Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 18th, 2005, 04:46 PM
Admiral

Default Hey Jason!

Didn't respond to your post. oops.
Too cool !! That's a BIG small block. Did you have to sleeve it? Is it naturally aspirated or did you add NOS?
Good to see someone else who prefers the chevy motor!!
We are looking at putting a 468 in the Nova. I bought John a Bowtie Block and it would just LOVE a 468. The cam (now) has a 672 lift with 1.6 rockers.....not sure what we will do with the bigger motor, but options are deffinately open! But we always run natural, No juice, no blower. Now in the roadster, I think a blower would look GREAT!
Enjoy your TOY!!!

======================
Re: 54 years old, and adopting…Imagine that!
Author: Jason (---.miatflad.covad.net)
Date: 07-15-05 14:39

Carole, It is a Rat Rod with a Chevy 350 small block bored out to 406.

Sea Yaaa,

Old July 18th, 2005, 09:36 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Hey Jason!

...and for those of us who speak English?...... <VBG>

donna

Old July 19th, 2005, 07:54 AM
Admiral

sorry, it's a second language (actually a third) for me.

Naturally aspirated means an engine that does not feature forced induction. Forced induction literally forces air into an engine at a greater rate, which allows the engine to burn more fuel and create more power. A supercharger or turbocharger typically is used to provide forced induction. Most people consider Nitrous (NOS) forced induction.
Blower is slang for supercharger or turbocharger which is a product that forces additional air into an engine so it can burn more fuel and produce more power. Superchargers (aka blowers) often are used by automakers to make a small engine feel like a much bigger engine while maintaining good fuel economy figures, since the supercharger does not produce boost during normal around-town driving or highway cruising. The supercharger only produces boost when the accelerator is pressed to the floor for acceleration from a stop or for quick and easy passing.

Nitrous (NOS) (Usually incorrectly used as a word- it is just N.O.S. - kids have seen a movie(don't recall the name) and now refer to it as nos (pronounced like BOSS). This is a running joke with diehard racers who would NEVER use it as a word. NOS is Nitrous Oxide System, a gas that is used in a nitrous system, which allows an engine to burn more fuel and produce more power. Also known as squeeze or laughing gas. Nitrous oxide also is used as an anesthetic, and medical grade nitrous can be run in an engine; however, automotive grade nitrous contains sulfur, which will burn a person's lungs if inhaled.

Sleeves? Sometimes a special sleeve is used to eliminate core shift in the block.. Once installed, they can be bored like a standard engine block and actually strengthens your block.

A BowTie Block is recommended for maximum effort competition engines. The Bowtie block is a heavy duty cast block made by GM strictly for racing use and not in production vehicles. All bowties are made with siamese cylinders in order to run a bigger bore.

Old July 19th, 2005, 09:25 AM
Admiral

RollerD..what she said was..He has a "double overhead cam, lick jam five, with 5 and a 4 with a deep reduction slide."..piece of cake...>VBG<

Old July 19th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Admiral

BigJohn, that just might earn you a ride in the ChevyII - !!!!

Old July 19th, 2005, 12:45 PM
Admiral

*WINK*

Old July 19th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Hey Jason!

I think the movie you're referring to is The Fast and the Furious. Now every punk with a Honda soups it up with N.O.S. and thinks they're the baddest thing on the road. <rolling eyes>

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old July 19th, 2005, 05:05 PM
Admiral

I think if I could figure out a way to pump some of that N.O.S. up my N-O-S-E..I might would fell like a punky B.O.S.S........................................... ..Big Ol Sexy Sr. *OKAY I am going to my room now*

Old July 19th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Admiral

Michelle, you are so right. Drives me crazy to see all those little wannabe racers adding wings to their tiny little cars and adding 4 inch exhaust so they sound like irate bumble bees. Too funny. The N.O.S. thing will make most racers around him bust out in a big laugh when kids say NOS (like boss).

You know bigjohn, that just might work!

Old July 20th, 2005, 08:00 AM
Admiral

Carole,
Sorry I wasn’t able to answer yesterday…Big brother was watching…Anyway,
The motor is a Chevy 400 cubic inch small block. The block is a early 70's with four bolt main bearings for strength. The block has been align bored, decked and bored
.060 which brings the cubic inches up to about 406 The pistons are forged and
have Moly rings. The whole rotating assembly has been balanced. The heads
are Brodex aluminum and they bring the compression ratio to about 9.5 to 1.
The camshaft is from Competition Cams and is designed to work with the Howell computer. It also has a special PROM chip in the computer. The motor has large injectors which are suited to the 406 cubic inches. The horsepower is probably around 400. No NOS needed!
The transmission is a Chevy TH 350 . It does have a shift kit. The torque
converter is called Saturday Night Special. Its stall speed is about 400 over stock.

Translated to all others, “This thing will really scoot”…

Post Edited (07-20-05 08:06)
and laughing is contagious,
here’s hoping for an epidemic!
Old July 20th, 2005, 08:50 AM
Admiral

Jason, that thing will not only Scoot, but is very streetable with 9.5 comp. Sounds like you built it right!! Love those Brodix Alum Heads! Fabulous combo and great paint. You combo sounds just right for a street rod with speed too. Gotta love gearheads! Would love to see it in person!

Ours is a 350 punched .60 over on a Tunnel Ram with two 660 Holley's mounted sideways. The cam is an Isky roller 280 lift/550 duration running 13:1 compression with 114 octane, C12 racing fuel. Obviously, this is not streetable. The rear end came out of a Vega Funny Car - Dana 60 with 5:13 gears and a Detroit Locker. Suspension is the typical Four Link. Transmission is a Powerglide with Magnum 8" converter with a 4500 stall and Transbrake. Heads are 202/a60 port and matched to the intake. There are tons of other things including the MSD 7AL2, line lock, wilwood vented/slotted rotors, crank trigger, 12 point cage,..............

Tires are 18.5" M&H Racemasters. The car is preloaded. With John in it, the car weighs 2628 lbs. We cutout as much as we could, but the doors, hood, front bumper and fenders are all steel. If we went to Glass on these, the car wouldn't weigh anything at all. 99% of the car was built in our garage by John and I, and a few friends. The tubs were done in Spring, Texas and the driveshaft was special made in Houston but installed by us. Even the engine was built right here in the garage. The old paint was removed here in the driveway using airplane stripper........it was sanded, primered and powdercoated here then sent to a paintbooth for the final paint. 7 coats on each color and 3 coats of clear with flex agent so it wont crack when the car torques. The flags are airbrushed by hand. We are very proud of this car. It took 3 years to get where it is, so I know what you have put into yours.

ok that's enough. You know more about this car than any racer around here does. . We all try and keep our combinations safe.

Old July 20th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Admiral

Carole,
Your Nova is way out of my league. She looks sweet. Can't even imagine your ¼ time and speed. You all are serious… I’d be embarrassed to pull up to the tree with you in the other lane!
When I grow-up I wanna be like you guys.<G>

and laughing is contagious,
here’s hoping for an epidemic!
Old July 20th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Admiral

Jason, this is a racecar! Our roadster is like yours (or will be - it's being rebuilt from the ground up). I admire your car. I can only see ours in pieces right now while the work is being done.

1/4 time is mid 10's with no nitrous, blower, etc. Speed is about 120. This is all given with weather, humidity, etc. oh, and that is on street tires (BIG street tires, but treaded street tires none the less.). We are putting on the slicks now.

Your car is perfect for daily driving and beautiful sunny days!! Our roadster is a convertable, so we are going to enjoy that too. Should be complete within two years.