Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 23rd, 2005, 11:40 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo
Default Cruising over Christmas

My Mind works In strange ways, and waking up this morning, was no different. We are booking a cruise on Monday, that will leave Galveston on Dec. 18th and arrive back at Galveston on the 25th. Suddenly I realized that this won't be a normal Christmas. Before you say, I should book the day after Christmas, we can't. We have a small window of travel, thanks to the Army and the kids school, and prices go way up the next week. The reason I am asking, is what is it like to cruise at Christmas time. My kids are to old for Santa Claus, but if he has a daughter, they would take note. Will the ship be decorated? Will we know that it is Christmas on the ship. What about Galveston on Christmas day. Will anything be open? If you have some info, please let me know.

Thanks,

Luanne

Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Sponsored Links
Old July 23rd, 2005, 01:49 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Cruising over Christmas

Luanne...
I would venture to say almost NOTHING will be open Christmas Day ! I would imagine the ship would be decorated the month of December ? I would bet Christmas Eve would be fun, I dont know if it would be any more SPECIAL than any other night in the dining... but hey... you are not cooking or cleaning ! Of course it will be fun !

Is your hubby still gonna be home then ? When does he ship out ? Have you already booked ? How old r your kids ? When is their school break ? Is this y'alls first cruise ?
I keep looking @ cruises out of Galveston as its a reasonable distance for us... but I really want to go on the CM cruises....

ahhh, to dream !

Steph
Old July 23rd, 2005, 02:39 PM
Admiral

Hi Steph,

We will be staying in Galveston for the night, so sense we can get a room, hopefully, there will be food places open. Hubby will still be in country then. I have talked with TA, but she wanted some time to use all the information I gave her, to come up with some ideas. Hope to speak to her tomorrow. The boys turned 18, and 17 last week. School will end the day before we leave to drive to Galveston. This will be our second cruise in a year.

I would love to go on a CM cruise, and will one of these days, but until my hubby's job is complete overseas, I must work around that.

Have you cruised before?

Luanne

Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old July 23rd, 2005, 07:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

We were on the Golden Princess for a NY Eve cruise one year, so the ship was still decorated. I have read that other ships are decorated beautifully. This ship was not, however, which surprised the heck out of me honestly.

In this area, there is NOTHING open Chistmas Eve, or day. Room service may be the way to go. Good luck!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 24th, 2005, 10:38 AM
DENISE H

on our frist cruise we went the frist week in Dec the lobby was decorated for christmas
the show for the last night was a preview of there christmass show they even had
santa claus
Old July 24th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Admiral

Thanks Denise.

Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old July 24th, 2005, 08:53 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Cruising over Christmas

We were on the Elation last year (December 19 through December 26). The ship was beautifully decorated for Christmas. The day we arrived, they were even serving complimentary champagne at lunch on the lido deck. On Christmas Day, they had a wonderful assortment of Christmas treats in the LIdo Deck dining room which was very nice. They also served a Christmas dinner (turkey and dressing, etc. on Christmas. )That was a very interesting cruise. The day we arrived back in Galveston, the port was covered in white snow which was a shock for those of us who live in the Galveston area.
I think that this was the first time in 100 years that the snow stayed on the ground for 24 hours. It was amazing to see pictures of palm trees surrounded by snow. Anyway, the Christmas cruise was great. Our family had a wonderful time.
Old July 25th, 2005, 09:33 AM
Admiral

Dear Gambler,

You are the person I have been looking for. You say you live in Galveston, so here's my question. We are cruising from the 18th to the 25th. Coming back on Christmas day, we are or have to stay in Galveston for the night at least. I am worried about anything being open. Some places close down for Christmas, and I wonder about Galveston. I would hate to feed my family from the snack machine at the local gas station.

What do you think?

Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old July 25th, 2005, 01:14 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Cruising over Christmas

Hi Luanne,

I live on Galveston Bay in the Seabrook area which is about 20-25 minutes from the Port of Galveston. However, we used to own a weekend home in Galveston. There will be very few places open on Christmas Day. However, at Moody Gardens, which is a Galveston Tourist Attraction/Hotel-- their Garden Restaurant will be open on Christmas Day in the evening (I think it will open around 4 pm but you need to double check). Moody Gardens will be open on Christmas Day for the Festival of Lights. They will have the gardens decorated with millions of lights and there will be holiday music provided by local choirs and bands. I think the festival starts around 6 in the evening on Christmas Day. There will be an admission charge if you attend the Festival of LIghts. The Garden Restaurant will be have a buffet for $16.04 for adults (ages 13 and above) and $10.05 for ages under 13. I think you might be able to order off of the menu also. I think you can probably eat at the restaurant even if you do not attend the Festival of LIghts. Just check with them to make sure. You could even stay at their hotel if that would be convenient for you. To learn more about Moody Gardens they have a website www.moodygardens.org. Their website explains a lot and there is an 800 number you can call if you have further questions. I am still checking around to see if anything else might be open. Some of the other resorts might offer a buffet on Christmas. But for the most part everything is closed on Christmas day. We have a lot of restaurants nearby in what is known as the Kemah Boardwalk on Galveston Bay. But it looks like all of them will be closed on Christmas day. I will keep checking for you. Please email me
at jclarkson@houston.rr.com if you have other questions. You are going to love the Elation. We had such a great time last Christmas on that ship.

Sheri
Old July 25th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Bobrich

Have done this many times. Hotels, airports are open for travelers. Most restaurants are closed. Just plan ahead and eat in a hotel. Planes are usually empty and traffic is good. Celebrate the holiday with a dinner on another day. We have often as a family moved holidays. Mothers Day has been moved many years. My kids enjoy picking a day and just surprise me with flowers, gifts, etc. I never know in advance what day will be mothers day. This year I was surprised with celebrating it at the end of June. Some years, it's been in August. It's never near any real holiday. Restaurants are not crowded. I love it.