Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 25th, 2005, 06:13 PM
venice

Default Before They Were Famous

Just received the latest issue of my college's Alumni magazine which featured 40 outstanding graduates under 40..since I graduated in 1973 it caused me to remember people who I actually went to college with who would up being very famous or infamous...I like to say I went to school with them but did not know them..for example

Jerry Seinfield was one year behind me, but lived on my dorm floor, he dropped out but became pretty famous and I remember he use to hang out with a guy that I use to hang out with

Al Roker was one year behind me and I actually knew him as a little fat freshman (but I am very proud of him now)

in terms of infamous, Scott Sullivan (of World Com infamy)

did you go to school (high school or college) with anyone who is now famous or infamous ?
Sponsored Links
Old July 25th, 2005, 06:32 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Before They Were Famous

Went to Jr High with Adam Sandler.

Carnival Miracle
Old July 25th, 2005, 07:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Hi Venice,
I went to high school with Donna Summer, Also Alva Chin, who was Halston model. She is doing a commerical on tv now for some womans drug, and a womans singing group, who's name I think, was 9 Degrees. They had a big hit in the 70's I think. Since my name is the name of a minor celeb...I get asked on the phone if I am she...I say, if I say yes, what does it get me

Post Edited (07-25-05 19:29)

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 25th, 2005, 07:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I did not go to school with anyone famous. As a child we went to visit some relatives in Acton Mass. This was back in the early 50's when I was very young. I remember a teen age boy who had a lot of puppetts. He put on a show and entertained we younger children for hours. He was a distant cousin to me. Later in life he became famous on Sesame Street as Big Bird and was also a Muppetteer for Jim Henson. His name is Carroll Spinney. I do believe he still lives in Massachusetts or possibly Connecticut.

Laura

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old July 25th, 2005, 09:12 PM
susancruzs

Not really but more with kids of famous parents/relatives, some more locally famous, WGN radio/TV and newspaper columnist. One girl was Frank Sinatra's niece and he actually did come to the area to visit.

My dad went to New Trier in Winnetka, my sister has his yearbook, and New Trier was known for quite a few famous alumni.
Old July 25th, 2005, 10:38 PM
Admiral

Well.........................o.k., I have not told this to anyone in my life except for Mrs. Thomas but I will share it here. I dated, for about 4 months, Vanna White when I was in my early 20's and she was in her late teens. She was a wonderful person back then and I suppose she is the same now.

I've had beers with Dick VanDyke in O'Hare Airport. Shot pool with Jim Belushi in Denver. Rode a ski lift chair with Ricky Shroeder in Telluride, Co., played golf in Orlando with Colin Montgomery, shot the breeze in my restaurant with Ernie Els, Fred Funk, Lynard Skynard band, and people of the mafiosa whom I'm too scared to name!

Regards,
Thomas
Old July 25th, 2005, 11:53 PM
AR

Does anybody know who Jack Wrangler is? I went to college with him. If anybody does know who he is, I think it would be interesting if you'd post a reply and admit it.

Also went to college with Peter Strauss, the actor. Oh, and Linda Tripp went to my high school, but she started the year after I graduated. Oh, and what is it about super-rich familes naming their daughters Paris? I never knew Paris Hilton (thank God), but I did go to college with Paris Singer, whose family had something to do with sewing.

But since I then went to work in the film and TV business, I wound up working with everybody from Jimmy Stewart to Pat Paulsen to Lorne Greene, and tons of other well known folks. Most all of them I found to be perfectly normal people who put on their pants one leg at a time. Many of them were extraordinarily pleasant.
Old July 26th, 2005, 12:27 AM
Admiral

Nope, not back then, but I recently met Canadian Idol Ryan Malcolm, who is actually the son of a guy I went to high school with (boy, does that make me feel old!)

donna

Old July 26th, 2005, 10:08 AM
First Mate

Location: Near Liz's favourite home, Windsor Castle, Berkshire, U.K.
Default Re: Re: Before They Were Famous

Well my name to fame is that I actually went to school with and also dated for about 6 months our very own Sir Steven Redgrave, the great Olympian who is the only rower ever to have won 5 consecutives golds in the world!!!!

He still lives quite close to me and when we happen to cross each other's paths, pass the time of day.

Also, my father when he was in the London Metropolitan Police was one of the 2 officers who arrested Ruth Ellis, who became famous or infamous for being the very last woman ever to have been hung in this country....

and yes, have had the opportunity adn honour to actually have a few minutes 'chat' with the Queen when she presented my husband's regiment (The Coldstreams Guards) with their new colours.......

REgards,
KG
Old July 26th, 2005, 11:19 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I met Phil Donahue in a airport once. When I was a little girl, John Wayne was the grand marshall in the 4th of July parade in Atlanta. My little group was twrilling our batons and he was riding in a car. It was hot and the route long, he got mad and said "Get these babies a F*** drink. I told my Gmother who I had seen and what he said, she was not happy.Also when I was a little girl, our house keeper would come several days a week to clean. She would bring recordings of her preacher to play on our Hi Fi, because she didn;t have anything to play them on at home. I would sit and listen, because her preacher had the best voice. I had of course heard preachers sense I could remember, but this one held my attention. Her preacher was killed in Memphis, and there is now a memorial for him in Atlanta.

