Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 17th, 2005, 01:37 PM
venice

Default when cruising isn't fun

I was chatting with one of my best friends today, trying to convince her to come on a cruise with me in november. she is my all time favorite cruising buddy and we have not been on a cruise together in about 15 years (we were both single then). we were laughing because she was telling me the story of her last cruise with her now ex husband about 10 years ago which was a living hell because they had a did not get along (he hated cruising plus he was a true jerk) and how small a huge ship is when you are not getting along with your cruising partner and we were commenting about the recent stories in the news about spouses being reported missing on cruise ships..my friend wonders if there is a correlation between not getting along and missing ?

have you ever gone on a cruise with a person that you could not stand, or had a big fight with and were not speaking (or doing anything else with for a week) and what did you do to avoid them for 7 days and nights ?
Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Re: when cruising isn't fun

Well, I've only cruised with hubby or 37 years so for us, that has not happened, but how about having a confrontation or argument with another cruiser? This happened to me:

It was sail a way time, and of course everyone was trying to find space by the rail, so my hubby and I mosied over to an open 2 feet or so in front of some empty loungers. When I heard someone complain I was standing in front of her chaise. Now SHE was at the rail, not laying on the chair trying to see between bodies, so I was trying to understand, what she complaining about, and I didn't..It was kind ot that sort of moment, when you jaw drops,and I figured, Boy, this woman is NOT going to have a fun cruise....I knew I was!!..The poor person, who takes he chaise by the pool...Lordy!

Post Edited (07-17-05 15:09)

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 17th, 2005, 01:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

I did a 4-nighter with Art's sister's boyfriend -- longest 4 days of my life. He took forever to eat dinner (to the point that he was the last one in teh dining room), was always forgetting something, and when in Ensenada, slept till 4:30 in the afternoon.

This was the cruise I learned you can't travel with just anyone.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old July 17th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Admiral

I have only cruised with my hubby, and/or one or both of my kids, so all was well. I can imagine though, if you were sharing a cabin, and a dining table, for a week with someone you didn't get along with, it could be He**!!

donna

Old July 17th, 2005, 03:04 PM
First Mate

HUH? Surely you know how you feel about someone before you plan a cruise or any kind of vacation with them!!!!!!!!!! I'd never travel with someone I didn't know well.

Table mates are something else - good reason for selecting a table for 8 or 10 - sure to be at least one couple you can relate to - or make it just for two.
Old July 17th, 2005, 03:05 PM
Admiral

The lovely Mrs. Jones & I went on a cruise on our honeymoon. We fought almost the entire trip, but since then have cruised 50 or 60 times, and have gotten along just fine ever since. (20 years ago). Anyway, there was no place to go to get away from her, or for her to avoid me, and it was a somewhat "uncomfortable" cruise. It matters not....... All's well that ends well...
Happy sailing,
Ken
Old July 17th, 2005, 03:12 PM
Jeanne&Ellis

Silly me thought that having my (lonely single) sister along on a cruise with Ellis and I would be fun for her. Won't go into the whole thing, but needless to say she has never cruised with us again. How can 2 women be from the same mother and be soooo different. ;^ )) Poor Ellis he gambled a lot that cruise, to leave the cabin empty for her, but on a good note he also won enough money for our next cruise!
Old July 17th, 2005, 05:46 PM
Captain

My beyond perfect husband and I have a good time stuck in traffic so, no, of our 23 cruises they've all been delightful. However - - - we were on a big Post Office group cruise a few years back on the Conquest and there was this couple (ya' know how there's one in every crowd?) who were incredible. These people belonged on Jerry Springer! They began fighting before we tossed off the first line. The first night it was so bad that the head of security had to come to their cabin and threaten to put her in the brig. The second day they made up and spent some obscene amount of money on jewelry. The third day she got mad and faked throwing the jewels overboard (he was too drunk to see her drop them down her cleavage). The forth night she called her mama from onboard and talked for 45 minutes at 9.95/minute. The fifth day he found out that he could check his onboard account on his cabin TV. After having seen the cost of the day four phone call he spent the rest of the cruise with his mouth stuck to a beer tap. Now it's even funnier when you think that in anticipation of this cruise she had her teeth straightened and got new boobs.

One would think they got off the boat and went straight to divorce court. Nope, two years later and they're still fighting as happily as ever. Go figure.

the only good thing was that while we were a part of the same group we never really saw these folks. Unless it was intentional, which one of our little crowd had to do every day just to get the latest installment of the soap opera.

