Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 18th, 2005, 08:53 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Flip Flop Debate!

I had heard a tidbit about this yesterday. On the Today show, they had some college age women atheletes, who were invited to the White House, to meet the President. They went shopping for an outfit and these girlds both ended up in sundresses, and flip flops, as did others. NOT the 99 cent ones from Walmart, but cute ones. They were dressed age appropriate. NOW, the question comes in, were they dressed appropriately, for THIS occaision?

The girls defended their decision, as did the team coach, and the Moms. One Mom said" she was thrilled her skirt was the appropriate, length, she never noticed the flip flops." The fashion maven, the show brought in, said for this occaision, a closed shoe would have been the appropriate choice.

They looked absolutely adorable, well groomed and carried themselves amazingly well, on tv. I worked in a boutique, where we sold this look all day long, but I have to admit, I think, a cute little slide or slingback, would have been a better choice.

These girls are auctioning off the "offending footwear" to raise money for a ten year old girl who supported their team, she has a brain tumor. How great is this!!!

This is ceratinly NOT an earth shattering topic, considering what's going on in the world, and I am sure a man could care less.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old July 18th, 2005, 09:10 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Flip Flop Debate!

Good question Trip. I for one CANNOT wear a shoe with a heel. Maybe my feet are made funny, but I just can't handle heels, and most closed shoes. I ALWAYS look for flat shoes, and even slip-ons are hard to keep on my feet. So this new trend in "fancy flip-flops" (ie: beaded, sequined, rainbow of colours) is right up my alley. I would not hesitate to wear a fancy flip-flop with a dressy dress, even on formal night. Another choice would be those colourful sequined "Chinese slippers". I do not believe one has to suffer incredible pain in their feet to be "fashionable". That is my humble opinion.

donna

Old July 18th, 2005, 09:14 AM
Admiral

I have lived in Chinese slippers since I got back from Florida...I have a rainbow collection

Old July 18th, 2005, 09:31 AM
Admiral

I think on this occasion, meeting the distinguished leader of an entire country, calls for better attire than casual wear. The entire outfit ought to be formal, or nearly formal.

Regards,
Thomas
Old July 18th, 2005, 09:38 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

For this occasion I, too, would've voted for dressier shoes. I understand the flip flops though....daughter wore a very cute sequined pair to graduation (remember, this is Florida). My biggest problem with the flip flops is the kids wanting to wear them when it's cold....not often here.
Angela Z.

Old July 18th, 2005, 10:19 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I also saw it trip, and the girls looked good. Thomas, i think you misunderstood the event. It was an afternoon get together. In the picture, I didn't even focus on the flip flops until they highlighted them. My vote is they looked fine. Alls well that ends well.

Luanne

Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old July 18th, 2005, 10:40 AM
Cruise Maniac

How funny! And I love that it was one of the young women's BROTHERS who brought the subject up! And a lot of their moms were leaving messages on their machines when they saw their flops. I just looked up the article--the girls all looked wonderful in their sundresses and the la crosse team made the point that the softball team came in khaki shorts and sneakers while they all went and got lovely outfits to wear. Flip-flops must just be news. Even on the make-over shows they are going after the flip-flops. Although, to be honest, if my daughter got invited to the White House for some kind of honor and wore flip-flops I would leave a message on her machine, too! The president didn't seem to mind, and the girls all seem to think it was funny, which it is.

I'm thinking of wearing a pretty pair of blue, beaded flip-flops on the next formal night.

Gigi
Old July 18th, 2005, 12:33 PM
Admiral

I have to agree with Thomas (meeting the distinguished leader of an entire country, calls for better attire than casual wear.)

I think flip flops have become too common. I remember when Proms, Homecoming, etc were so formal. I see now, that flip flops are acceptable. I think certain occasions require a more "formal" shoe. Flip flops are deffinately casual.....even the sequined ones. Even those with problems (unable to wear heels, etc) can find plenty of flat formal (comfy) shoes. It is the leader of our nation and especially if meeting in the White House, that would call for a business attire which would not include flip flops. Only my opinion. I just think those are for VERY casual wear. Not work, Not the ballet, Not the Whitehouse, not anywhere that business attire or formal wear would be expected.

