Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 8th, 2005, 11:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1
Default Work issue....

Today at work, we found out that a co-worker got a promotion and raise that everyone knows he did not deserve. The only reason he got it - how do I put this - is because he went to HR and had a discussion with them about being an EEOC. He hs been disgruntled for a while and does not enjoy working for the company anymore. Wanting to avoid an unjust and very unfounded lawsuit, HR relented and told our bosses to give him what he wants. It was announced today, then he complained that only 4 people congratulated him. He was promoted to a position that requires (according to company policy) an MBA or a CPA, of which he has neither - and there are currently three of us in school at a major expense to get our MBAs in order to comply with the policy in order to be promoted. If any of us felt that he deserved the promotion or that he had a just reason for playing the card he did, we would support him. The only reason he did it is because he applied for an internal position (that again requires the MBA) that he didn't get. He didn't get it because a more qualified candidate was given the position - regardless of why he thinks he didn't get it. I like this guy, and consider him a friend, but this really gets under my skin. There are a lot more details to this, too many to put here, but I guess my being one of them that is gathering more debt to get to where I want to be, it is very disturbing to me.

Thanks for letting me vent - I obviously cannot vent to co-workers/friends on this subject.

Jodi

Sponsored Links
Old August 9th, 2005, 07:12 AM
VTJen

Default Re: Work issue....

Jodi,

Those types of things are frustrating. You are wise not to vent at work, as it could cause more problems and hard feelings. Keep working hard. You'll come out much further ahead. Once you finish your course you will have that piece of paper that not only your company wants, but lots of other corporations want also. You are investing in you and your future. Education is important. You will have the satisfaction of knowing that you play by the rules and earn your own way - there can't be much pride in whining and threatening your way into a promotion.

Keep working hard and keep your chin up - your hard work will pay off in the end.

VTJen
Old August 9th, 2005, 08:22 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Work issue....

AAhhh! The corporate world...never fails to surprise. I must confess my ignorance, what is an EEOC?
Old August 9th, 2005, 08:48 AM
Jeanne&Ellis

Jodi, You will feel better knowing you did your best and got the position you are striving for in the long run. I know the work place is not fair at times, but a lot has changed since I had to work, just going back for 2 years, was an eye opener to me. Good Luck and know we are behind you in this very unfair practice. Maybe if people weren't so quick to want to sue, things wouldn't be the way they are today.
Old August 9th, 2005, 09:00 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

It won't last. Good people always win in the end. Hang in there, and vent to us again, when you need to.

Luanne

Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old August 9th, 2005, 10:16 AM
Admiral

What Luanne said!!!

You can put your head down at night and sleep. Just hang in there. Sometimes they do this, then when they can't meet up to the new challenges, they end up getting fired. Which very likely may be HR's plan!!

Triumph-9-10-05 First Cruise
Caribbean Princess-9-13-06
Victory- 9-15-07-New England

**A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.**
Old August 9th, 2005, 02:53 PM
DENISE H

sounds like a spoild brat he woundt last long
Old August 9th, 2005, 03:16 PM
AR

Jodi--

The fact is that personnel departments who take the expedient way out of situations like this often trade short term gain for long term pain. What you need to keep in mind is that the job description for the position he has been given has now been rewritten--if not on paper, certainly in fact. It is now no longer necessary to have an MBA or be a CPA in order to hold that job. All you have to do is point to him.

My wife made a similar situation work for her a number of years ago when others in the same job she was doing were promoted and she was not. She filed an EEO action--against the federal government no less. It took two years, but her ultimate win included not only the promotion, but her attorney's fees and back pay to the time when her promotion was denied. A nice hunk of change and sweet revenge to boot! She was considered a hero and a trailblazer, and a number of others then filed similar suits which were quickly settled.

Most knives cut two ways, and stupid personnel administrators (of which there are many) are sometimes forced to pay a heavy price.

Worth remembering.
Old August 9th, 2005, 03:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

EEOC - Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Old August 9th, 2005, 04:05 PM
Admiral

Jodi, we know your drive and determination. You have clear goals and the drive to fulfill them. Like it has been said above, in the long run you will be the sucessful one.
I have had employees pull tactics like that here in order to cover for their poor performance, attendence etc. The person will find themselves drowning in a position they cannot handle. Right about that time Jodi will have her MBA and the story will have the right outcome.
Old August 9th, 2005, 05:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Work issue....

UConn, thanks.
Old August 9th, 2005, 05:44 PM
Admiral

Nobody ever said: ''LIFE IS FAIR''

Methink Luanne said it best and has the right attitude.

There was a book written a long time ago: ''The Peter Principal''. A quote, might not be exactly, but, the jist of it was: ''People are sometime promoted to their level of incompetency''. This is especially true in government.

Bill
Old August 10th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Admiral

I know how you feel Jodi..My wife is in the same situation .. Is this persons name Frank by any chance..>G<

Old August 11th, 2005, 10:25 AM
Male

Sometimes the person that gets under you skin bails you out when in need...you never know!
Old August 11th, 2005, 06:33 PM
Lynne &Trevor

Jodi
You are a trooper and will certainly get the position you want and deserve, the right way. Then no one can tell you that you took a short cut or didn't earn it honestly.
I think you and your colleagues who are working towards your MBA degrees will be the winners in the long run.
Trevor and I would be among the first to promote you anyday!!! Lynne