Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 2nd, 2005, 04:35 AM
First Mate

Location: Near Liz's favourite home, Windsor Castle, Berkshire, U.K.
Default Re: Re: What is your heritage?

Hi guys,

Believe it or not, I am a true Great Briton!!! My father is 1/2 welsh and Irish and my mother 1/2 english and scottish so I am 25% of each. As for my grandparents and their blood heritage/parentage , I cannot be completely sure so could be more diluted.

Having said that I have very dark hair but very blue eyes so am constantly told that I look very Irish and I do take after my father's side of the family who all have the blue eyes.

Strange that as my mother and all her side had/have very dark brown eyes and I was always under the impression that genetically brown eyes were more dominant than blue!!!!, but my two brothers also have inheritted the blue eyed, dark haired look as well so from the looks deparmtment, it would seem that the irish gene has been more dominant (hopefully not in the brains department though - joke, joke) To some people, we are even asked if we are italian, meditteranean due to the dark hair.

Rollerdonna, I was born in Chester which is on the border of England and North wales and my paternal grandfather came from Dublin and settled in Liverpool where he met my grandmother who was welsh.

My maternal grandfather was English and lived in Chester all his life whilst my maternal grandmother was born in Edinburgh and moved to Chester as a teenager.

Very interesting and it has made me think to try and found out more about my great grandparents and their origins.

My DH beleives that he is 100% english born and bred.

REgards,
KG
Old August 2nd, 2005, 07:35 AM
Admiral

Default Re: What is your heritage?

Here lately I feel like I am 1/2 Cruisemate and 1/2 broke...hence the reason for no countdown clock..I just love this place..>VBG<

Old August 2nd, 2005, 01:15 PM
Admiral

Default Re: What is your heritage?

I'm an international genetic cocktail. French, German, English, Welsh, Scotch, Irish, Canuck and, I just found out, possible Cajun. So I'm heavy on the French on both my mother's and father's side. Ironically, of all the languages I've studied that one is my least favorite. My maternal Great Grandmother was born in New Orleans to German immigrants. She married a local fellow and they moved to ND, where my grandmother was born. My grandmother married the son of German immigrants.
My paternal great grandparents immigrated from northern Ontario and their daughter married the son of a local fellow who had come from Chambersburg, Pa--several years before the civil war. So, I think it's reasonable to assume that I had ancestors spilling blood on both sides. Sad.

I may dwell on the land, but I live at sea!

Steve

Summit

Sensation 2/03 I disembarked, but never really left the ship.
Enchantment 9/03 Just had to go back.
Inspiration 3/04 Just have to go back again, and again, and again...
Sensation 04/05 The vessel made me do it!
Summit 03/06 It's Margaret's fault!