Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 30th, 2005, 08:35 AM
Admiral

Default Is anyone a "life long friend"?

Morning all:

Have a question for you. I couldn't help but to notice how friendly most of you are to each other. Some seem to have known each other a long time. That had me wondering how many of you are good friends. So here the question:

How many of you, because of these boards,OR better yet a cruise, have met someone, and have become life-long friends since. Now I'm not talking about just friendly, but true blue friendship. Someone you see long after the cruise.

I noticed a lot of chats begin in rollcalls with people or couples that are meeting for the first time and I was curious how often people keep in touch after a cruise.

So, share your story!

TBug
(first time cruiser and new to these boards)
Sponsored Links
Old June 30th, 2005, 08:44 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Is anyone a "life long friend"?

We have made two different couples on vacations, one on a cruise and one on a land vacation. They have become some of our very best friends. We see them regularly and talk on the phone often, eventhough in both cases they live some distance away.
Old June 30th, 2005, 08:54 AM
Admiral

I have not met anyone on this board, yet I feel like I know them all so well, and consider them friends. I have also met some nice people on cruises who we still correspond with. As for "life-long" friends, I am one, and I have two, 1 since Gr. 5, and 1 since High School. We are all turning 50 this summer, and planning a Girl's Get Together to celebrate. Would love to do a cruise with them, but that's not gonna happen. We'll just probably float around on an air mattress in my one friend's backyard pool!

donna

Old June 30th, 2005, 09:16 AM
Admiral

Chuck, that is really cool. How nice! That's what I'm talking about.

Donna, I'm surprised you have not met these folks. You talk as if you had. You must have been around these boards for awhile. I have a lot of "OLD" friends too. We tease each other about the old part. (we're really not that old) My one friend is a month older than I, and I don't let her forget that!

TBug

(can't wait for my first cruise)
Old June 30th, 2005, 09:19 AM
Admiral

I have made quite a few. One in particular is "weluv2cruz" Linda & Phil. Linda and I are more like very close sisters since we met. It was instant friendship. She even calls my dad "pop" and she is included in all "family" email. You know, the kind where you need to let family know where you are going, or if something is happening....you just send certain things to family only. Dad always includes Linda and Phil in all those emails. It is a friendship I never counted on and am blessed by the love and kindness that I found in them. Linda's father died a few years ago, and my dad was able to be there for her as her "proxy dad" (as Linda calls him). When my dad went through a tragedy a few years ago, me and my sister went up to see him, and Linda and Phil flew up there to be with him too. I have never known anyone like them and we are blessed!

We have made several other friends including Mgram, Toto, Deb, Ingrid, Christy, Diane, Loren & Debe, John, April and numerous others. We are in contact daily through email or phone calls. We get together on occasion for Land Trips etc.

Old June 30th, 2005, 09:46 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Having "worked" on CruiseMates (and another cruise web site before that) since 1996 I've been fortunate to end up meeting many of our readers, and other cruisers on cruises over the years. And indeed, have made MANY lifelong friends.

Heck 6 years ago we had a celebration, and 20 or so of them flew up to help us celebrate!

When we do the CruiseMates Group cruises they are set up with "making friends" in mind. And I know lots of people who have sailed on them remain very close to people they bonded with on the cruises. We've got a number of people who are now booked on their 9th and 10th CruiseMates group cruises because of the comraderie created by these situations.

But, the REAL key to everyone at CruiseMates appearing as though they have known each other forever is that we are made of GREAT people, and we are INCLUSIVE rather exclusive.

New folks are always WELCOME to join the CM community. We accept and embrace the diversity of people, and understand the need to accept all kinds of variances in human opinions and natures.

All these things make me VERY proud of my involvement with CruiseMates, and all the people who hang their antlers here each day <G>

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old June 30th, 2005, 10:08 AM
Admiral

Before our last cruise I started a roll on the Carnivale boards. There turned out to be about 6or 8 of us that met for the sail-a-way and we shared some time together on board and on some excursions. We have kept up with one or two since then by email and hope to run into them again someday. I personally feel like I have made some very good cyber friends on these boards and someday hope they become very real. I think we have a very good chat board and it really resembles a family. When one of us hurt, then we all hurt. I dont think you will find a more friendly, more caring bunch of people on the internet. And that is my 2 cents worth. BTW: Welcome on board and dont be shy.

Old June 30th, 2005, 10:09 AM
Admiral

Proud to have been a staff member here at Cruisemates almost since it's inception and even more proud to have made many lifelong friends here and from another web site. Have met and still travel frequently with people from all across the US and Canada and am looking forward to meeting many more in the near future.

Half the fun of cruising for me in particular is having the opportunity to meet all of the great people we talk to thru the technology of the internet. It's always nice to be able to put faces to the names we see every day. Tbug someday perhaps we will all get to meet you and be able to count you as one of our long time friends. Join us on a Cruisemates cruise sometime in the future and you will see how very friendly everyone is.

