Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 13th, 2005, 05:06 PM
Admiral

Default That damn ice scoop!!!

We were inspected at the restaurant yesterday and the only demerit we got was the ice scoop left in the ice bin in the bar. If it wasn't for that we'd have scored 100. But the problem is one inspector says it needs to stay in the ice bin and another inspector says it needs to stay in it's own container outside of the ice bin. Good grief! I wish they'd make up their mind.

As a side note: This was the first inspection we've had in 8 months. We usually get inspected every 4 months or less. I was talking with the inspector and he said the cut backs in the department meant less inspectors to cover more area and therefore less inspections.

For all those out there who vote for less taxes this is a result of your voting. Personally, I want the inspector coming every month if I could have it. It's another set of eyes looking at my operation and helping to keep my customers safe from food contamination. Sometimes we are so busy with operating the business it's good to have somebody trained to do nothing but look for possible problems helping. But everybody wants lower taxes so the people in Florida are now eating at restaurants that are inspected less than twice per year.

I have to brag about one thing though. In 10 years of serving customers we've never had one complaint of a sickness. Now complaints about the owner are normal!

Regards,
Thomas
Sponsored Links
Old July 13th, 2005, 05:23 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: That damn ice scoop!!!

Thomas,
If that's all you got hit for that is something to be very proud of!!! I remember when we almost got shut down because someone mislabeled something with the wrong year. <VBG>

Congrats on the score and I agree that more inspections are better than fewer inspections.

Take care,
Mike(Who has seen some great kitchens and some sewers)

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 13th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

Congratulations Thomas on a great inspection. I inspected restaurants for 3 years forever ago back when the health dept. still did the inspections. I never really understood why we "lost" restaurant inspections to DBPR and I stayed at the health dept. when the big break up occurred.
I used to tell managers that the scoop needs to be out of the ice so it doesn't get buried in the ice, so that nobody has to dig through the ice to get to it.
It's scary that inspections aren't quarterly anymore.
Angela Z.
p.s. when I saw your topic I knew exactly what you were going to say....at least your can opener was clean!

Old July 13th, 2005, 06:04 PM
First Mate

Thomas, Congrads on your health inspection. In your mind you received 100% and it's typical that two inspectors have differnt views on how things are to be done. Typical MO for those guys and because of their job.......they have to nit pick sometimes!!!

Good job!

Old July 13th, 2005, 06:10 PM
Admiral

Congrats Thomas. Will have to come up your way some day and see your restaurant.

Carnival Glory
Old July 13th, 2005, 06:16 PM
Admiral

Same thing when we were having construction work done on our house...one inspector would come out and tell us that something else needed to be done...when asked why the previous inspector didn't tell us that, the answer was "Well, he's not as experienced!" Give me a break, I was SO tired of seeing inspectors, I told them "no wonder people do illegal construction work!" I mean, such imcompetance, good grief!

Nice that it's all done now, tho!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old July 13th, 2005, 06:35 PM
Admiral

Congrats Thomas. I wish you would call or e-mail me and let me know what the name of your place is so that we can dine there some night.
Jim

Old July 13th, 2005, 06:40 PM
Admiral

Congratulations Thomas. Wish your restaurant was a few hundred miles further south. I know it'd be on one of our favorite lists if it was. Maybe one day we'll get up there to eat too before you retire completely.

Phyll

Old July 13th, 2005, 09:33 PM
Emptynesters

What you need is a trained ice scoop. One that will jump from container to ice bin at a moments notice!

Congrats on the great scores though!
Old July 13th, 2005, 10:36 PM
Admiral

Angela,

It's my opinion that the ice scoop handle needs to be free of contamination since the bartenders are grabbing the handle to fill glasses with ice. This makes perfect sense to me. Contamination in the ice is a sure fire way of infecting the entire public if the bartender were to have the flu. This inspector said the ice scoop needs to be in it's own container outside of the ice bin so that the entire ice bin was not contaminated. The last inspector said the ice scoop needs to be in the ice bin because at the frigid temperatures of the ice bin no viruses can survive, or propogate.

Go figure,

Regards,
Thomas
Old July 13th, 2005, 10:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

Timely post, Thomas. We had an inspection today - restaurant, bar, kitchen, basement, storage area, snack shack, beverage cart, special events tent - all the things that make a golf club run smoothly and feed hundreds a day.

Everyone did a bit of scurrying as soon as they saw me with him, but we came out with flying colors. Of course, they only show up either at the peak of a crazy lunch, during a golf tournament or a wedding in the tent, but we always ace every inspection.

And, yes, the entire scoop needs to be out of the ice bin - at least in Michigan.

Congrats to you for your results! And so to bed - another weekend of madness coming up!

I NEED A CRUISE!!!!
Old July 13th, 2005, 11:06 PM
Admiral

They inspect restaurants in Florida????

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old July 14th, 2005, 06:46 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: That damn ice scoop!!!

In germany anyone who works with food has to get a clean bill of health from the health department every six month. This way if a worker is ill or has a bug it is cought! This should be done in every place on the planet.

Old July 14th, 2005, 07:13 PM
susancruzs

Congrats, Thomas, that's something to be proud of! I'd think the ice scoop outside the container would make more sense, too!

Susie