Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 29th, 2005, 01:29 AM
Admiral

Default How can you cruise, and not know what ship?

Today, one of my daycare kids was wearing a Princess Cruise Panama Canal T-shirt. I asked his mom if they had cruised, and she said no, it was his grandparents who had cruised. However, the grandparents will be celebrating their 50th anniversary and have booked a cruise for the whole family in August, and she was quite excited about going. I asked her which cruise line, and which ship - no idea! All she knew was that they were going to the Mediterranean! Naturally, she now has orders to go home and find out which ship and report back to me tomorrow!!

donna

Old July 29th, 2005, 01:36 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: How can you cruise, and not know what ship?

I don't understand it either Donna. Shortly after our first cruise we were at a friend's house & I had taken pictures to show everyone. There was a lady there I didn't know. When I pulled out my pics she said she had been on her first cruise 2 years before & loved it. When I asked her which ship she couldn't tell me. All she knew was that it was Royal Caribbean. I think that's even more surprising. She had been on the ship already!
Nancy

Explorer of the Seas
Old July 29th, 2005, 01:44 AM
Admiral

I hate to bring religion into this but....
Forgive them lord for they do not know what they do. LoL

Celebrity Constellation November 2010

TALLY HO!!!
Chin Chin and all that!
Old July 29th, 2005, 02:00 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

I always find it amazing how many people book a cruise and not know the ship or itinerary.
I'm completely flabbergasted they can find their way to the ship. Even with transfers they are like cattle being herded to the slaughter house.

We once met a couple on the plane that commented they are going on a cruise out of Miami. When asked what ship they had no idea. Good lord these people must have some luck on their side to make the ship.
By the way they were on the same cruise as us, saw them at check in. Wonder how they made it to the ship???

Oh yea, they held up a sign "I'M stupid help me".

Sea of Cortez on Ryndam 9-28-2005

Round trip Los Angeles to Hawaii, Summit March 26, 2006

Vancouver – Alaska – Los Angeles, Sept 16, 2006 on Summit

Old July 29th, 2005, 03:17 AM
dfrancis

That is amazing - a lot of the pleasure for me is all the research and information gathering I do beforehand! I have to be really strict with myself not to get too excited and make myself ill beforehand!

Either these people are extremely cool or they have done and seen so much in their lives that nothing is exciting any more (how sad.)
Old July 29th, 2005, 03:17 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I met a woman recently who said "the Carnival one" when I asked her which ship she had sailed on. Another memorable line I have heard is "the one in Miami".

Laura

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old July 29th, 2005, 04:52 AM
Sea Queen

I had lunch with some co-workers a couple of days ago and I was talking about cruising to one of the girls who had taken a mediterranean cruise about a year ago. I asked her which ship she had been on and she had no clue! All she could tell me was that it was a Royal Carribean cruise ship. Don't people realize how important that information is? No wonder people complain after they come back from a cruise. They're obviously not doing much research beforehand if they don't even know what ship they were on. I then started telling her about my cruise on Royal Carribean, which was on the Explorer of the Seas, and described some of the features that that ship has and she was stunned. She actually thought that all the ships were the same and that they had pretty much the same itinerary.

Gail
Old July 29th, 2005, 04:53 AM
Yeoman

Ok, I have a good one too. went into my local AAA and was getting tour books and maps for our cruise in Nov. Mentioned that it was a fundraiser cruise and the receptionist told me she had another person who had just come in that was on the same cruise My fellow cruiser told her the wrong ship. Duh! Now, I realize that when you live near a port (as we do) it mat be tough but we are 3 months out. Ya think ya might know ? Oh well, hope these people find the right ship in port
Anne

Caribbean Princess
Old July 29th, 2005, 05:35 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

This always amazes me. I'd love to be one of these oblivious people for just one day to see how they get through life. I don't say this to be mean....I just wonder what it's like.
Angela Z.

Old July 29th, 2005, 06:22 AM
AR

I always enjoy trying to put myself in the other person's shoes.

In this case the other person can't believe these "cruise fetishists" who know every detail about every ship, including the captain's name and how many tons of water it displaces (whatever THAT means!). They shake their heads and say, "Don't these people have a life?"

Maybe they have a point.

:-)
Old July 29th, 2005, 07:00 AM
Admiral

Donna:

What is even worst than not knowing the ship is not knowing really where they are going. I know someone who is going to the mediterranean this October. Her second cruise. I asked her what is she the most excited about seeing. Her reply was, "I dunno, I know we get to see Italy, but after that I don't know... some other counties, I think!" Urrrggghhh

What a waist of good money. She is going on this, for some a once in a lifetime cruise and would not even bother to do some homework on some truely wonderful ports and countries. Makes me sick.

I can't get too pissed at her thou, she is the one watching my kids when I go in September! (scary huh)

TBug

9-10-05- Triumph- New England
Old July 29th, 2005, 07:30 AM
Admiral

I heard a really good one on one of our Grand Princess cruises. We were standing at the pursers desk, and there was a lady in front of us filling out a comment card. We waited patiently and she turned to her husband and asked "what ship are we on?"

HELLO? What ship are you currently standing on? Good Grief, how did you ever get back on it at ports?

AMAZING!!!

Old July 29th, 2005, 07:41 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I too have come across that same thing many times, and I just don't understand how someone doesn't know or remember the ship they will be cruising on.....very weird. I always know :-) Or better yet, they will say Carnival and think thats the name of the specific ship.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 29th, 2005, 08:08 AM
susancruzs

Amazes me, too! Even before the internet age, I bought books, went to the library, found out everything I could about where I was going!

The ultimate was on a transatlantic where this lady was totally complaining about the sea days!!! Hmmm, we're going from New York to France, not too many islands on the way!

I thought she was complaining about the lack of activities, but no, she said I like ports, I didn't realize we'd have so many sea days! You booked a cruise going from Miami to New York then on to France and England, ports what ports???

Geeesh!

Susie
Old July 29th, 2005, 08:17 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to BrendaS Send a message via Yahoo to BrendaS

OK....this is coming from a newbie...wait til I'm done before you beat me up, lol.

When I first started looking into going on a cruise heres what was going through my mind -

1. I thought I'd look but not buy because only rich people can afford cruises and since I'm not rich I couldn't actually afford to go on one.

2. I though a cruise meant you got on a really big boat and sailed around a particular part of the ocean or along a particular coast and just looked at scenery as you floated along. I didn't know you actually stopped anywhere until you got back from where you got on the boat. When I found out you actually stopped at places along the way I thought "Hey, that's a great idea!"

3. I thought a lady I knew who said she was cruising on such-n-such ship was just being a little braggy because she could afford a cruise. Kinda like her saying "I'm going to go get a few groceries in my Porche. Want to know what time it is? Sure, let me just check my Rolex."

I've learned a lot since visiting sites like this one...but at one time I didn't have a clue. Still, I think I would have wanted to know the name of the ship I was cruising on so I could have had my bragging rights too, lol.
Old July 29th, 2005, 08:48 AM
L&S80

The couple that got us hooked on cruising doesn't have a clue about where they go or what ship.......can't find their room either......when they use to have the can ashtrays in the halls he would put one by his door so he knew where his room was......<S> The day they got home you could ask them about where they went, what they did etc....& they didn't have a clue......does make one wonder......

But at least they got us hooked & gotta give 'em that!!!! <S>

Sharon

Old July 29th, 2005, 09:05 AM
Admiral

here's a classic, you are talking to a married friend- sorry guys, but this seems to be the case, he mentions that they are going on a cruise soon, you ask him - what ship, if you are lucky he will know the cruise line, then he turns to his wife, and asks 'honey......????
DH is somewhat gulity of this, he might not care about which ship we are on, but he knows about his ports, "we are going to the one with the Sting Rays", he will ask details as the cruise get closer, i will pull out the brochures and he will be "cool ship"
Old July 29th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

They should all walk the plank! This always amazed me too!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 29th, 2005, 10:07 AM
venice

I don't know why this should surprise anyone..believe it or not over 90% of our population has never cruised and if they do, probably would not put as much energy in it as fanatical cruisers (as in all of us) do..it may not be that important to them

plus you have to admit, to a rookie, it can be overwhelming..you would be surprise on how many people don't know which airline they are flying to a particular destination and just show up and look for the city on the board and then get confused because 3 airlines may fly there leaving at the same time
Old July 29th, 2005, 10:18 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to BrendaS Send a message via Yahoo to BrendaS

Heck venice, even I know what airlines I'm flying on... it's one of those... uhhhh... it starts with an "A" ? I think. Well anyway, I know my cruise starts with a C...or maybe it's a D.
Old July 29th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Admiral

Hey what can I tell you. We asked Thumper (DD) the other nite in chat what ship she was going on in November and she didn't have a clue. Now this is my Daughter....Guess I didn't train her well at all. Go figure.

Carnival Glory
Old July 29th, 2005, 04:16 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Donna,

Be gentle with her; Not everyone is as at the far end of the cruising spectrum as most of us are. <G>

There are fifteen ships in the Princess fleet and she is having her cruise purchased for her so the name of the ship is probably not as big of a deal. She will probably go over brochures in a short period of time.

I find it great that she's going on the cruise and will have a chance to experience it. When you get the name of the ship just tell her some things about it or point her here and the website, if she wants to learn more. Otherwise, it's also nice to just experience it.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 29th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Admiral

Thanks Mike. I saw her again today, and she still didn't have an answer for me, but I told her she's BETTER have one by Monday! Her main concern is about the Childrens' program onboard (she has a 3 and 5 yr. old) I told her it would help if I knew which cruise line and which ship!

donna

Old July 29th, 2005, 08:33 PM
Admiral

Donna,

I actually can understand this! Our first cruise was a "freebie" from my DH's company. We had less than two weeks to get our "stuff" together.

Unfortunately, I'd never heard of Cruisemates, or even the ability to go online to Carnival's website. We were just told to show up at the airport at the appointed time, and we did. It was very weird!

Thank goodness we had a wonderful time and have been cruising ever since!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old July 29th, 2005, 10:46 PM
Admiral

I'd gladly go on a "mystery cruise" on a "mystery ship" any day. I promise not to ask any questions.

Just 1 month to go until the "Cruise Cynic Mystery Cruise" ... January 2008
Old July 30th, 2005, 04:24 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I have met a lot of people who had no idea what a cruise is. When I first started doing work as an outside agent I got a lot of calls asking just "What is a cruise" I got a lot of people saying they never heard of such a thing. I guess they never watched "The Love Boat" <VBG>

Laura

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old July 30th, 2005, 11:41 AM
DENISE H

on our frist cruise we went with my in-laws my mother in law said to me do what
ever you wanted to do well see you at dinner i keep looking at my sign an sail card and
map they give us when we come aboard that how learn where things we on our second
cruise i found all the information i can and things went smother
Old August 1st, 2005, 04:52 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to marvholly

I am crusing w/ a similarly widowed friend 11/05. She Really wants to do a Vienna tour trip but is going w/ me this fall as I REALLY nedd a veg out vacation after Fathers's move, condo sale, birth of 1st GD and youngest DD's wedding. Firiend has no clue. Has not cruised since 2000. Therefore, I am doing ALL the planning for 11/05 and she is planning Spring 06 land tour for Vienna for both of us.