Old July 18th, 2005, 12:35 PM
BoosterMom

In the South, we wear flip flops year round. The college kids LIVE in them. My girls sororities sell them year round! I have several sequinned pair and always get compliments on them, although I would not wear them to a wedding or black tie event, ALTHOUGH I have seen them on women (not young girls mind you) at both! After having two foot surgeries in the last 10 years, I will wear what is comfortable to me and hope that I can find appropriate "dress" shoes as the event deems necessary.............formal night on the cruise ship.......I'll pull out my sequinned flip flops and just hope the maitre d doesn't throw me out!
Old July 18th, 2005, 01:03 PM
venice

Did they present President Bush with a pair of flip-flops ? Now that would have been great because he would have signed them so they could put them on e-bay to raise alot of money for the young lady with the tumor

I think how we view this incident is more a matter of age and upbringing..I am by no means a fan of President Bush, but if I were invited to the White House, I would be dressed in my best sunday go to church clothes, because I was raised to respect the position, not the person in the position. However, I noticed that people today go to sunday church in shorts and no one seems to mind, so it's not a stretch to wear nice flip flops to the white house..I'm sure the president didn't mind because it deflect people's attention away from the rove affair
Old July 18th, 2005, 01:31 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to CZodda

Venice, you've got a great idea there!

I think doing that would have been great. It would have been a big help for the girl who has the tumor.

As far as dressing to meet the President; while I am not a huge fan of Bush, I do think that meeting the President of the United States, be he Republican, Democrat or whatever, calls for a more formal attire than what they were wearing. Just my opinion of course. I know that casual is more in style these days, and I'm usually all for comfort myself - just not to meet the President.

Have a great day all,

Cathy

Old July 18th, 2005, 04:35 PM
Admiral

I have to agree that no matter who sits in the White House or any of the other branches of government, this type footwear is not proper attire for that hallowed home nor would it be for the Capitol or Judicial Buildings.
Jim

Old July 18th, 2005, 07:02 PM
Admiral

Flip flops were not, IMHO, appropriate attire for meeting the president - fan or not.

We have certainly gone to a more casual society and I think this best illustrates just how far.

But one a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being nuclear war, this is probably only a 1 1/2.....

dorothy

CarnivalSensation February 2015
Carnival Dream November 2015

Carnival Fascination April 2014
Carnival Elation March 2011
Carnival Imagination Sept 2007
Carnival Sensation Dec 2006
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 2006
Carnival Miracle Sept 2005
Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2004
Old July 18th, 2005, 07:32 PM
First Mate

Sometimes that is the trouble, we judge on what people wear, etc. than the true person they truly are. Sad! But how do I buy a pair of the flip flops??? My son died of a brain tumor and I would love to support this cause!! Way to go girls, and all my love to you!!!!
Old July 18th, 2005, 07:55 PM
Admiral

Personally, I don't think that flip flops are appropriate footwear for meeting the President. That said, it probably has to do with my age. If I were a college age girl (I vaugely remember being one!) I'd probably have a totally different opinion.

Donna & Trip,

What are Chinese Slippers? Where do you buy them? Are they actually "slippers" or do you wear them when you go out? I've never heard of them, but they sound comfortable. Thanks.

And, Dorothy, on your scale I'd put this at .05

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old July 18th, 2005, 08:14 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to CZodda

Hi Fern,

Chinese slippers really are slippers, but people have taken to wearing them as regular footwear. I see them all over NYC where I live.

As far as to buying them, I would imagine you could find them at your local mall - they're a pretty hot fashion accessory.

I'm afraid I'm spoiled...I live in Chinatown and they are available on practically every street corner here - and at unbelievable prices you probably won't find in a store. They come in all sorts of colors...let's see there's black of course, I've seen orange and red and green and yellow...goodness every color you can imagine. And they usually have some sort of beading on them. Try them, I think you'll love them!

Cathy
Old July 18th, 2005, 08:55 PM
Admiral

Go to Ebay and enter CHINESE SLIPPERS....They are very inexpensive,,I paid $3.00 a pair in some places...On Ebay, you can buy bulk for like $15.00.For me they ran true to size..Email me if you want more info ...good luck!

Old July 18th, 2005, 10:34 PM
Admiral

Chinese slippers are slip on, very comfortable slipper/shoes. They have a flat, spongey sole, much like a flip-flop, but the toes are closed with a sort of mesh covered with beads and sequins, often in a flower pattern. They come in every colour imaginable - I have 4 pairs! Most comfortable, and very pretty.

donna

Old July 19th, 2005, 08:17 PM
Admiral

Thanks everyone! I'll be checking these out. My feet hurt in most shoes and these sound sooo comfortable!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old July 21st, 2005, 12:57 AM
Admiral

I think a closed shoe would be more appropriate, however,,,,,frankly,,,,,I could care less.
See you aboard,
Ken