Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 10th, 2005, 02:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Twas a rip off.....

Yesterday we went down to see friends in Cape Cod. We went to a flea market, walked Mashpee Commons, and had a wonderful time together..We went for lunch in Baxters, in Hyannis,and ate by the water, so wonderful... BUT, the ONE thing that bugs me, is how much over what you should have to pay for lunch, in any resort area, such as this..I had a fried clamstrip plate... for $14.95!! I would have been happy if it had at least been good, and the portion was amazingly small... back home it would have been around $9.00...now I know red tide here has been a problem of late, but my girl friends clam plate, with bellys was soooooo small...... & get this...it was $22.00 ! Yikes....again, a teeny tiny portion, and not the best!
If you cannot get a good fried clam at the Cape, its a sad day, indeed. I think we just picked the wrong restaurant Oh well, I got that off my chest..Best thing was the day with our old pals!!
Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2005, 02:36 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Twas a rip off.....

Oh, Boy---hope those prices come down before I get there, Trip. There are some good seafood restaruants right by the canal in Sandwich, and one that has always been great is Cookes. Try one of those next time. I'll do a seafood restaurant critic tour when I get out there in August. :-)
From what I've heard Baxter's is no longer the great place that it used to be in the old days when I lived there.

Phyll

Old July 10th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Admiral

Now I don't feel so bad about paying $11.00 the other night for my frog legs and catfish..oh yeah and one stuffed crab (which was very good).

Old July 10th, 2005, 03:28 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Trip:

I guess you were paying for the sizzle and not the steak. <VBG> Many establishments, even though they may have high overhead, take advantage of their locations and push crap out of their kitchens. I personally find this very offensive. You need to charge more for your product so at least make your customer feel like they are getting value for their money.

I know that in a tourist or "high rent" area I am going to pay more but I still expect to have a quality meal.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 10th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Mike, I so agree..if it had been good, and the portion at least ,a decent size, I would not have cared one bit...Phyl, you will be our Phantom Gourmet Cape Food Critic...BJ, even at $11.00, for this portion, it was a crime;(
Old July 10th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Twas a rip off.....

There is a hidden "gem" of a restaurant in Cape Cod...known by the locals. The food is seafood and it is outstanding. I forgot the name but boy do they have good food<and priced right>

Old July 10th, 2005, 05:12 PM
First Mate

Paying high prices seems to be the norm these days especially near the ocean!! Big John really got a DEAL getting all that for $11.00 <G> Will check with Big John while DW and I are back in AR later on this month for a visit.

Old July 10th, 2005, 07:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

WELCOME HOME TRIP
Old July 10th, 2005, 08:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Trip.. You should have offered to help them with any computer problems they might have in exchange for the lunch tab <G>

Old July 10th, 2005, 09:11 PM
susancruzs

Restaurant prices are an experience but that sounds totally insane! At least the company was great, seeing friends!

The Chicago area has some pretty crazy pricing, too! I go out with my cousin once a month and we pay alot for dinner, but man, 22.00 for lunch, I thought entrees at night over 22.00 were high!

Susie
Old July 11th, 2005, 09:12 AM
Admiral

Doesn't beat the 1 bottle of Evian water in our NY hotel with a price of $12.00 on it!!!! We were ever afraid to touch it, then went to the local drug store & bought *2* 1-1/2 liter bottles of water for $1.50!!!

Seems they're looking for that sucker!!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old July 11th, 2005, 06:51 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to Marguerite

My mom lives on the Cape and we stay away in the summer, prices on everything goes way up! We go the last week of Sept & first week of Oct, crowds gone & the prices go down! Chapin's restaurant on the 6A side in Dennis, excellent & really reasonable!
Marg