Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 9th, 2005, 12:11 PM
paoni

Default Alaska cruise

Can anyone recommend excursions for the Celebrity Mercury Alska Cruise?
Sponsored Links
Old August 9th, 2005, 12:19 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: Alaska cruise

Helicopter Flightseeing to a glacier. I recommend Juneau or Skagway. I also recommend getting in a whale watching excursion. Neither of these are cheap but you will not regret doing either one. Do not miss any opportunity to just take in the beauty of the inside passage and Alaska and don't forget the binoculars.

I went on Mercury in 2002 and it was my favorite cruise so far. I loved it so much I will be going back on the Norwegian Star, in less than one month.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 9th, 2005, 01:43 PM
larry k

I cruised the inside passage 10 years ago with stops in Ketchakan, Juneau, Skagway and Sitka. Did both the helicopter glacier tour and whale watching. While the helicopter tour was more expensive, we enjoyed it significantly more. It was a 2 stop tour called the pilots choice, where the pilot picked 2 different spots to touch down. I think we spent a total of about 45 minutes at each spot, plus the helicopter ride itself which was a lot of fun.

The whale watching was somewhat disappointing as we were expecting breaches like you see on tv and all we saw was an occasional fin and hump in the water.

Interesting enough, our favorite port was Sitka which still had a strong Russian influence. We did not book any tours there, but just walked around town, went into several little shops on narrow side streets/alleys and went into a Raptor center and watched them perform some physical therapy on an injured bald eagle.

Good luck.
Old August 9th, 2005, 07:31 PM
BoosterMom

Haven't done this boat, but have done Alaska cruise with RCCL. Helicopter on the glacier like other poster said is well worth the money. We landed and pilot found a crack in glacier with running water. He had cups for all of us to try to coldest, purest, most delicious water. We did the float plane and landed in a fiord lake. Got out and walked on the pontoons on the plane and stuck our hands in the water. Clear, very cold and the flight between the glaciers was just extraordinary. We've always said it's OK to stay on the boat on some shore ports, but not in Alaska. Book everything you can, pay what you have to, it will be worth it. When we went, it was before you could book excursions on line. It was like a lottery to get the ones you wanted. Kinda miserable, but if you did your shore excursions before Muster Stations, you had a pretty good chance of getting what you signed up for. Anything involving a plane, helicopter or train in Alaska is good!
Old August 9th, 2005, 08:19 PM
Jeanne&Ellis

Float plane in Juneau, fabulous views. White Pass and Yukon Railway, wonderful relaxing train ride and the views are awsome. Whale watching is fun, but its hit or miss depends on the season and can be disappointing to see nothing but water.
Old August 11th, 2005, 01:53 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to DalTX

I was on Mercury May 27th cruise.It was wonderful!

We did the Helicopter/glacier trek in Juneau.It was amazing! (booked thru the ship)

In Skagway,we did the White Pass Train and it was very enjoyable with beautiful scenery.

In Ketchikan,we did a float plane with Michelle of Island Wings.I can say enough good things about her.We had a great flight with a 30+ min lake landing.It was wonderful.

I cant wait to go again! Also,next time I will fit in Capt Larry Whale watch excursion.Dot