Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 22nd, 2005, 06:55 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to marvholly
Default Haven't Traveled in Years

A fruiend and I are booked on the NCL Jewel 11/27/05. She has not cruised/traveled since 2000. She has no clue the post 9/11 security changes it airports or cruise terminals. She DOES NOT believe me with my air/cruise experiences 12/01, 11/02, 6/03 or 3/04. I just may end up being alone in the cabin.
Sponsored Links
Old July 22nd, 2005, 07:47 PM
venice

Default Re: Haven't Traveled in Years

can your travel agent or another friend of both of yours that has traveled since 911 explain the process ? or perhaps you can take her to the airport a few weeks in advance and do a field trip..does she have her passport ?

i'm sure you'll figure out a way, because you don't want her to experience the frustration of being that close to going on a cruise and then having a problem

if you are planning to get to the port the day before, that might help because it gives you some cushion time in case there is a problem
Old July 22nd, 2005, 07:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Is she afraid to fly? If not, I don't understand her misgivings..waiting, security etc is JUST the way it is, and, and you just deal with it..Is it an inconvenience, yes but a VERY needed one.
Old July 23rd, 2005, 08:00 AM
Admiral

That's OK, Holly. By the time you two get to O'Hare, it'll be too late for her to turn back.<G> And except for her having to take off her shoes and extra-long lines, it probably won't be that much different than her pre-9/11 experiences. See you on board!

Jack

Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old July 23rd, 2005, 05:02 PM
Passenger

someone on the boards a few years ago said to check your boarding pass and if it has 4 S's in a row printed on it you will be pulled aside for a security check. We traveled shortly after that and my mother in law did get the 4 S's and was checked. This may help give your friend a little for warning.
Old July 24th, 2005, 09:53 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to marvholly

I am beginning to get thru to her. Guess I will just have to keep pounding away. I know the airports are a mess and she does somewhat realize this. We are flying into FLL for the MIA crusie. I want to get Carnival transfers since we are flying cruise morning and the bus gets thru port security MUCH faster but she wants to take public transport since it is sooo much cheaper.

I am just a bit afraid the newer hassles wil sour her on crusing and color her entire attitude for the whole trip.

Jack: I did not realize you were on the same cruise. Have you made any tour/excursion plans? Pearl wants to do both Dunns river falls and river tubing. I set up a private excursion in Jamaica to my specifications for my roll call 3/04 and will probably contact the same outfit this trip. We are unsure about Gr. Cay as she is not into the Sting Rays. Neither of us have been to Roatan so I just might do ship excursion here but I have NEVER been happy w/ ship excursions.
Old July 25th, 2005, 10:35 AM
Admiral

Try to get the earliest morning flight out, we have found that if you are on an early flight, you can pretty much flow thru security fairly easily. We got to the airport even before the security people, we were first in line and it was a snap. It might have something to do with the agents being fresh for the day. Flying into Ft. Lauderdale airport is a breeze! Since you have to get to Miami, the cruise lines transfers are probably your best bet, you do have other options, i don't know if the shuttle is still running. If public transportation is available bewteen these two cities, don't even consider it. What are you going to do with your luggage? YOu would have to wait for the bus, haul your bags onto the bus, then where would you stow them for the ride? Its about a 45 minute ride to Miami with good traffic. Another point to bring up to your friend is that if you take the cruise line transfer and you get stuck in traffic or whatever, they will hold the ship until your shuttle arrives, if you take any other form of transportation and you are delayed you could be waving the ship goodbye.
Travel insurance is a must, not just for trip cancellation/interruption but for medical reasons, your regular medical insurance usually doesn't cover you out of the country, and it definatley doesn't cover medical evacuation ($$$$$$)
Another thing about security for us ladies is - do not wear an underwire bra, it can set -off the scanners.
Passports are another whole issue, does she have one? If not, make her get one, immigration is much more of a hassle than airport security if you don't have a passport.
Things have changed regarding security post 911, that is a fact of life that your friend needs to realize - it applies to all aspects of travel, not just cruising. Is it a bit of a hassle, a bit inconvenient, sure it is, but it is necessary.