CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   What Are Your Words to Live By??? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/273705-what-your-words-live.html)

Happy Camper July 19th, 2005 09:44 AM

What Are Your Words to Live By???

Cheryl wrote:

"Happiness will never come to those who fail to appreciate what they already have."

on the bottom of her post. This got me thinking... What words do you live by?? I really like this quote and could use many more to look at to pick me up through the day till my next cruise where I can raise a glass to everyone again... :) :) One of my favorites is:

Work like you don't need the money,
Love like you've never been hurt,
and Dance like no one's watching....

What are yours???? Debbie

venice July 19th, 2005 09:47 AM

Re: What Are Your Words to Live By???

be careful what you ask for

God is good all the time

life is to short to waste time on negative energy

bigjohn461 July 19th, 2005 09:50 AM

I guess it would be..."Dont't worry..God is in control" and "What goes around will come around"

Dorothy July 19th, 2005 10:12 AM

Life's too short to be unhappy - so drop all the negative energy - don't sweat the small stuff.

Karma will get you - treat others fairly and with kindness.

dorothy

Trip July 19th, 2005 10:12 AM

Don't spit in the wind...& Never say never

Paul B July 19th, 2005 10:24 AM

People in grass houses shouldn't light matches.

Live and let live and you'll live longer.

Luanne Russo July 19th, 2005 10:50 AM

Act like a good friend at all times, you never know when someone will come along and need one.

Luanne

tango55 July 19th, 2005 11:14 AM

Life is not about counting the years,
but making the years count!

MaryLou July 19th, 2005 11:19 AM

From the Tim McGraw song, "live like you were dieing"
and "Life is uncertain, eat dessert first!"

Mgram July 19th, 2005 11:27 AM

Gonna spend it all........why leave it for the kids to fight over?

rollerdonna July 19th, 2005 11:36 AM

Debbie, I like your's too, but this one has been hanging in my house for years, and applies to my children, as well as the many children I have taught over the years:

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove - but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child"

I have made laminated copies of this many times over the years for special teachers, coaches or counsellors who have touched my childrens' lives in a positive way.

donna

venice July 19th, 2005 11:44 AM

some more

you don't find out who your real friends are until you are in trouble or down on your luck

what you do in the dark will always come out in the light

and my all time favorite that my Dad taught me and I passed on to my son;

never do anything that would bring shame to your mother

BrendaS July 19th, 2005 11:53 AM

"Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional."

http://www.cruise-forums.com/gallery.../thumb2165.jpg
Reading up
http://www.cruisemates.com/countdown...=11&hour=16:00 Norwegian Dawn-12/11/2005

Happy Camper July 19th, 2005 12:13 PM

These are wonderful! Many I have heard and forgotten - thank you all - I'm going to write them all down. Some days I need to read as many as possible! :) :) Donna - I had heard that one and it is very good and very true! Luanne - I wondered what yours was since you are always so positive! :)

Paul B - yours hit the nail on the head for me today. "Live and Let Live". I need to remember this one! Today I got to work and the lady that has been parking beside me for the last few days in the parking garage whom I saw yesterday as she was pulling out and smiled at was parked in my spot. I have parked in that spot for 3 years! So I wanted to find her and ask her why she thinks she is so good? But then I thought well maybe there is a reason - like that is going to be a bad spot now for some reason and so it is good I move. I know it sounds petty but sometimes the small stuff does get to me. :) "Live and Let Live". Debbie

Luanne Russo July 19th, 2005 12:24 PM

Donna, I have that one on my wall, in the bathroom. When it is mid school year, and a student very seriously ask me how it was when i was little and Lincoln was president, I like to read it to myself, and smile, and go back any try again.

venice July 19th, 2005 12:39 PM

how you treat your parents when they get old, will be a good indicator of how your children will treat you when you get old, because we all follow by example

PapaBill July 19th, 2005 12:50 PM

My father's advice on appearance for work. " you may not always know what you are doing, but you can always look like you do".
More wisdom from my father. (as a point of reference one must know my Mom was 5 ft tall, 100 lbs and physically handicapped). "If you do something wrong, don't worry about the police, the judge, the principal , the teacher . Worry about having to face your mother".
No strings attached, qualifications, excuses made ever. The following words will always be true for my daughters. "Daddy loves you". For my Grandchildren. "Papa loves you". Nothing can ever be done or said that will change those two statements. Those are the words I live by.

Angela Z. July 19th, 2005 01:38 PM

"Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving" Thank you Auntie Mame.
And, "this ain't no dress rehearsal".
Angela Z.

