Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 6th, 2005, 01:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker
Default TS Dennis

The latest word on Dennis;
15.4 N 71.5 W wind 60-75 mph
heading wnw at 13 mph
in the path of Jamaica, Haiti, Dom. republic.
Watch this one Florida !!

Sponsored Links
Old July 6th, 2005, 01:55 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: TS Dennis

At its current projected path it will make landfall approximately in the same area where Ivan came ashore last September. The damage to the Panhandle area from Gulf Shores, Al to and around Pensacola, Florida was enormous. I visited this area about three weeks ago and there is still enormous damage between Orange Beach, AL and Pensacola, FL. On the Florida side there is still huge piles of trash which has yet to be cleaned up ( it was fairly well cleaned up on the Alabama side ). I attribute this lack of clean up to the fact that Florida had to deal with four storms last season and Alabama had to deal with one so apparently cleanup money has been stretched too thin in Florida.
This is an absolutely gorgeous area of the country for you folks who have never visited that suffered catastrophic damage from Ivan and the last thing they need is another hurricane to score a bullseye ...
When Ivan rolled up through Alabama last September it left over one million homes without power which took some time to restore.
The projected path is very omnibous !!
Old July 6th, 2005, 02:36 PM
chyna_c

Believe me we are watching carefully! yuck!
Old July 6th, 2005, 04:49 PM
Yeoman

Us too! Boards are coming out of storage tomorrow. DH is taking tomorrow off to get ready. Even if it doesn't make landfall near us, we still feel the effects. Have to make Walmart run
Anne

Caribbean Princess
Old July 6th, 2005, 06:25 PM
Admiral

Feel sorry for the folks in Louisiana. At least, not an issue for Florida peninsula.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old July 6th, 2005, 06:26 PM
Admiral

Also Ala did not get nearly hit as hard as Florida did with Ivan. Dennis has just been upgraded to hurricane status and Jamacia is going to take a direct hit it seems. I can imagine that the Caymens will also get brushed but at least is it a minimal one at this point. Cuba if it hits the western part will also help to disrupte it some. Unfortunately the Gulf is pretty warm so conditions are right for strenghtening. It does look like the Panhandle again but it still bears watching to be sure of where it will hit.
Jim

Old July 6th, 2005, 06:36 PM
Yeoman

Marc:
Curious why you are worried about Louisiana. The latest projected path is a direct hit on Mobile Bay....
Old July 6th, 2005, 09:11 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Cruzdiver

Watching the local weather in Tampa this evening Dick Fletcher said the gulf temp for 91 degrees. he commented that this way the highest he had ever seen it.

Legend of the Seas November 12th 2005
Enchantment of the seas June 21, 2004

<a href='http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb008_ZNxdm117YY
Old July 7th, 2005, 09:24 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: TS Dennis

I am worried too. WE still have houses with blue tarps from last years mess. Port Charlotte still looks like a construction zone in many areas. We bought our new house with Hurricane shutters but they are made out of steel and the house will be once again dark again. last year after Charlie we left them on forever because other Hurricanes came afterwards. I am glad I cancelled the Glory cruise. I knew not to leave my house alone during Hurricane season.
We shall see what will happen this year...

Old July 7th, 2005, 12:43 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to Chyna

The latest track I saw had it hitting close to New Orleans, that is why I would be very concerned for Lousiana...BUT something to keep in mind this storms are large enough that if they do hit 200 miles west of Florida a good deal of Florida still gets the wind and rain squalls....so everyone in the Gulf be careful!