Carnival Glory
Old June 30th, 2005, 10:21 AM
Admiral

Kuki:

Those are very nice words. I can not tell how glad I am to hear that. I have had the impression that your group is inclusive. As I've said, I'm very new to cruising and in fact have never spoke on a chat board before this one. Everyone has been very helpful to me anytime i've had a question, and I've had many. Sometimes it been a little intimidating thinking that you have all known each other for so long.

It's nice to hear the stories of people bonding still. Face it, it's a cruel world out there. These stories are nice to hear instead of all the stuff on the news. Keep that attutude CM.

Thanks,
Tbug
Old June 30th, 2005, 10:21 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

That was nice Kuki. When I bought our tickets to cruise the last week of May, i had no one to turn to for info. I had all I could get from Carnival,and TA, but i felt like i needed more. I think I was going back into carnival and hit the wrong button, and this site popped up. I am shy at first, so i didn't ask questions, I just read what others had written. At 2:00 the next morning, I was still sitting here. I remember typing my first question, feeling like a nut for asking, and getting a real person to respond. It was the best feeling, to have someone understand. Once people found out that my husband had just returned from Iraq, they send all kinds of best wishes. We ended up printing them, as a keepsake, and a reminder of the people and their love. Before our cruise, I spent many hours on here, and during our cruise, i would think, Now I need to remember this to tell the board. Once we got back home, I couldn't wait to get back on and tell everyone about my trip. Now I fell like all of you are my friends. It is nice to talk with so many people at once. Our trip was great, and we hope to do another one, one of these day, but meeting all you was even better.

Luanne
Old June 30th, 2005, 10:26 AM
Admiral

bigjohn461 and Tweety:

Thank you so much! Thank you for the welcome!

P.S. It took me a few weeks to work the nerve to post this. I'm working on the shyness part!

TBug
Old June 30th, 2005, 10:30 AM
Admiral

Luanne:

Yes, you have become the little celebrity. I didn't catch any of your post till you got back. You have been helpful as well. Thanks!

Tbug
Old June 30th, 2005, 11:43 AM
Passenger

Kuki:

You response was a pleasure to read. I first started looking at this site prior to
our first cruise about 18 months ago. We are leaving next month for our third
cruise and thank all of you for the great information and ideas(trip insurance/
priceline/shore excursions/hotels/transfers) that have helped so much. We are
looking forward to a CM group cruise that will work into our schedule !

Thanks again....BillR
Old June 30th, 2005, 01:08 PM
Admiral

I've met a few of the Cruisemates gang on cruises, and I consider the folks who come here and post as my extended family.

I had a very ominous diagnosis with cancer last year, and I was overwhelmed by the wonderful caring supportive things people did for me from this site. Just having people include me in their prayers was a blessing beyond measure.

It's a great site for information and making wonderful friends. It's always great to have new folks jump on board and start sharing too. Welcome to the group, and don't feel like you can't post and be a part of all this even if you don't have a cruise on the books.

Phyll

Old June 30th, 2005, 01:43 PM
Admiral

We have met and made friends with many people we have met here at cruisemates as well as those on cruiseships BUT, none of them are life-long yet! I am still alive and intend on staying that way. <VBG> I also hav e no doubt that the friends we have made here will remain friends until the day we do die. I would always be cautious of people that you meet on the Internet but those here at Cruisemates are some of the most wonderful people you will find on earth. Welcome to our 'family'.
Jim

Old June 30th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

I've met several of the 'mates at luncheons here in Orlando and feel as if I know a lot more just from the boards. I love the feeling of family that is here and really appreciate everyone reading ("listening to") my whining and venting over family situations last year.
Welcome to our new posters....you'll love it here!
Angela Z.

Old June 30th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Admiral

One or two are OK... The rest of us, you must be careful of!
Its always good to see new people that want to be a part of our family... inspite of me...
WELCOME

and laughing is contagious,
here’s hoping for an epidemic!
Old June 30th, 2005, 02:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Since I do not float to other boards, I am not sure, but , I think what we have here, on this great site, does not apply to others....The feeling of family is really and truly an amazing thing. Like Phyl, I have fought cancer, and the spirit of kindness from these wondeful people have helped me so very much, and it comes from the heart. I know I speak for all of us and say, "don't be shy, post often, share the good, the bad, and the ugly, and you too will feel, what we feel." Oh, and we ALL, will be over for supper

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 30th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Tbug,
I met some of these wonderful people at another site and then when Cruisemates started, we just continued to chat/post and even cruise together. I hope sometime in the future you can join a Cruisemates cruise, besides some of the extras we get, along with some good pricing, you can meet some really great people and keep in touch through the Cruisemates message boards and visit the nightly chat.. It is very much like an extended family for a lot of us and the plus is when we can set a date and cruise together, its so much more enjoyable going on a cruise with a group of people even if just meeting for the first time.

Its good to see you posting and, please, stop in the chat and say "hi" when you can.

Welcome to Cruisemates!

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 30th, 2005, 08:43 PM
Admiral

I've only met one person from the CM board - and quite by accident - I just happened to find myself standing behind our very own Thomas on my first cruise and had been talking with him (and others) on the boards for several months prior to my cruise.

I really, really, really want to do a CM cruise and hope the scheduling works out one day.

