Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 31st, 2005, 02:01 PM
Passenger

Default Costa vs. Carnival

We've been on Carnival a few times but not Costa.

Anyone have comments on Costa. Good/Bad.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old July 31st, 2005, 02:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Re: Costa vs. Carnival

Hi,
I have 2 friends, vey experienced cruisers, that went totally went ga ga over Costa, specifically the Mediterranea. They raved about the food and service, and gave it very high marks, so much so, that several friends have put Costa, on their to do list, including me..so many ships....so little time

Post Edited (07-31-05 15:29)

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 31st, 2005, 03:10 PM
susancruzs

I've been on the Costa Atlantica and posted a review on this site! I wouldn't cruise Costa as my cruise line of choice but would not rule them out either. There were things they did that I really enjoyed. I feel Costa gets a bad rap because they do not cater to American tastes and people cruise main stream want Costa to be exactly like what they are used to. Me, I'm not into complaining because one line does something another doesn't. I just say ok this is not what I expected, but wouldn't it be boring if everything were the same???

Costa has a great mix of nationalities onboard vs. other cruise lines and when we did an excursion thre were several Costa people with us, they had the languages covered.
In one place, Carnival had the majority of passengers and one harried girl was trying to handle it. Our Costa crew (3 for less people) ended up answering questions and helping. It was just Blue Lagoon but being Spring Break it was crazy there.

Dinners, food was better than I expected and I enjoyed the atmosphere every nite. It wasn't the routine like Carnival that wears on you after the second night. One night they handed roses to all the ladies, with strolling musicians, playing requests. The music during dining every night was very good. Toga night was a really a fun time. I was skeptical about the sheet business so I made one and I was quite the hit but could see that previous passengers had their own, too!

Susie
Old July 31st, 2005, 06:23 PM
Yeoman

I have sailed on both lines and didn't really see much difference. Thought the Atlantica had a carnival type atmosphere without the barker. On Costa the color in the cabins were hard on the eyes. Bright green and orange! Guess this is why I preferred the Explorer and the Grand Princess because they are more elegant!
Old July 31st, 2005, 08:38 PM
Admiral

My husband's first cruise (long before he met me) was on Costa, and he still says it was the best of his now 7 cruises. Together, we have done RCCL, HAL, and Carnival.
I have no complaints, I am just happy to be able to cruise!

donna

Old August 1st, 2005, 08:48 AM
David Starkey

Costa food and dining room service is not up to par compared to other medium priced lines. The ships themselves, I have no problem.