CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Bermuda by land not sea (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/273833-bermuda-land-not-sea.html)

PapaBill July 27th, 2005 01:20 PM

Bermuda by land not sea

We flew to Bermuda last Thursday morning from Newark airport. Just a comment, Newark has to be the worst run airport in the US.
We have cruised to Bermuda twice and this was to be a different experience. Most of the days we were there we encountered either no ships , arrival day for ships or departure day for ships. We stayed at the Oxford House in Hamilton. Located on Woodburne St. about a 3 block walk to the "birdcage" on Front Street. Oxford House is a Bed and Breakfast type facility and not new by any means. Our cab ride cost $25 from the airport plus $ 3 for bags and a tip. By the time we checked in and unpacked, the weather had turned to on and off torrential downpours. We explored Front Street as the last few Horizon passengers scrambled around town for souvenirs and cursed the weather.
The big news for anyone who has ever travelled to Bermuda was the closing on Saturday the 23rd of Trimminhams and Smiths after 160 years . These two shops, which dominated the retail space on Front Street, closed their doors in favor of Bank of Bermuda (now HSBC) renovating them for office space. Downtown Hamilton was humming on Saturday with all the locals headed their for a last goodbye and a last good buy.
Dinner was at a local restaurant/bar called M.R.Onions (not Mister Onions but "Emme" R" as in "them are" Onions (an onion being a native of Bermuda). It is three blocks up Par-La -Ville Road. About 5 blocks from the docks in Hamilton. We had a great fish dinner, early bird special and several great rum punches. Food in Bermuda is not cheap and bill always includes a 15% tip .Relatively speaking this was a very affordable meal. (and yummy). More later.

Happy Camper July 27th, 2005 01:32 PM

Re: Bermuda by land not sea

LOVE to hear more - and also which do you prefer - cruise to Bermuda or to fly there. I've always wanted to see the island but have thought maybe to just fly there or take a repositioning cruise that that was one of the stops. Debbie

TBug July 27th, 2005 01:43 PM

Is "Rum Punches" on your diet? :)

Waiting for more...
TBug

jack124 July 27th, 2005 03:24 PM

cruised to bermuda in 2002 and was totally disappointed. rain and more rain. natives were snobby to tourists, and food average, but very expensive. only redeeming time was a buggy ride for five hours by a friendly local. naturally paid $$$$ for ride, but at least he was personable

PapaBill July 27th, 2005 03:46 PM

Re: Re: Bermuda by land not sea

Debbie, for a first experience, I would cruise out of NY, Boston or Philadelphia. You get to spend most of 4 days in Bermuda and that includes overnights. We cruised there twice before doing this land vacation.
Jack, on our first visit it rained for most of our stop. It did not stop us from having a great time and wanting to go back. I find the locals to be extraordinarily happy and friendly. Sorry your experience was not the same.

bigjohn461 July 27th, 2005 04:29 PM

PapaBill...you are dangling a steak in front of a hungry tiger..let us have more..>VBG< when you get time of course.

CruisinK&J July 27th, 2005 07:21 PM

Wow, Bermuda must have really changed over the years. Some years back, my DH and I cruised to Bermuda from NYC. We had a wonderful time. We hired a taxi cab to take us around for the day. It wasn't too costly, and driver was very personable.

My DH wears his Tillingham's belt often. He read this thread and remembered that when we were in Italy, he wore the belt and someone recognized it as being from Trillingham's!

Judy