Thank you, Lord, for a blessed marriage.
Old July 17th, 2005, 11:24 PM
CruzinK&J

Keith and I have had spats on trips but nothing earth shaking. With his health problems now, it's a different situation. He does some things that are embarassing, so we stay home, so far, except for restaurants and shopping trips. Sometimes, we have to go home. But we love each other very much and have a long-term marriage, so we just hope that things will get better.

Judy
Old July 18th, 2005, 04:11 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Once while I was standing in line at the Pursers desk I overheard a conversation between a passenger and the Purser. The woman was complaining about the couple in the next room fighting all night. Screaming and objects hitting the walls. She was demanding a room change. Later in the day I was in a lounge and a woman was there sitting alone in the corner. She was covered in fresh bruises and had cuts everywhere, Her lip and eyes were swollen.It was obvious that she had been beaten. I was stunned and wished I could help this woman. I wondered then if she was the woman the other woman was complaining about. How sad that anyone has to suffer like that.

Laura

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old July 18th, 2005, 04:51 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

On my first cruise I roomed with 2 ladies. Jeanne was a great friend. The other, Jenny was a woman I knew from work. After the first day it became obvious that Jenny wanted to get real friendly with the crew. She went her own way and did her own thing while at sea. The night before our stop at St. Thomas Jenny stayed out until 4:00 am. Jeanne and I were up bright and early to go into Charlotte Amalie for shopping. Jenny wanted to sleep so we let her and off we went. We got back and woke Jenny for our Kon Tiki tour and went to have lunch. On the Kon Tiki Jenny was angry and barely spoke to us. That evening back on the ship she again went her way. She came in very late. I was awake but facing the wall. I could hear her doing things. Jeanne came out of the bathroom where she had been getting ready for bed. Jean noticed that her purse was missing and got upset. She was sure she had it when she came in the room. She wanted a cigarette and asked me for one. I smoked back then. I opened my tote to get her one and there was her purse, in my tote. I realized what Jenny had been doing in an instant. She had put the tote there to make Jeanne think I had stolen it. All of her money was there. Fortunately Jeanne knew me well and knew I would never steal her purse. If I had I certainly would never have opened the bag right in front of her. It turned out that Jenny was mad because Jeanne went to town with me. She had expected Jeanne to sit in the room and wait for her to wake up. The next year we had another group cruising and I made sure I was not rooming with her again.

Laura

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old July 18th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Cruise Maniac

On all our vacations and cruises my husband and I have gotten along wonderfully. He's a saint. BUT on a cruise ship tour when we were engaged I treated him pretty badly (the ship we were booked on for our honeymoon). It was pouring down rain with sheets of water running down the decks and off the decks--and he kept taking pictures, which got on my every last nerve because I wanted to him to pay attenion to me, me, me. There was a lot of pouting and I threatened to throw the camera in the ocean. He even got a picture of it. Which is funny to us now. We laugh every time we happen to run across it. He never even got mad back (which of course made me even madder!), but just kept saying how glad we would be some day that we had the photos. And he was right--not always but definitely that time.

Gigi
Old July 18th, 2005, 11:45 AM
DENISE H

our frist cruise was with my inlaws lets put his why i would nevr cruise with them again but i learn alot and i book cruise for me and my mom it was my mom frist cruise
she love it and we had a grest time were already booked for next cruise next fall
Old July 19th, 2005, 08:52 AM
Happy Camper

We went on a cruise and another couple we had met on a previous cruise also took the cruise with us. When we booked the cruise I told them that we would be scuba diving at every port. They said they still wanted to come and we would get together at night and the at sea day. OK. Well by the second day they didnt' like that we weren't spending every waking minute with them and we ended up in a fight in Barbadoes. They stormed off back to the boat and we toured Barbadoes with another couple. Well that led to a fight at dinner that we didn't follow after them back to the ship but did a tour anyway. Everything blew up and hubby was mad at me for not "keeping my mouth shut". So hubby and I had a fight and we were both so glad to get back from that cruise and get to work away from each other it was incredible!! Work was better than a cruise in that instant!! Well to make it up we took another cruise just the two of us 4 months later and had a blast and have realised that we travel very well with each other but not with other couples. Would love to find another couple that would not have to be attached to us every waking minute and have to have us do only what they want to do. But that hasnt' happened so we travel alone. Did try one other time - another couple invited themselves along on a cruise we were already booked for since they were new to cruising and we weren't. Well OK. Told them what happened before - and they laughed and said "not us". Well I guess 1500 people on a boat you don't know and first time cruising you do tend to attach to the only ones you know. Only took about 2 days and they were mad we were not watching football with them - like we are going to do that - not our style expecially on a cruise..... Luckaly we found another couple and introduced them and they got along and took off together!! Debbie.