Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 8th, 2005, 05:03 PM
Admiral

Default Getting to the airport

I am taking a trip soon and no one will be able to take me to the airport, and I don't want to leave my car there. So my question is, how do you folks who have to get a ride to the airport do it? Is there a limo service or taxi service you use? How do you find them? How much do these services typically cost? Do you have to reserve in advance? Thanks.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Sponsored Links
Old August 8th, 2005, 05:29 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Getting to the airport

If you look in the yellow pages under "Airport Limosine Services" you will find many vendors in most markets. For instance, here in Portland, we use "Blue Star Transportation." Our round-trip transfers to the airport (about 12 miles) is $53. We just call ahead and they are quite punctual about coming just at the right time. This is generally cheaper than leaving the car at the airport which is nearly $10 per day here at PDX.

The $53 is for two passengers, singles are less of course.

Post Edited (08-08-05 17:49)
Old August 8th, 2005, 05:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

We have a Pennysaver that comes weekly..taxi's always advertise, and are usually competitive. We can get into Boston for less then $50.00..I am sure your local cabbie does these trips every day....

Post Edited (08-08-05 18:42)

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 8th, 2005, 06:23 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I live a bit far out so a taxi service is not a viable option. It is over $100 each way. I find it is less expensive to:

1. Park at the airport in the secure, covered lot. $15/day.
2. Limousine. Usually around $80 each way. About the same with tip but it's nicer way to get there.

3. Get a room near the airport and leave my wife's car at her work and take a cab to and from there. Only $20 for the cab ride and usually around $40 for the hotel room.

What we usually end up doing is just parking at the airport. It is far more convenient to just have the car there when we get back. It is covered, semi-heated and "relatively" secure. I don't like being asked to take people (other than immediate family) to the airport early in the morning or late at night so I don't do it to others. That's just me.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 8th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Admiral

Michelle:

We don't have many options in Orlando. A cab for me is around $55 each way and a sedan pickup is around $65 each way. I park at the Parking Spot for $7 per day. You can park at Thrifty for $6 per day.

One other option, it may take a while, is taking Lynx. They have a couple of routes that go to airport. I have never used them. However, I have found most city bus services have a website where you can put in time, starting point, and ending point and they will give you routes.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old August 8th, 2005, 07:11 PM
Yeoman

We have the same problem. A great distance to airport and expensive parking. $11-$14 per day). Most of the ST Louis airport hotels offer parking and shuttle to and from at little or no charge if you book a "Park and Fly" package. We booked our hotel on Hotwire or Priceline and checked the ammenities to be sure we had parking available at n/c. We got the Hilton and 1 week of parking for less than $50.

Lesley

Conquest 9/3
Glory 9/4
Valor 4/5
Old August 8th, 2005, 07:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb

Michele

We go to the air port several times per year. Each time we rent a car for one day. I use Budget because they are handy to Ocoee. I pick up the car there and leave it at the airport. Usually cost is under $30. Then I can leave my car in my garage and it will not get hail damage as it did once while parking at the Off property property lot. Then coming back I reverse the order. You have the privelage of using the rental for 1 day each time. Go for it gal.

Cruising on Ruby Princess: September 22, 2015. 10 Days, From New York to Quebec City. My 98th Cruise!
Old August 8th, 2005, 07:45 PM
CruisinK&J

I would strongly recommend the "Park and Fly" deals. We've used that a lot.

Judy
Old August 8th, 2005, 07:51 PM
Admiral

Michelle, when do you have to go to the airport? E-mail me.

Carnival Glory
Old August 8th, 2005, 08:59 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Getting to the airport

WE have the same problem when we go to Germany in December. We can't just take 1 car, we will have to ask a friend to bring us in his van. I think Ray has a good idea!

Old August 8th, 2005, 10:27 PM
Admiral

Here in Phoenix I use the Super Shuttle. You make a reservation for the trip from your house to the airport, and then returning you go out to the curb and the attendant radios for a shuttle for you. They are a shared van service and go to all areas of the valley. I just made the reservations for our upcoming Alaska cruise, and, from our house to the airport, first person is $19, 2nd person is $7, total $26 plus tip.

When I am going to be gone for jsut a few days I park at the airport economy parking lot. Longer trips are via Super Shuttle and the car stays home in the garage.

Old August 8th, 2005, 10:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

Michelle,

Let me know when you need a ride. I may be able to gjve you a lift. I, too, don't like to leave my car at the airport.

Jodi

Old August 9th, 2005, 05:05 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

Michelle,
Also feel free to email me. A trip to the airport is no problem.
Angela Z.

Old August 9th, 2005, 05:13 AM
Yeoman

Michelle,
We use the super shuttle to go to TPA. In Orlando, we do like Ray, rent a car. Most places here do not charge a drop fee if its TPA to Orlando or vice versa
Anne

Caribbean Princess
Old August 9th, 2005, 08:06 AM
susancruzs

I never park at O'Hare, even a week would cost me more than a limo and then I'm risking my life and car in the garage! :-) The remote lots are a zoo so I do the limo thing.

I'm fortunate that a retiree in the area runs a small limo service, not to make big bucks but more to keep him out of his wife's way!!! :-) He's not much more than the various shuttle vans.

With Great Lakes so close, the vans are a deal but they tend to make many stops and I get nervous time wise. I'm one of those that needs to be there early!

I dont ask anyone to drive me to O'Hare anymore, its just too much of a pain. When I leave in Sept., Labor Day Weekend, a 6:30 flight, most of my friends work and anyone that drops me off will get caught in the "get out of town and head for Wisconsin Friday afternoon" traffic!

I'm always doing limos/shuttles!

Susie
Old August 9th, 2005, 08:39 AM
Admiral

Thanks everybody. I swear I didn't post to ask for a ride! But I will be e-mailing those who asked anyway. I need to go Thursday evening around 5:45 p.m. I live about 15 minutes northeast of the airport.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old August 9th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Admiral

Oh well....so much for being helpful.....wouldn't be able to do it Thursday since we've got reservations at Emerils to celebrate my sisters 50th! Sorry...
Angela Z.

Old August 9th, 2005, 03:08 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Getting to the airport

No problem Angela... but bring back a report on Emeril's! I've heard it's sensational!

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old August 10th, 2005, 04:34 AM
Admiral

Emeril's has been wonderful. My friends son was a sous chef there before he joined the navy. We were always treated like royalty when we went with my friend....will be odd to be there without him!
Angela Z.