you should be congratulated for loosing weight!!! Whatever diet it is - or rather a life style change because that is what it needs to be to keep the weight off - the fact that you are doing it says so much!!! My father in law whom I love dearly just will not change his eating at all and he now has congestive heart failure, diabetes, blockage of the heart etc. I worry about him as he has been in and out of hte hospital and feel so sad for the health problems that are hurting his way of life when he should be healthy. Please stay with the life style changes for your health - it is soo important and I so wish my father in law would if not for himself then for all of us who love him... It is very hard to keep a life style with lower weight but it is so worth it. I look at food and gain weight so to keep a small stature I have to eat lots of vegitables and very very little sweets. You really come to love vegitables and lower fat meats like chicken breast and fish when you eat them more often and change your mind set - my father in law doesn't belive me but I have been working on my hubby for 16 years now and he eats so much better!!! He actually likes good food and craves it now so life style works!! Actually it is so much fun for us to get together and try different recipes together and cook and we have fianlly found out how to do fish without that fishy smell and taste - he has always not liked that... Have FUN with your new life styles and keep looking in the mirror and seeing how wonderful that new life style looks on you and how much better you feel... I'm there too - watching whatever goes in my mouth... One thing that keeps my hubby going is an active life style - loves to scuba dive, travel (cruise), water ski - just getting back into that with a used boat, walking, camping, riding bikes - anything to stay active. My father in law just feels really depressed when he thinks of all the things he can not do anymore just becuase he loves to eat pork fat and white bread and drink soda and no veggitables or water... Is food really worth your life?? Debbie
Old June 29th, 2005, 06:55 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to Marguerite

I am always on a diet and am sooooo sick of it!!!! I will lose only if I starve myself!!! Just not fair!! I try telling myself that I am 56 yrs old now, not a kid anymore so who cares??? I do, I guess! My friends get mad cuz they say I am thin, when your clothes are getting tight gotta do something about it!!!
Marg
Old June 30th, 2005, 11:47 AM
Happy Camper

Marg - I hear that too about being thin but I always go up 7-10 pounds and loose it and back up again. It was a lot easier when I had a cruise every 6 months so I had to stay thin to get in a bathing suit - now once a year it is harder to loose before the cruise. Jut because you are thin doesn't mean it is any easier to loose or maintain... I'm always on a diet too but I need to just change my lifestyle I guess and just not eat all those horrible things I have ocasionally but I have to splurge a little!! Debbie