MagnoliaBlossom July 19th, 2005 01:41 PM

I have several I guess,

The life you live is the lesson you teach.

Praise the Lord anyhow.

Life is 10% how you make it and 90% how you take it.

My mother's favorite: It's better to laugh than cry.

Trip July 19th, 2005 01:51 PM

Another one I wished for my daughter at her wedding, was from a song...
I HOPE YOU DANCE!

Post Edited (07-19-05 13:52)

Trip July 19th, 2005 01:56 PM

Re: Re: What Are Your Words to Live By???

Another one I have said since I have had my bouts with cancer is...
[b] Better, Rather Than Bitter

Happy Camper July 19th, 2005 02:06 PM

Life is 10% how you make it and 90% how you take it.

Better, Rather Than Bitter

All are wonderful - thank you guys so much - love the two above too.. My problem stems sometimes to wanting other people to know when they make me unhappy instead of letting it all go by and not worrying about it. Soemtimes it is good to have a big mouth and others it is better to turn around and go your own way - I'm learning. Something from the book "How to Stop Worrying and Start Living" by Dale Carnegie is to "live in day tight compartments" and that helps too - instead of worrying about tomorrow I need to concentrate on today only and let tomorrow come as it may. Anything can be handled on a day to day basis but the problems of yesterday and the worries of tomorrow will break anyone in one huge load.. :) Debbie

Happy Camper July 19th, 2005 02:22 PM

? Happiness will never come to those who fail to appreciate what they already have.
? Be careful what you ask for
? God is good all the time
? Life is to short to waste time on negative energy
? Don't worry..God is in control
? What goes around will come around
? Life's too short to be unhappy - so drop all the negative energy - don't sweat the small stuff.
? Karma will get you - treat others fairly and with kindness.
? Don't spit in the wind...& Never say never
? People in grass houses shouldn't light matches.
? Live and let live and you'll live longer.
? Act like a good friend at all times, you never know when someone will come along and need one
? Life is not about counting the years, but making the years count!
? Live like you were dieing
? Life is uncertain, eat dessert first!
? Gonna spend it all........why leave it for the kids to fight over?
? A hundred years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove - but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child.
? You don't find out who your real friends are until you are in trouble or down on your luck.
? What you do in the dark will always come out in the light
? Never do anything that would bring shame to your mother
? Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
? How you treat your parents when they get old, will be a good indicator of how your children will treat you when you get old, because we all follow by example.
? You may not always know what you are doing, but you can always look like you do.
? If you do something wrong, don't worry about the police, the judge, the principal , the teacher . Worry about having to face your mother.
? No strings attached, qualifications, excuses made ever. Daddy loves you. For my Grandchildren. "Papa loves you".
? Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving.
? This ain't no dress rehearsal.
? The life you live is the lesson you teach.
? Praise the Lord anyhow.
? Life is 10% how you make it and 90% how you take it.
? It's better to laugh than cry.
? I HOPE YOU DANCE!
? Better, Rather Than Bitter

I Made a listing of all of them - thank you all so much! Debbie

salem5050 July 19th, 2005 02:36 PM

Bet you never heard this one:
It is what my mom would say to me when I was little and would ask for something that was very very unreasonable.

"Spit in one hand and wish in the other see what you get first"......hahaha I use it with my kids....

Mary Margaret

AR July 19th, 2005 02:42 PM

Mine is. . .

Always listen first.

And the corollary, from Sondheim's "Into the Woods," which is so true. . .

Careful the things you say. Children will listen.

Happy Camper July 19th, 2005 03:17 PM

Mary Margaret - so funny - I have heard that a long time ago!!! My mom was from the deep south. :) Debbie

KimJack July 19th, 2005 04:15 PM

I still recall the words of The Serenity Prayer, and try to live by them as best I can. It goes something like this:

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference."

Jack

Kuki July 19th, 2005 04:42 PM

- Sometimes you're the bug, Sometimes you're the windshield

- Anger will just make you mad

- Always remember (and repeat often) the key phrase... Yes Honey, you're right! I'm wrong! I'm sorry!

BrendaS July 19th, 2005 05:14 PM

I was just thinking of Johnny Carosn reading some well known sayings that had been given to some kids, but they only had the first part and they had to write what they thought the rest was. Most of them had me in tears, but the only one I can remember is:

Don't count your chicks...........

one child's finish was ----> Or they'll peck your lips off!

BW July 19th, 2005 06:23 PM

Remember the Golden Rule: ''He who has the gold rules''.

Bill