My favorite celeb. encounter was in the mid eighty's The Army was moving us again to Germany. Hubby was already over there and I was following. I left Monterray Calif. at 5:30 in the morning, to San fran, and had a 2 hour layover. Then on to Chacago where iI had another long layover. Did I mention I was traveling with my husband's newly aquired Doberman puppy, who did not like that box he was in? I am standing in line, and hear a commotion behind me. I turn around and it's just a man clearing his throat loudly. I smile and turn back around. A few minutes later, I feel a tap on my shoulder, and it is him wanting to know if I want an autograph. I said no thanks, and turn back around. Please keep in mind, I loved baseball, I knew who he was, but I needed that drink that Mr. Wayne wanted me to have years ago, only with something stronger in it. and i didn;t want a dog who made noises all the way to Germany. He was not happy with me. I won't tell you his name, because he is very much alive, and a Hall of Famer now.

On our way home from germany, hubby and i traveled together, and we brought back that same now grown dog, a 9month old, and I was 8 months pregnant. Sitting in the airport was a basketball player, who I would name if i remembered it, because he was a jerk. He was traveling with not one, but 5 Barbie Doll gone wild looking girls. My stomach was so big the tray table would not go down, so I ate off my stomach. Anyway,
He asked very loudly for me to get up, give my seat to one of his girls. He said you look like you need to be exercising more. What came out of my mouth, was not me talking. I told him where he could go, what he could do when he got there. When it was over, I looked at my husband, and his mouth was open, and the B-ball player got up, and took Barbie's with him. Never mess with a woman who is so pregnant she can bend steel.

Finally, I dated the son of a promoter in Atlanta years ago. He had tickets to every concert and sports event that came to town. This was the 70's so those of you who remember back then should know. We partied with the stars. It was fun and now sureal. The Who, Stones, except they were the Rolling Stones back then, Led Zepplin, and many more.

Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old March 17th, 2011, 01:09 AM
Admiral

Default Bringing up an old thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice View Post
Just received the latest issue of my college's Alumni magazine which featured 40 outstanding graduates under 40..since I graduated in 1973 it caused me to remember people who I actually went to college with who would up being very famous or infamous...I like to say I went to school with them but did not know them..for example

Jerry Seinfield was one year behind me, but lived on my dorm floor, he dropped out but became pretty famous and I remember he use to hang out with a guy that I use to hang out with

Al Roker was one year behind me and I actually knew him as a little fat freshman (but I am very proud of him now)

in terms of infamous, Scott Sullivan (of World Com infamy)

did you go to school (high school or college) with anyone who is now famous or infamous ?
I went to high school with :

United States Senator Barbara Boxer ,Basketball immortal Roger Brown ,
Syracuse grad /Impressario Steve Rubell ,poet Jon Killens .
Old March 17th, 2011, 01:54 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollerdonna View Post
Nope, not back then, but I recently met Canadian Idol Ryan Malcolm, who is actually the son of a guy I went to high school with (boy, does that make me feel old!)

donna
What ever happened to him? Is he a recording artist? My fave was Kaylan Potter, but he too seems to have disappeared.

I went to school with the girl who played the "madam" on Entourage. I never really knew her in school, though she was in my grade. Anyone know comedian Russell Peters? His mom was a "Lunch Lady" in our highschool cafeteria.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old March 17th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Admiral

Sonja Ames, the daughter of Ed Ames, of the singing group, the Ames Brothers, was in my sunday school class. Sonja was the most down to earth girl. Later, her family moved to California.
Old March 17th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Admiral

I forgot that the author ,playwright ,director and producer Gerald C. Maxey and I were in hs together ,
Old February 28th, 2013, 08:50 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Eg Greene attended my high school and Danny weurffel we all played football at Fort Walton beach high they made it
EGs dad still is a track coach
Old March 7th, 2013, 12:07 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I'm from Phoenix - no one famous ever came from here: have run into Alice Cooper a few times. Glen Campbell lived nearby (was arrested for DUI a few times)..
Old March 7th, 2013, 12:57 PM
Admiral

Default Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
I'm from Phoenix - no one famous ever came from here: have run into Alice Cooper a few times. Glen Campbell lived nearby (was arrested for DUI a few times)..

A resident of a Phoenix suburb is the editor and publisher of the largest citculating music magazine in the world .
Old March 8th, 2013, 09:50 AM
Admiral

Professional wrestler Ultimate Warrior

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old March 8th, 2013, 08:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Many years ago I was visiting friends in Apopka, Florida. The first night I was there a friend of theirs dropped in. He was just back from the Army. Eventually he suggested we all go to a local lounge for a drink. We all sat there chatting. He was telling us of seeing his family again when he arrived home. On the way home we dropped him at his home and he invited us in to meet his wife and son. Her name was Emily. Many years later I learned that she went on to become Emmy Lou Harris.
One time coming home from Florida we flew to Philadelphia and found our flight to Manchester NH was cancelled due to an ice storm. We were put up at a hotel for the night. As I was walking through the lobby of the hotel I saw Pat Paulson from the Smothers Brothers tv show.
On my first cruise I met the movie star Mamie Van Doren on a shore excursion from St Thomas.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain