Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 29th, 2005, 06:20 PM
venice

Default Top 10 List (apologies Dave L)

if I were a first time cruiser and had questions about my first cruise and stumbled across the "gripe" board, I might be scared away by some of the topics and comments..so as a public service I have come up with a top 10 list, to give "virgin" cruisers great advise based upon the "gripe" board (VBG)
# 10 Book your airplane flight to arrive day of departure at 4 pm and your flight home no later then 9 am on the day of your return(why waste time getting to and from your ship)

# 9 Bring formal wear for all 7 nights (that way you are covered in case the cruise lines decide to change the formal night once you get there)

# 8 Because of all the food onboard, everyone will appear wider that they actually are (don't forget that will include yourself so don't make comments about your fellow cruisers weight)

#7 Bring plenty of nickels and dimes (and you thought your basic cruise fare covered everything heh ?)

# 6 Bring your own deck chair for the pool and plan on sleeping out by the pool deck at least twice during the week so you have prime seating (the real reason why Princess created MUTS)

# 5 Bring plenty of singles, so you can tip everyone that provides any type of service for you on the spot (that way you won't have to decide which tipping program to use)

# 4 Kids do not use the hot tub because they are required to attend "cruise school K-12( so their parents won't feel guilty about taking them out of school to go on a cruise during the school year)

# 3 Always cut in line at the buffet and at the shows (you paid your money, you have the God given right not to have to stand in line..and besides, you'll never see "those" people on your next cruise)

# 2 If you want to gurantee that you will go to all the ports as advertised, cruise during hurricane season (make sure you have your attorney's e-mail address so you can reach him/her on the internet cafe if something goes wrong)

and the # 1 piece of advise

#1 When you pack your prescription medicine and valuables in your suitcase that you check with the porter..make sure your husband/boyfriends ****** pills are not mixed in with the seasick pills (unless you are on a 4 day or less cruise)

I'm curious, what would be your top 10 list ?
Sponsored Links
Old July 29th, 2005, 06:37 PM
sailing gal

Default Re: Top 10 List (apologies Dave L)

Very good. I think there will be a few people who print that out and put it with their cruise documents. :0
K
Old July 29th, 2005, 06:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to BrendaS Send a message via Yahoo to BrendaS

I thought of one more to add. Write a letter to your cruiseline of choice complaining about what a lousy time you had and demand a refund OR a free cruise next year. If your letter is written well enough, use it over and over and you may never have to pay full price for another cruise again.
Old July 29th, 2005, 07:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

That was cute Venice. Since I was the one who made people aware that was even such a thing as a gripes board, i won't make a list. lol

I do remember the first night I found this site. I had just booked our first cruise, knew no one who cruised, so I spent half the night on this board. We were also leaving in a week(If i had set the count down clock, It would have read "ARE YOU KIDDING ME") Anyway, I found the gripe board. I was shocked. No fat people, no smoking, no chairs, no this and no that. When I got on the ship, there was a fat woman, smoking, trying to fit in the chair, and I smiled. I knew then it was going to be a good trip.

Luanne

Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old July 29th, 2005, 07:51 PM
sailing gal

some more of the top ten
10. Reserve your cruise one week prior to sailing. This ensures the best possible rate.
9. When booking your airline flight, buy two seats.
8. Place any large containers of alcohol in carry on, and be sure to mark contents clearly.
7. Pack enough frozen gourmet dinners to last the week . May come in handy in a pinch.
6. When boarding, request the room next to the elevator and below the disco.
5. If you are a smoker, be sure to light up in the non-smoking section. If you are not a smoker, request a room next to one.
4. Choose a table, spot at pool etc. next to the non english speaking family with ten kids.
3. Be sure to become acquainted with the photo staff upon arrival.
2. Why bother packing clothes or toiletries? Remember, all items can be purchased in the gift shop and the cruiseship recommended stores.
And #1. For goodness sakes-SPEND, SPEND, SPEND! Hey, you can always use next months rent to pay for it.
Old July 29th, 2005, 10:14 PM
Admiral

Have your list of complaints drawn up ahead of time and drop them off at the pursers desk as soon as you board. This gives you the edge over hundreds of others and also lets the pursers start to rectify your complaints before you even get to your cabin.
Old July 30th, 2005, 10:24 AM
Admiral

Just as soon as you get aboard, head directly to the pursers office and tell them that you don't want to tip anyone automatically, because you had terrible service. This will really impress them, and once again, put you well ahead of the others who will do the same thing later in the week.