Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 27th, 2005, 01:00 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C
Default Sooo Big

"ROYAL CARIBBEAN: While Royal Caribbean is building no less than 3 sisters of the 158,000-ton, 4,000-berth Freedom of the Seas class (beginning in June 2006) and with Carnival Corporation looking at the 180,000-ton, 4,500-berth "Pinnacle Project," rumor is about that Royal Caribbean is already making "pencil plans" for a 200,000-ton with some 4,800 berths. The race for great size and high capacity continues!"

This from the World Ocean Liner Cruise Society. What are they thinking of?!!! Oh yeah, money!

My Comments
Not for us. The Voyager of the Seas was to large for us. During peak times the passengers were like rabbits multiplying every where, 3400 plus passengers. The main dining area was a zoo. The mall during certain times you could not even move. When they held a function it was like Times Square on New Years Eve in the mall. For what, a cheap glass of champagne, I don't think so.
Thank you, we will stick with the passengers and ship of around 2000 or less. My opinion.

Sea of Cortez on Ryndam 9-28-2005

Round trip Los Angeles to Hawaii, Summit March 26, 2006

Vancouver Alaska Los Angeles, Sept 16, 2006 on Summit

Post Edited (07-27-05 01:01)

Sponsored Links
Old July 27th, 2005, 01:16 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
Default Re: Sooo Big

Steve - I just hope that in a few years that size of ship is still available to us! I'm afraid that bigger is NOT better, but I don't think the major cruise lines understand it at all!

Old July 27th, 2005, 01:23 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Y2:
If I was cruising with teens or younger folks I would choose a Voyager class ship but otherwise I am not a big fan of the mega ship.

It offers some great features such as the ice skating rink but that is the only feature that really set it off in my mind. I would prefer a more intimate environment. I actually prefer a 70,000 ton ship or even the smaller Renaissance or Oceania ships.

That's what I like about cruises. There are always choices.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 27th, 2005, 03:29 AM
venice

Y2C...I agree with you..I often think the cruise industry is going the way of the airline industry...the airlines had too much capacity and when the economy went south there was over capacity which resulted in the problems we see today.

However I think cruise strategic planners are building these huge mega ships for two reasons...1) ego (to boast who has the largest..it's like a P*&^) match between two teenage boys whose hormones are amok) and 2) since so many Americans have never cruised, they use these mega vessels as a way to attract the first time cruisers in an economy of scale..and hope they will return but will want to go to the smaller ships

Airlines built these massive airplanes but the reality very few airports can actually handle them..cruise ships continue to get bigger but very few ports can handle them..just think if 2 or 3 of these 4000+ berth ships were in St Thomas at the same time..chaos
Old July 27th, 2005, 05:17 AM
Admiral

While I agree that bigger isn't always better, I cannot wait to experience the new Freedom Class ship. I've sailed on Voyager of the Seas as well as Brilliance and Jewel of the Seas. I love the two different classes for different reasons. I agree with Mike that the Voyager class is ideal for families and that is what made me decide to do our family reunion on Mariner of the Seas. For more intimate cruising, I prefer Brilliance and Jewel of the Seas.
Freedom of the Seas looks as though it is going to have so many innovative features and I cannot wait to sail on her.

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old July 27th, 2005, 05:56 AM
SarahJ

I am avoiding the Freedom class. The Voyager class was too big and reminded me of a shopping mall at Christmas time. People everywhere and for me, it lost the classy feeling that cruise lines are supposed to have. I will be avoiding any ship over 110,000 tonnage and will try to book all of my future cruises with ships under 90,000 tonnage for as long as I can.
Old July 27th, 2005, 07:46 AM
Jeanne&Ellis

I agree about the ships getting too big, Brilliance OTS, and Millennium class ships are the biggest for me personally. We went on the Princess Grand once and although it was fun exploring and seeing new things, I still go back to my 70, to 90,ton ships. Although DH wants to try the larger size just to see the inovations. Must be a "man" thing.
Old July 27th, 2005, 09:42 AM
Happy Camper

We went on the Destiny when it first came out because of all the hype and were very dissapointed. We saw the Celebration (small 45,000 ton ship) that we had sailed on before in the port of Cozumel and watched her pull away realizing we would rather be on her as we had so much more FUN on her. Less people and so the people were more open and friendly... From that time on we have not picked the ship for the ship itself. We would like to try a mega ship as in the Grand class of Princess or the Voyager class of RCL but we have not been willing to pay more or fly further just to go on a particular ship. We have a lot of fun and meet a lot of people on a smaller ship (70,000 ton or less) and pay a lot less. One day... Even now that the Grand is in the Galveston port part of the year the price is a lot higher than the other ships here (I get discounts with credit card points with certain brands) so I'm not willing to pay extra.... One day. I'm afraid like the poster above I will disappointed and why pay more for that?? Debbie
Old July 27th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Admiral

I too think that the ships are getting too big, and too crowded! I like the Princess "Grand" class ships for our family reunion (so there is something for everyone to do), however for the lovely Mrs. Jones and I, we prefer the 45 to 70 thousand ton ships. You actually get to see some people more than once!! WOW,,,,what a concept!!
See you aboard,
Ken
Old July 27th, 2005, 08:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

For us, we love the larger ships....much more activities, usually larger pool decks. Been on a few and never felt that crowded feeling or standing in long lines. I can't wait to cruise and see Freedom of the Seas....but thats just my feelings on these mega ships. I was also suprisded that I never had to wait for the breakfast or lunch buffet on any of these ships...

Message Boards Moderator