Welcome to the boards. I *have* visited other boards and there is nothing quite like CM. These are the friendliest bunch of people I think I've ever met.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old June 30th, 2005, 10:41 PM
Administrator
Admiral

OK,
In 1999 I decided to take a cruise in February of 2000. Just like most people who come to these boards I came to find out about, formal nights, what to do in the ports, what to pack,etc. I asked many of the standard newbie questions. (BTW: I notice that many of the "old timers" asked those same questions when they first started, so newbies don't feel bad.) However an interesting thing happened; I met some wonderful people.

In the course of the five plus years I've been involved with this site I have been fortunate enough to have found a number of TRUE friends. Not just people who I trade posts with about my next cruise or even just share a joke with but people I consider part of my extended family and people that I care about and I know that they care about me. This is not just staff but also people I have met on the boards and on the cruises I have been on.

I also hung around the place so much that they put me to work. I even tried to resign once because of health issues and they wouldn't let me. They just asked me to do what I could to help out. That's quite nice of them.

So yes, I have met a number of great people through these boards and many of them I have the great privilege of calling "friend".

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 1st, 2005, 12:33 AM
Admiral

Met lots of nice ordinary people on our 9 cruises to date. A few people e-mailed once or twice...... nothing ever came of it. We were like ships that passed in the night.

Now I don't bother with "meet on board". Most people are too into their own lives, or too busy, or just indifferent...... politely exchanging addresses or e-mails with no intention of ever following up.

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old July 1st, 2005, 02:42 AM
Admiral

I took a singles cruise this April, I meet a great group of people. Most of us still e mail each other and I hope to see them again. It is so nice to come home from work and find e mails from my new friends. Some of us gals write long personal letters, others write just to say hello hope your doing well. I bonded closely with at least 3 other ladies, one was my cabin mate from California who was a complete stranger when we met, one lives in Canada, and one in Flordia. While most of our ship board romances with men we me,t didn't last Im grateful I met some new girl friends, who I consider dear friends and hope we stay that way.

As for this web site it is the best. I have some people who e mail me from it, the people here are so much more polite and respectful then other sites where cyber stalker hang out and just seem to lurk, looking to disagree and verbally challenge anyone who posts a message. I hope in the future to take a Cruisemates group cruise, and meet some of the people who are on line from this site. The staff is very helpful and so are the people who visit. I have only cruised twice so far but I can't wait to do it again and again. Im kicking myself for not doing it sooner. There is nothing like being out to sea with the wind in your hair, the stars in the sky, the moonlight, and just the sound of the ship on the water, none of the city noises we are so used to hearing. It's really the way to travel!
Old July 1st, 2005, 07:56 AM
Admiral

Wow, I'm overwhelmed. I truely started this thread because I knew it would invite some wonderful stories. I wanted to know if all these months of chats ever amounted to anything for you all, or if when you met on board its more like Cruise Cynics post. I never thought it would turn into a thread of warm welcomes as it did. I guess, that in its self says it all. Each and every post was well thought out and heartfelt. There truely is a difference with this site than others, and those who come here often, can see it.

Like most of you, I came to this site to get info after my husband surprised me with the news that he booked a cruise! I was horrified that he may have screwed it up, because I am one to research things to death. He just got on the internet, with no help from a TA and started clicking. Scary huh? After poking around here and asking some questions, I found out he did a pretty good job. After all, who wouldn't be thrilled about a cruise, let alone a surprise. He knew I needed a lift after the death of my father this year. We have away's owned a boat and are currently in remission from a boaters disease called "twofootitis". Meanwhile our love for all things nautical brought us to thinking about a cruise and well, here we are.

Again, thank you for all your welcomes and introductions. I look forward to chatting and perhaps someday meeting some of you. I'm already thinking about the next one, before I've even made it to the first! Most of my posts are on "Triumph-NYC-Sept 10" with a poster named Maraprince who has been helping me prepare for this cruise.

Oh yeah, and Trip, about that dinner! Um, well...How many of you?

TBug

Triumph
Old July 1st, 2005, 10:14 AM
First Mate

Location: Near Liz's favourite home, Windsor Castle, Berkshire, U.K.
Default Re: Re: Is anyone a "life long friend"?

aaah Dear Cruisecynic,

We have had such a different experience. We now have lots of friends who reside in all parts of the U.S. and yes, we met THEM ALL on different cruises.

Next year, we are going on the new NCL Jewel end January and it is being organised by our lovely friends Lin and Ruben who live in Chicago. Also joining us will be our other great friends, Tammy and Curly who live in Minnesotta and they are going to meet Lin & Ruben (who are practically neighbours) as they have heard so much about them.

Both Lin & Ruben and tammy & Curly have also visited England as our guests and we have become true lifelong friends from just meeting on cruises.

Also last and certainly not least, a real mention of Julie and David who we met on the Inspiration back in 1998 - such good friends they came to our blessing in the Guards Chapel in 2000 and we have been back to visit them in Arizona three times now.

Also off to visit both Chicago and Minnesotta next summer and Julie & David are coming over to us Nov. this year so we are all staying in touch even though we all met at different times and places.

Regards,
KG