CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   How Far In Advance Do You Book Your Shore Tours? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/273674-how-far-advance-do-you-book-your-shore-tours.html)

BUDDY July 16th, 2005 08:16 PM

How Far In Advance Do You Book Your Shore Tours?

Hi:

RCCL requires your credit card information to take your advance shore tour reservations. When we went on Princess to Alaska, two years ago, they took the reservations but didn't charge you until you got onboard. RCCL charges your credit card the minute you book your tours. I just booked ours for two months from now, but I don't understand why they charge your credit card way ahead of time, instead of when you get on board, like Princess and NCL? I didn't want to be shut out of the shore tours I wanted, but I sure don't like the way they do it.

How far in advance do you book your shore tours?

Happy Crusing.....Buddy

AR July 16th, 2005 10:57 PM

Re: How Far In Advance Do You Book Your Shore Tours?

Never book anything until we get on board, no matter what the line.

Jeanne&Ellis July 17th, 2005 07:27 AM

We usually do book our tours online and only after final payment is made.

AR July 17th, 2005 09:07 AM

Re: Re: How Far In Advance Do You Book Your Shore Tours?

I think I should have been more specific with my reply.

We never book any ship's tours until we are on board (and we often don't book any then either). But we sometimes do book the services of independent tour companies (like Red October in Russia), or taxi/limo services in advance. We also research what sort of services (local public transportation, intercity trains, hop-on-hop off busses, etc.) may be available at various ports and make our plans accordingly.

Of course we understand that in the Caribbean you're often stuck with ship's tours because there's very little else available. We're averse to tour busses and try to avoid them (and the cruise lines' ever-expanding markups) whenever possible.

There's a very interesting article in Friday's Wall Street Journal if you can get hold of it, or check it out online. It's about the trend toward longer port stops and more elaborate shore excursions. It has some fascinating stats in it. The print title is "New in Cruises? Less Cruising."

susancruzs July 17th, 2005 09:16 AM

I book in advance sometimes but I do not like the way RCI does it. Seems to me the way Princess does it makes more sense, less of a problem in case things change.

I booked in advance for my cruise in Sept. I think it's kind of a hook that they say limited availability but they got me anyway! :-) Reading about Vigo, Spain not much there so I decided to do a tour.

In the Caribbean, I book ahead of time for the snorkeling/catamaran or anything of an active nature, 4 wheelin', rafting, etc. because I do think those sell out!

Susie

Cruisin K and J July 17th, 2005 10:16 AM

We always book online as soon as the cruiseline allows us.

Judy

venice July 17th, 2005 10:36 AM

Even with the option of booking shore execusions in advance of boarding the ship, I still prefer to wait until we are actually onboard

KimJack July 17th, 2005 10:32 PM

For our Baltic cruise on NCL's Dream last year, we booked our St. Petersburg tour with Red October and all our other tours on line with NCL. When we boarded in Dover, we soon learned that the ship had no record of our booked excursions! So we re-booked on the ship and everything turned out OK. But on our Caribbean cruises we usually wait until we're on board before booking any excursions. It just seems to work out better in the long run, and we've never had a problem getting the tours we wanted. We have never been required to pay for our tours in advance, on any cruise line.

Jack

Post Edited (07-17-05 22:35)