Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 26th, 2005, 09:04 PM
salem5050

Default Amazed how people have to attack someones character for thei

I am always amazed at how certain people feel the intense need to attack someones character due to a opion they post on the board. (space program opinion by me). I do not care what someone thinks about my opinion on a subject, I just find it childish for people to attack someones character for their opinion.
But, I have been around long enough and can take it! I just laugh to myself and feel sorry for the attacker.
But, I do worry about the people that get hurt feelings and then never post a opinion again. Don't let these people scare you off. Voice your opinion!!! It sure makes it a more interesting place if we all have different opinions. Just do not stoop to childish attacks on the person, save it for 2nd grade where that happens often with children!!!

Mary Margaret
Sponsored Links
Old July 26th, 2005, 10:23 PM
rosetattoo

Default Re: Amazed how people have to attack someones character for

I agree with you Mary Margaret, I have been blasted on these boards for simply stating my opinion and waited for someone to knock on my door with the tar and feathers. Space exploration, in my opinion, has always been a phenomenal waste of the taxpayers money, the so called benefits derived from space exploration do not justify the enormous monetary burden not to mention loss of life.
Old July 26th, 2005, 10:26 PM
AR

Ya know Salem, I just read through the string you started from one end to the other, and I'm afraid I didn't find one post that attacked your character. Not one.

Lots disagreed with you, one pulled your leg a little, and another was a bit strong and called you a complainer, but still didn't attack you personally.

If you're going to stake a position on an issue like this, you have to expect strong responses both ways. It goes with the territory. The censors here are pretty good at keeping true personal attacks under control, but in all honesty there just aren't any in your string, at least up to this point.
Old July 26th, 2005, 11:15 PM
Admiral

I think somebody deleted that post....

donna

Old July 26th, 2005, 11:51 PM
Admiral

While there is no excuse for character assasination, I have to agree with AR that the subject is extremely provocative and it is expected that people would react passionately in opposition to your views.
Since people are willing to risk their lives being shot into space and other's have paid the ultimate price with their lives, the space program certainly holds a great deal of value and meaning to some people.
Old July 27th, 2005, 12:37 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

The easiest and best way to handle a post that is a personal attack is to use the "Report Post" feature ... not post about it.

Whether contentious issues, or not, personal attacks are not allowed.

The reaction is once again a clear example of why politics and religion should be avoided. And though some might think this wasn't a policitical issue. When you are talking about social programs and government spending... it certainly IS a political discussion.

There are LOTS of policitical discussion groups on the Internet. I suggest these topics should posted in those groups!!!

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old July 27th, 2005, 03:35 AM
venice

Salem5050..I hope you did not interpret my last post as an attack on you..If yes, please understand it was not..often regular posters will post to stimulate a strong response to the opposite of their post..brain stimulation per say
Old July 27th, 2005, 06:00 AM
salem5050

Venice....I had no problem at all with your response. at all! The posters that attacked my character were deleted...thanks to the wonderful moderators on this board.

I still think its ok to voice your opinon on subjects, its quite interesting with the mix of people from all over to see how they feel on subjects.

Mary Margaret
Old July 27th, 2005, 08:13 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to BrendaS Send a message via Yahoo to BrendaS

I am pretty opinionated on some topics and I hold many beliefs that I know are not popular in today's world so I wouldn't post anything on this board that might draw a negative response unless I was ready to deal with that kind of feedback.

When you post messages like your space exploration one you need to be ready for all kinds of opinions in reply. If you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen. (How cliche' is that?? )
Old July 27th, 2005, 01:44 PM
Admiral

As a poster who has posted "contentious" topics in the past, for me getting slammed is no biggie, and comes with the territory. That being said,

I have noticed that your pet topics do tend to lean toward the contentious, no criticism intended. If you wish to enter that domain, you must have "strong shoulders" and a tolerance for having your comments deleted. This is a public forum, abeit anonymous, and moderate sensibilities do hold sway here.

Post Edited (07-27-05 22:46)

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old July 27th, 2005, 06:02 PM
Admiral

Mary Margaret, I think you have fun getting reactions out of people. Your initial post was just as much an instigator as was mine.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old July 27th, 2005, 07:29 PM
Admiral

I learn a long time ago that if someone`s opinion, criticism or whatever gets you rile up, makes you angry etc., they have control over you. You cannot get rile up unless you decide you want to.

If you can do something about it, do it. Otherwise, just forget about it and keep on trucking. Life is just too short to be angry and have someone controlling you.

That is my story and I'm sticking to it.

Bill
Old July 27th, 2005, 08:57 PM
salem5050

Marc, the difference in my posts from yours are that I ask people their opinon on things, I do not attack them when they disagree with my opinon, I love debates thats for sure. But I like to debate with people on a adult level. I think you know what I mean. I never never tell anyone their opinion is WRONG just because I do not agree with them.

I find it fascinating to hear what people think on different subjects, and oh how boreing it would be if we all agreed with each other all the time!!!

Mary Margaret