Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 3rd, 2005, 08:55 PM
AR

Default A wonderful 36 hours

On Thursday, our #2 son who's in the ad business in New York sent me an IM saying that he'd gotten hold of two good seats at Wrigley Field for the Nats/Cubs game yesterday (Saturday). He said he had to be here in Washington on Friday anyway, so what did I think of the idea of the two of us flying to Chicago for the game.

I told him I thought it was a great idea, so yesterday morning we set out for the airport, flew to Chicago, got on the el and went directly to Wrigleyville. We arrived two hours before game time and went up to the roof of the CubbyBear bar for a beer and a nice lunch. Then across the street to the game and watched the Nats beat the Cubs 4-2 in what is still one of the three greatest ballparks ever built--a true field of dreams.

Then back on the el up to Evanston, where I'd booked a room using some frequent-stayer points. I went to school at Northwestern, ahem, a number of years ago, so after a shower we took a nice walk at dusk around South Campus there (where there are so many memories for me) and over to the lake. Then on to a nice steakhouse for dinner.

Just as we finished dinner, an old college gal-pal who still lives in Chicago returned my cell phone call. Of course she could be free for brunch this morning, so after sleeping in and grabbing some coffee--and after saying goodbye to my son who was catching a morning flight back to New York--it was back downtown to meet my friend Trudy at a wonderful new cafe adjacent to the brand new and gorgeous Millennium Park. We don't see each other nearly often enough, and we lingered for hours on the terrace over a chicken wrap and a Bloody Mary, then walked around the park for a couple hours.

She drove me to O'Hare, where I caught the 5:30 back to Washington National. While I waited at the gate, I listened to today's Nats/Cubs game on the radio. While I was on the jetway boarding the plane, the Nats pulled out another victory, 5-4, in the 12th.

Due to favorable winds, we did the trip in 90 minutes gate-to-gate and landed a half hour early at National where my wife met me, and we were home by 8:30.

And the holiday weekend isn't even over!!

A really wonderful 36 hours.
Sponsored Links
Old July 3rd, 2005, 09:08 PM
Admiral

Default Re: A wonderful 36 hours

Don't you just love it when everything goes right for a change? Once in awhile, we all deserve a weekend like that!

donna

Old July 4th, 2005, 12:14 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

AR - it sounds like a wonderful day!

Old July 4th, 2005, 06:01 AM
Jen Young

It sounds like it was just a wonderful time!

VTJen